JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think that the Portuguese soldiers who used the AR10s in Angola and Mozambique would agree they were fine rifles.

Ya know, this brings up a good point...

Do the heavier components and more powerful round of a .308 AR result in a rifle that is much less susceptible to the effects of dirt and carbon buildup?

Keith

Ya know, this brings up a good point...

Do the heavier components and more powerful round of a .308 AR result in a rifle that is much less susceptible to the effects of dirt and carbon buildup?

Keith

I haven't done a torture test with my AR10 but it does seem to shoot a bit cleaner than my AR15's. I could be the ammo I'm using. I haven't shot more than 300 rounds without cleaning. What I do see is a bit more brass shavings around the extractor than I do with 5.56. The bolt is easier to clean because of it's size. I'm pretty anal about the barrel, cleaning from the chamber with a bore guide and never pull back through the barrel.

I haven't done a torture test with my AR10 but it does seem to shoot a bit cleaner than my AR15's. I could be the ammo I'm using. I haven't shot more than 300 rounds without cleaning. What I do see is a bit more brass shavings around the extractor than I do with 5.56. The bolt is easier to clean because of it's size. I'm pretty anal about the barrel, cleaning from the chamber with a bore guide and never pull back through the barrel.

That just may be it. Besides the relative 'slop' of the AK construction compared to the AR, the sheer size of the combined bolt, carrier and piston assembly is a big reason for the AKs near-immunity to contaminants.
Keith

The FAL is the battle rifle of choice to more nations in the world than any other gun and has been that way for a long time. And I have a strong sense that the military wouldnt want a new battle rifle platform that was developed in another country even though it may have won the trials and been the toughest rifle. I am not a ar hater I just have respect for both the rifles capabilities the AR platform in 308 is a great rifle (for the range or hunting) The FAL is a great rifle for the (battle field) when it just has to work no matter what.

Read American Sniper by C. Kyle he used a MK 12 which is sorta Ar-10ish, not his favorite because it "got dirty, fast" but he was also using a suppressor on that rifle.
I have tremendous faith in the old Garand system, more than ARs

I think LMT's version sure is working out as one

LMT MWS in a poppy field
LMTMWSPoppyField.jpg

If you were comparing a $2,000 FAL to a $2,000 AR-10, I believe the FAL would win out as a "battle rifle". I believe in a 16-20" barreled rifle that the FAL is superior. As a long distance scoped rifle, a 24" heavy barreled DPMS LR308 will out-perform any FAL with optics. Of course, at that level of quality both rifles should out-shoot the shooter. Short answer, yes, the AR10 with a 16-20" barrel with open sights or a low magnification sight of some kind is a battle rifle. With the heavy, longer barrel and long range optics it becomes more of a specialized rifle. To me a battle rifle is something used to kill enemies from 3 feet to 500 yards, usually with a high power cartridge along the lines of a .308 or .30-'06. For example, the Garand, FAL, AR-10, M14, Mauser '98, various Enfields in .303 British or .308 and others. An "assault rifle" to me defines something light, short and usually of an intermediate cartridge like the AK47 or in the case of the M4/M16/AR-15 & AK74, a high power cartridge that is simply to small to be in the same category as the earlier mentioned battle rifles. That, of course, is only my opinion and there are plenty valid opinions that contradict mine. Kip

Of course is it a battle rifle? Yes. Is it proven in combat? No

BTW the CIA is currently making a fortune off the opium poppy fields for future black ops

i just traded off my ar10(true ar10 made by armalite)it was a perfect battle rifle,for a cheaper rifle compared to lmt,noveske,pof
it was just as tough,just as accurate and fed every bullet i sent though it right on target.
the only bad thing i can think of was the magazines had to come from armalite or knights armament sr25 unless you modified an old m14 magazine and the mags are a little pricey at 5 for $150 from armalite.still better than the fn scar at $70each.
i would buy another armalite ar10 without a doubt.but i think im going to build an noveske 308 for my next 308 rifle.

i just traded off my ar10(true ar10 made by armalite)it was a perfect battle rifle,for a cheaper rifle compared to lmt,noveske,pof
it was just as tough,just as accurate and fed every bullet i sent though it right on target.
the only bad thing i can think of was the magazines had to come from armalite or knights armament sr25 unless you modified an old m14 magazine and the mags are a little pricey at 5 for $150 from armalite.still better than the fn scar at $70each.
i would buy another armalite ar10 without a doubt.but i think im going to build an noveske 308 for my next 308 rifle.

Cheaper mags can be had:
- PMAG® 20LR, 7.62x51 Magazine – SR25/M110

doubletap007 said:

The Noveske is the same platform as the ArmaLite, both use the modifies M14 magazine. The Noveske has one of the finest barrels in the business, and generally come equipped with high end hand guards and sights.

21" Noveske N6
AR10003.jpg

There are three current magazines used with the .308 platform, FAL, M14 and SR-25, some older rifles used G3 mags. With the new release of the ArmaLite AR-10A that uses SR-25 mags I would say that the SR-25 is now the defacto standard mag for the platform.

Pmags (sr25) run $20 and ArmaLite mags run $28, but are not injection molded plastic. The ArmaLite Gen II mags have a lower price than the metal SR-25 mags($100+), plus the Gen I mags are legal in ban states. There are still several good reasons to go with the modified M14 mag design.

The AR-10 (in the form of the M110 Sniper Rifle) has been adopted by the US Army to replace all M24s and M14s in 7.62x54 NATO. This is to be the 800-meter rifle issued to "designated marksmen" in rifle platoons and squads (as the M14 UBR is currently). The M1024 in 300 Win Mag will replace the M24 in 7.62 NATO for all sniper teams. This will extend the sniper's range envelope from 800 meters effective to over 1000 meters. The Barrett .50s will still be used by SF, Delta, and SEAL snipers on a mission-by-mission basis, as they have always been.

I suppose that you could refer to the AR-10 as a "battle rifle" because it could be used in the same way as other high-powered semi- or selective-fire weapons such as the FAL, M14, G3, Garand, Tokarev, etc.

If you agree with the definition of "battle rifle" being a military-grade weapon firing a high-power cartridge then the M110 fits. It doesn't have to be "selective fire", because (for instance) the British-issued SLR (their version of the FAL) was never full-auto capable, and it was a premier battle rifle. "Assault rifles", however, fire a medium-power cartridge, most often 5.56mm or 7.62x39mm.

Frankly, the AR10 (IMHO) will only be a "battle rifle" in the hands of the Constitutional Militia of the US (you know: the "Unorganized Militia" which must provide its own equipment). No nation will adopt it as such now, because any which can afford it will go with newer designs, and any poor nations will probably buy AKs, G3s or FALs from the surplus arms market.

pmags dont fit in armalite ar10,or they would have been my first choice.

Sorry was replying to that whole thing

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads