JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is anyone using the AR-10 platform for hunting around here? I'm about to drop some coin on a CMMG MK3 in. .308 for a hunting rifle as well as just for some shooting fun. Considering the 6.5 Creedmore as well, but price and availability of ammo for that makes the .308 more attractive for me. 46AAE7C0-6B29-4CFA-9532-2E752779293A.png

Looks heavy. I have a hybrid ar10 upper in 260 rem made by Harrison at ARP. I am still dialing it in but it comes in at a tad over 8.5#'s full up. I plan on hunting it this fall. I have built a few ar10's and the all come in over 10#'s full up. Not a problem if you are a blind/stand hunter. I mostly spot and stalk and deplore the excess weight.

Last Edited:
What , how and where you hunt may come into consideration...
For me and how I hunt...the rifle needs to carry easily as well as shoot good.

That said I have only shot several AR10 type rifles and never hunted with one...
So take my first thoughts here with a grain or two of salt....:D
Andy

Yo, that's going to be heavy.
Due to arthritis I cannot stay in a stand, so I'm mostly on the move.
I built an AR10 in 7mm-08 specifically for hunting, and it's so heavy I won't be using it for that.
I have three hunting rifles and two ARs for hunting that all come in at 8lbs or less. Each of the three hunting rifles would work for Elk.

I have a Remington R25 AR10 and let me tell you... it is NOT fun carrying it up a mountainside. Right now I am trying everything I can to lighten it up but it will still be sitting at approx 11lbs scoped. If you are proficient at long range hunting (up to 500yds) and/or are only dropping medium to small game then its a good tool. It's also the preferred choice for predator hunting but if I had the choice to grab a lightweight bolt action vs an AR10 while elk hunting, I am going to grab the old bolt gun 9 out of 10 times.

As for the round, unless you reload or want superb accuracy for matches with the 6.5, the 308 is plenty sufficient for most applications. Plus it is a bit cheaper so you can practice and increase your proficiency with that particular firearm.

P7id10T,
Could you share specifics on the two hunting AR's under 8lbs that would be appropriate for elk? Have been thinking of building up an AR10 in 308, even got the lower, yet concerned with what the total weight might be.

Looks heavy. I have a hybrid ar10 upper in 260 rem made by Harrison at ARP. I am still dialing it in but it comes in at a tad over 8.5#'s full up. I plan on hunting it this fall. I have built a few ar10's and the all come in over 10#'s full up. Not a problem if you are a blind/stand hunter. I mostly spot and stalk and deplore the excess weight.
This one comes in unloaded at 11.5.

P7id10T,
Could you share specifics on the two hunting AR's under 8lbs that would be appropriate for elk? Have been thinking of building up an AR10 in 308, even got the lower, yet concerned with what the total weight might be.
Weight is pretty simple to calculate, if you research and create a build sheet. Modify as necessary to decrease, at a cost that adds up quickly for an AR platform/Hunting rig.
I would never use an AR for hunting, unless this is all there was. No matter the gun, you're still limited in the capacity of rounds on-board.
A bolt gun makes more sense all the way around. For me.

Weight is pretty simple to calculate, if you research and create a build sheet. Modify as necessary to decrease, at a cost that adds up quickly for an AR platform/Hunting rig.
I would never use an AR for hunting, unless this is all there was. No matter the gun, you're still limited in the capacity of rounds on-board.

Agreed ;)

Buy a 30-06 older gun for hunting imo.

Easier to clean.

Lighter and you can harvest any animal with it (maybe not the best for 600 yard+ terrain..).

Generally you can find a good one for $300 - if you fall on it or something catastrophic your not gonna cry like a $2000 build.

Just my thoughts. I think an AR-10 is more suited to a battle rifle or match/range toy.

YMMV

**also, 30-06 hunting Ammo is on every shelf on every gun store even during Ammo shortages or if you wait till the last min to buy some.

I take a different view...I handle, shoot and train all year round with an AR and therefore am intimately familiar with it. Why would I break out a bolt gun for a week during hunting season when I can change out the upper with an appropriate round and rock on?

I picked up a , (never shot), used POF revolution in 308, weighs in at about 7 1/2lbs
Of course I've now hung about 18lbs of nonsense on it....
Point being though,that the goal was to make an AR10 that handles like an AR15, which this does.
VOrhGy.jpg

Weight...is important to consider.
But...
How that weight is balanced , is important too.

My Hawken Rifle weighs in at 10 pounds...I can hunt , carry and shoot well with it , all day.
How it is "balanced " plays a role here...
A well balanced rifle weighing in at 10 pounds , will feel different than a poorly balanced one...
Yet both will weigh the same.
Andy

P7id10T,
The three elk guns are bolt action: 338 WM / 7mm-08 / 6.5 Swede AI
The two ARs are for deer & hogs: 6.5 Grendel & 6.8 SPC
For example, the Grendel with 16" heavy barrel, Leupold glass and loaded 5 round mag is 7lbs 10oz.

It depends on the kind of hunting you plan to do. Ifs its just deer a 6.5 grendal or 6.8spc can get the job done very well with a lot less weight. if you are considering elk then yes the .308 would be a lot better.

The .308 is heavy but you can do a lot to reduce weight if you are not shooting several rds through it at time to heat the barrel up then you can use a lightweight barrel and take a lot of weight off. Use a carbon fiber float tube and find the lightest bolt carrier group and receivers and stock you can find. Rather than using a heavy buffer use a springco extra power spring every little bit helps. This thing can hurt your shoulder carrying for a long time unless you are young and lift weights or use a wide padded sling It's amazing just what a few pounds will do over the course of a day carrying it.

The DPMS G2 addressed the weight and balance issues and solved most of them and feels more like an ar15.

The nice thing about the 6.5 Grendel is you can under normal circumstances get practice ammo for around $6 a box plus shipping so you can really stock up on practice ammo.

Last Edited:
The .458 SOCOM is basically a .45-70 out of an AR-15, .45-70 has anchored plenty elk to say nothing of buffalo and been doing it for over 125 years. The .300 HAM'R with it's near .308 Win ballistics shows promise also within an appropriate range.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top