JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DPMS makes a Panther Sportical for about $900. Any cheaper than that you're looking at a CETME. A little bit more you're into PTR91 territory but not an AR10 style.

I'm personally waiting to see how much the new Colt SP901 will be, supposed to come out in October this year. If it's over $2K, I'll get an M1A.

Thank you for your reply. I don't know about these different brands, but I have a couple of AR-15s and I like the way they shoot. I am looking to buy a AR-10
.308. I've been told they don't feed all ammo the same. Any ideas on what to buy and how to set it up?

Thanks for the advice, I am considering a bolt gun in .308 I am wanting to get out past 500 yrds. I am thinking a bolt will be more cost effective and accurate. any ideas?

First AR-10 is a specific rifle made by ArmaLite. There are several different manufacturers of the .308 AR platform but they are not AR-10's. DPMS makes the LR-308 and it's about as cheap as I would recommend buying. Parts do not interchange on these like they do on the AR15. Upper, lowers, barrels, barrel nuts, BCG and bolts are proprietary to each brand.

The .308 AR platform can shoot most ammo but not the heavy weight hunting rounds intended for bolt guns. Up to 175 gr is fine, most well shoot best with 168 or 175 match grade ammo and handle surplus NATO fine. Adjustable gas blocks are more for suppressors than using heavy bullets.

A entry level DPMS is $900+ and a entry level ArmaLite is $1100+. Either one well get you to 500yds and near twice that with the right barrel, optics and ammo.

If you look on Gunbroker you well find a lot of these rifles at reasonable prices, with some careful shopping you can save up to 50%. I put this Noveske upper, ArmaLite NM lower together for a little over $1500. I don't think the upper had ever been fired, the lower looked as new.

AR10noveske03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That lyin' sack of doggy poopoo.
One of the local gun store owners assured me all the different "AR 10" platform guns are fully interchangable.
Glad I looked here.

That lyin' sack of doggy poopoo.
One of the local gun store owners assured me all the different "AR 10" platform guns are fully interchangable.
Glad I looked here.

Read this FAQ at arfcom, it's a ArmaLite FAQ but it does cover the other platforms and shows you the different parts and why they don't interchange.

<broken link removed>

I think any of the platforms can be made reliable and accurate with the right parts.

First AR-10 is a specific rifle made by ArmaLite. There are several different manufacturers of the .308 AR platform but they are not AR-10's. DPMS makes the LR-308 and it's about as cheap as I would recommend buying. Parts do not interchange on these like they do on the AR15. Upper, lowers, barrels, barrel nuts, BCG and bolts are proprietary to each brand.

The .308 AR platform can shoot most ammo but not the heavy weight hunting rounds intended for bolt guns. Up to 175 gr is fine, most well shoot best with 168 or 175 match grade ammo and handle surplus NATO fine. Adjustable gas blocks are more for suppressors than using heavy bullets.

A entry level DPMS is $900+ and a entry level ArmaLite is $1100+. Either one well get you to 500yds and near twice that with the right barrel, optics and ammo.

If you look on Gunbroker you well find a lot of these rifles at reasonable prices, with some careful shopping you can save up to 50%. I put this Noveske upper, ArmaLite NM lower together for a little over $1500. I don't think the upper had ever been fired, the lower looked as new.

That's one good looking rifle MCB!

AR10noveske03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
madcratebuilder posted some excellent info for you to go on.

One more thing to add...

I previously owned a DPMS LR-308. I learned the hard way that the crap magazines DPMS sells would NOT accept milsurp M118LR ammunition (the magazine was too short and the tip would hit the lead edge of the magazine).

This issue *may* have been addressed by the Pmags that are now available for DPMS patterned rifles. I don't know because at the time, the only solution was to buy KAC magazines at over $100 a pop. I sold it and custom built an ArmaLite AR-10 SASS.

You might want to look into that if you intend to shoot that ammo, and if you're considering a DPMS.

MEGA ARMS is offering the MA-TEN that is compatible with DPMS platform goodies.
They are offering it in a true monolithic one-piece upper.
More money, but it's a billet machined receiver!

And yes it accepts the $25.00 P-MAGS.

Thanks for the kind words.

I've read about every magazine complaint for all the platforms you could think of. The early ArmaLites used converted M14 mags, people would buy the conversion kits and install them in cheap import mags and have problems. Genuine Gen I on usgi bodies and Gen II are GTG. Most are having good luck with DPMS and Pmags except for the long bullet users. The old Bushmaster used FAL mags and had issues, RRA seems to be making the FAL mag work from what I have read.

My only complaint with the .308 platform is the weight, I guess I need to eat my Wheaties.

I want to do a 14.5 build as light as possible trying to stay under 8lbs empty

To the OP, I used to own an AR10. It was an A4 carbine w/16"SS bbl. green furniture. the gun shot amazing, but would only digest premium ammo. I didn't know what I was after at the time, but decided I wanted something that would run cheaper bulk or milsurp ammo. I traded that gun away, & eventually picked up a DSA-fal. that rifle suited my needs much better. Just my experiance. good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I am considering a bolt gun in .308 I am wanting to get out past 500 yrds. I am thinking a bolt will be more cost effective and accurate. any ideas?

I just ordered a Savage 10 FCP. I really like the AccuTrigger, and we get some really good results from other Savage rifles we've got. Anxious to see how it groups as I'm looking to start shooting on our 600 yard range at the club. Now to figure out the optics...

Wow another AR-10 thread.... well I just posted a big comment on this AR 10.... is it a battle rifle or not? if anyone cares about my $0.02 <<<<< there it is... lol :)

Congrats on the AR-10s guys... If you do go the AR-10 route go with one that will take Pmags.... DPMS is cheaper and they take Pmags....

Not everyone is sold on using cheap plastic magazines. While I like Pmags in my AR15 rifles I think they have shortcomings with the .308 platform. With the new lower msrp on ArmaLite steel mags it's almost a wash on magazine cost between platforms. Go price some of the steel SR25 mags, or even DPMS steel mags. They cost a lot more than ArmaLite steel mags.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top