JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know that this is not technically "a build" but I got a couple of great deals to put together a complete AR-10 for a very reasonable price.
Complete upper assembly $449.99 + $17 shipping
Complete lower assembly F2F $200 NIB ($239.99 retail)
Magazine $18
Total $684.99

The upper will arrive Monday, I owe you a picture and a range report next week

507388.jpg
482769.jpg

<broken link removed>
  • Machined from Aluminum Forgings 7075-T6
  • Hardcoat Anodizing: MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2
  • Milspec diameter Receiver Extension
  • M4 Stock
  • Staked M4 Lock Nut
  • Standard Heavy Carbine Buffer
  • Caliber: .308
<broken link removed>
  • SKU: 507388
  • Barrel: 416R Stainless Steel
  • Barrel Length: 18"
  • Chamber: 308 Winchester
  • Twist Rate: 1 in 10"
  • .750" Gas block Diameter
  • Mid length Gas system
  • Forged upper receiver
  • T-marks
  • Forward Assist
  • Ejection Port Cover
  • A2-style Flash Hider
  • Magpul MOE Black Midlength Handguard

Last Edited:
PSA is more along the lines of an LR308 but that is the problem with the AR10 realm, there isn't a standard like the mil spec AR15's. I went all PSA just to ensure there weren't any compatibility problems. I think this is a great deal and less than I paid but I also got the Midwest industries free float hand guard upper. The only issue I have had is that there isn't a BAD lever on the market that will work with PSA that I have found. I tried magpul, Troy, and phase 5. None of them worked due the proprietary bolt catch that PSA used.

Awesome, that's the same build route I want to go. It will match my AR nicely.

:)

PSA is more along the lines of an LR308 but that is the problem with the AR10 realm, there isn't a standard like the mil spec AR15's. I went all PSA just to ensure there weren't any compatibility problems. I think this is a great deal and less than I paid but I also got the Midwest industries free float hand guard upper. The only issue I have had is that there isn't a BAD lever on the market that will work with PSA that I have found. I tried magpul, Troy, and phase 5. None of them worked due the proprietary bolt catch that PSA used.
Yeah I looked at it like there wasn't any conformity! But we got spoiled with AR 15s.Besides the AKs what other rifles are exactly alike?
You have to look harder for parts but it's still fun to be able to build a rifle.
You did good

I need some help with this. When I received the upper, there were some brass shavings on the bolt face from the test fire. I thoroughly cleaned the weapon before firing. I only shot 5 rounds and the fifth shot jammed. All the casings looked like they had rim damage so I am thinking that I have a rough chamber. I have read several things on polishing chambers. One technique involved a flapper wheel with 360 grit emery tape. The second involved a 45 caliber mop with polishing compound which seems like it would take forever. Anybody done this and care to offer your $0.02? When I get home I will try to post some helpful pictures.

Mine did that right after I got it going. I tried a few things but what worked was lots a oil and shooting it. After a short break in it was fine.

I agree, keep shooting it. I had a similar issue on an Adams Arms AR15 that didnt run quite right until about 100 rounds were through it. Frustrated the crap out of me since it was essentially a fancy single shot for a short while due to FTE's, but once that period was over it been 100%. I have only few failures on the PA-10 and it too was early on.

I have no experience polishing a chamber but am interested as it cant hurt. I'm also curious about the ring marks on the cases. My buddies 9mm AR had very similar marks and would like to know what they are from.

poor man's polishing concept - you might get a steel case and put a bit of polishing compound or even valve grinding solution - pop out the primer and drill it out - run a screw through the hole into a dowel and manually spin it like trying to start a fire with a fire drill by hand. I suppose you could use a drill to spin it but I'd try by hand first.

Of course you could contact PSA and see what they might do to fix it...

I have no experience polishing a chamber but am interested as it cant hurt. I'm also curious about the ring marks on the cases. My buddies 9mm AR had very similar marks and would like to know what they are from.

I believe that the horizontal marks are from striking the deflector. I'm not sure it that is the right term. I am talking about the little wedge between the forward assist and the ejection door.

I discussed this with penalty box and I am going to try blueprinting it. Take a new shell, sharpie it all over, then feed it by hand and extract normally without firing. This should reveal any burrs, high spots or other problems.

I am thinking about starting with 360 grit and then moving to the mop dipped in automotive polishing compound to make it pretty. I will not be trying to polish out low spots, only high spots identified by blueprinting.

That could be true. In the case of my buddies 9mm AR, it was a slick side and didn't have a shell deflector but still could have been from impacting the ejection port itself.

I haven't seen that mark on any cases ejected from my PA-10 that I recall. I am curious to check my chamber to compare yours. I will post up some pics tonight when I do.

I went for it and it worked so far.
First I tried cleaning the chamber more thoroughly. The I blueprinted a cartridge and while the shell dropped out with only a tap or two, I could see two scores.
I used my flapper with 320 emery tape for about 15 seconds.

ACB6E352-2BF0-47BC-8B8D-6E8E9939B039_zpsnjeh4q92.jpg
F7192B1E-4BB7-4DD0-BFAA-4AE4AC52AD3F_zps5iqoftvc.jpg
It was definitely cutting so I stopped. And shot these five rounds.

B26FF3BF-4930-4914-9D77-CC93906CDAE8_zpswsk1ewn9.jpg

Very little damage and no jam this time. I gave it another 30 seconds with 600 emery paper for a smoother finish.

8A001B0B-7236-412A-8D34-98515E099E69_zps7sihrpjl.jpg

89EAC216-5C05-41D2-BCD6-C6D2757D1779_zpsdlcqwwxj.jpg

Looks like you might have it figured out....

Have read many posts on a 308 forum that PSA does not mix well with other 308 builds......

I am sure they work fine but if building a .308 rifle stick with all PSA stuff or go another rout....

Well isn't as bad as yours was, but sure isn't as polished as yours is now. Glad to hear you got it tuned up. I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to take a pic of a chamber. Keeping the flashlight and phone in just the right place long enough for it to focus is harder than I thought.
image.jpg
I also noticed a the barrel face is marred up. Will have to look into an AR10 vice block and wrench in order to fix that up.

Here is one in all of her glory

image.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top