JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A) don't buy Troy. They hired the spotter from Ruby Ridge and some other wiers anti gun person.

B) why run flip ups if they are the primary sight? Get some daniel defense fixed sights, or a fixed front and carry handle rear for range adjustment, if you want to stretch out the range of the .308!

Thank You, I looked up both of those. They look good. This is exactly why I ask these questions.

LB

Not to bust your chops, but $200??? Are you kidding me? IMHO, iron sights are a backup for semi close range. You can get others for much less.

Consider running a fixed optic on the top rail and a set of offset flip up.
Its not the cost, its more of a lifestyle. I shoot muzzle loader, throw tomahawk, etc. If I could
(I'm a few years away from retirement) I'd like to live in a remote area & fend for myself as much
as possible. I don't want to :"go to the cloud on my smartie phone, down load a ballistic app then
connect my scope and phone by blue tooth and..." My ballistic computer is between my ears.
Iron sights are just fine for me. In another posting I pointed out that black powder cartridge competitors
hit targets @ 1,000 yards with open sights....

Blessings,
LongBeard

A) don't buy Troy. They hired the spotter from Ruby Ridge and some other wiers anti gun person.

B) why run flip ups if they are the primary sight? Get some daniel defense fixed sights, or a fixed front and carry handle rear for range adjustment, if you want to stretch out the range of the .308!

Thank You, I'm old enough to remember Ruby Ridge; in fact I met Bobby Kennedy 3 days
before he was assassinated. Keep your powder dry.

LB

Ok, something not yet covered here, but YOU need to know about irons on the AR-10! YOU MUST GET the correct elevation adjustment system to match the 7.62X51, and NOT 5.56 ballistics, running your standard A2-HBAR rear sight will have you shooting all over the place vertically with your AR-10!
You need to order the correct rear sight elevation cam wheel for the A2 type sight and also the Service Match Sight aperture to get it shooting correctly!

Not doing this, will have you having to shoot and re marking what ever rear sight you wind up with, which is why most folks end up running an optic!

I would pretty much bet @Velzey could recommend the correct parts needed and might have some other neat-o ideas for sight systems to consider! :s0155:

Ok, something not yet covered here, but YOU need to know about irons on the AR-10! YOU MUST GET the correct elevation adjustment system to match the 7.62X51, and NOT 5.56 ballistics, running your standard A2-HBAR rear sight will have you shooting all over the place vertically with your AR-10!
You need to order the correct rear sight elevation cam wheel for the A2 type sight and also the Service Match Sight aperture to get it shooting correctly!

Not doing this, will have you having to shoot and re marking what ever rear sight you wind up with, which is why most folks end up running an optic!

I would pretty much bet @Velzey could recommend the correct parts needed and might have some other neat-o ideas for sight systems to consider! :s0155:
I'm lucky enough to have a gunsmith local to me. I was going to take the rifle to him with my
research & see what we could work out.

Blessings,
LB

I once went through something like this, so I know what a pain it can be to find a 7.62x51 specific rear sight. I have a FN/FAL that uses an A2- HBAR rear sight built into the lower receiver, and it didn't have the correct elevation cam, it took weeks of digging to find one and then get it installed and shooting correctly! Once it was correct, it out performs the standard rear sight amazingly well, shame the manufacture didn't know or even care that the sight wasn't correct or that they even bothered to try and fix it! :(

Not to bust your chops, but $200??? Are you kidding me? IMHO, iron sights are a backup for semi close range. You can get others for much less.

Consider running a fixed optic on the top rail and a set of offset flip up.

Iron sights are for close range?
Here are open sights & a Rolling block at 1,000 yards.

or this

Yes , open sights are for long range...

Blessings,

LB

Haha :D

well, i never said that you can't shoot long range with iron sights.

1) most will have better, more repeatable results with a scope at those distances

2) $200 for iron sights seems a bit out of touch with their low tech-ness.

YMMV

Thanks for the links. I enjoyed them. :)

I own a Armalite AR-10B (older model with metal mags) It had a mismatch on the height of the small rail on top of the gas block and the rail on the receiver. very common at time my rifle was made. I bought a set of Diamondhead's that was made for that very problem. I liked the way the diamond shape aperture and front guards allowed me a quicker sight alignment while acquiring the target.

As everyone says the sights in your original post will work. So will the Magpul sights already on the Armalite rifle. I do not know how good you shoot, but Polymer sights are not for mounting on a gas block like mine, but on a hand guard they are fine. Whatever rifle you buy, use the sights that came with it, if any, and go from there.

Before you make up your mind on a AR-10 purchase, Mr. @3MTA3 has some very solid wisdom and experience on this and has a very slick AR-10 that really changes the game! Worth consideration! :cool:

I wish I had known this sooner my self, it would have made a difference in a purchase for my Wife!

Before you make up your mind on a AR-10 purchase, Mr. @3MTA3 has some very solid wisdom and experience on this and has a very slick AR-10 that really changes the game! Worth consideration! :cool:

I wish I had known this sooner my self, it would have made a difference in a purchase for my Wife!

I'm far from being an expert, but here are my 2cents.

I'm a fan of the small frame AR-10's. They weigh a tad more than an AR-15, but less than a full size AR-10. Small frame AR-10's are also 85% parts compatible with an AR-15. This includes everything in the lower with the exception of the lower itself.

If I were looking for a DI version I'd choose one of the lighter DPMS GII (G2) models and I believe Remington makes a small frame AR-10 as well.

I went with a piston AR308 made by Adams because my primry AR-15's also use the Adams piston kits and those builds came out nearly identical to AR308 model I bought. I'm a big fan of consistency, especially because ti makes it easier for casual shooters to move fro rifle to rifle.

My AR308 with scope and loaded mag is still lighter than any of the classic battle rifles out of the box.

I did a write up here: AR-10 Platform Primer and Adams 308 Patrol Enhanced Review

As to the sight question, I'd go with the normal height sights unless you have one of the older AR-10's that have a taller receiver. They still lay flat when not in use, but they are also easier to use.

Consider a non-folding front sight as you will never see it in a scope, but is both more robust and cheaper than a folder. I also prefer the HK style sight as I can get a much quicker sight picture with them.
1580853832559.png

Last Edited:
Oh one more thing, I did not know what they meant when Armalite said they had 'double lapped' the rifle. It means they took a tool (like the one shown for a AR-15) as described, lapping makes the 'receiver to barrel surface' square and smooth. They have different grit lapping compounds usually once with course grit and once with fine grit. It can be overdone.

Anyway a lapped barrel and receiver mating, can lead to more consistent accuracy results.

This was just posted 13 hours ago. This is a guy in Hungary hitting a target at 500 yards (450 meters)
with a percussion cap muzzle loader. Iron sights are not only for close range :).

Blessings,
Longbeard

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews