JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As soon as I get it home I'm taking it apart anyway. I prefer a gun that nobody has had apart and maybe forced things back together a time or two. As long as it isn't one that has had corrosive ammo through it a little gunk maybe becomes just a little negotiating point.

I turned down a dirty gun on consignment at a LGS, because it was a private person/ owner who presented the gun dirty' It wasn't a bad gun or a bad price and maybe I should have bought it ($500 for a 20 year old Para 14-45.) I am leery of used guns I can't inspect.
I would have guessed a 20 yo para to worth around $250.o_O

We used to get dirty guns for consignment all the time. Gave us something to do.
Not that it's good to do and it makes it hard to convince the store it worth what the seller thinks it's worth.

I turned down a dirty gun on consignment at a LGS, because it was a private person/ owner who presented the gun dirty' It wasn't a bad gun or a bad price and maybe I should have bought it ($500 for a 20 year old Para 14-45.) I am leery of used guns I can't inspect.
Do you mean the shop would not allow you to inspect it?
I would have guessed a 20 yo para to worth around $250.o_O

I'm not sure about the $500, would depend on condition but for it to be $250 it would have to be broken. Depending on use a lot of 20 year old guns are excellent.

Problem solved.

677b44d87cd130e8fcde3344726d7fb6.jpg

Do you mean the shop would not allow you to inspect it?

I'm not sure about the $500, would depend on condition but for it to be $250 it would have to be broken. Depending on use a lot of 20 year old guns are excellent.
The earlier paras didn't hold much value used. Maybe they came back in favor?
For me it's just one brand I wouldn't buy
But that's just me.

I've bought a few guns on Gunbroker.com. I either leave a 5 star rating or none at all. It's not worth getting in a feedback feud about. I've bought used guns there. Sometimes they come dirty. If I didn't ask the seller if they were clean I had nothing to complain about. Don't think I ever asked that question before. I have passed on guns when the pictures were not clear. If the seller can't take clear pictures I assume he may be hiding things. A few times I've asked for better or more pictures. Don't recall ever buying one though after the first impression.

Don

Any gun I've sold or traded has been clean.
I prefer to get a clean one in turn , but ... that in itself is not a deal breaker or bad rating getter , so to speak for me.

When I worked at a pawn shop , I went through every gun we had or became ours.
Kept 'em clean and it was a way to learn about a lot of different types of guns and actions.
Andy

I like the car comparisons. I just attribute it to that.

If I buy a car in person, I'm going to check the air filter and the oil to see if they are dirty. If they're dirty, it was poorly maintained and not worth as much. Still worth something, still potentially a great car worth buying, just worth less than the highest possible price.

With an online purchase, you can't do such things and you just gotta take the sellers word. That's what the review system is for, to rate peoples honesty on their word.

So to me, an excellent or good condition firearm will have been decently maintained, just like an excellent to good condition car.

On the flipside to that, if you've recently tried to buy a car for $2000 or less (got my gf a manual to learn on instead of my nice cars) then I think you'll see most people don't maintain their things and feel perfectly fine claiming it as excellent, full well knowing they've not done a darn thing with their car!

I had to learn the hard way.:(
I bought a P12-45 brand new in '91, I believe. I sold it probably 7-8 years ago and always sorta regretted letting it go. If I found one like it for $500, I certainly consider it. It wouldn't matter to me if it was dirty, but I agree I'd want to kick it apart and take a good look.

I like the car comparisons. I just attribute it to that.

If I buy a car in person, I'm going to check the air filter and the oil to see if they are dirty.

So to me, an excellent or good condition firearm will have been decently maintained, just like an excellent to good condition car.

!

With guns getting "dirty" as in from shooting does nothing to the gun. Unless the user has found some old ammo with corrosive primers the crud from shooting does nothing. It's not quite like never changing your oil. Anyone who has been in the Military in the past has fond memories of how the DI made them clean their weapon. :eek: I do clean mine after shooting, eventually. Even after cleaning they would never pass inspection by a DI in his best mood. Now if you're talking sand in the action or such that's different. There are many who rarely at best really clean a gun. Many of them just keep working without much. You of course don't want corrosion, but soot and such? Does nothing. When I shoot I try to get after the .22's soon as they will start to hang up it allowed to get too dirty. With my carry guns it's often nothing more than a cursory wipe down so they can't stain my cloths. I will get to doing a better job later when I feel like it. It does nothing too them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top