JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone, got a quick question. Recently picked up some S&W 3913's on Gunbroker. Very happy with this firearm, but that's another story in itself!

I bought these firearms knowing they were used. They of course had the usual posts about very good condition, etc etc. I received them, and for the most part they were as expected, being a decade old I wasn't all that upset that two of the magazines had compromised magazine springs. What did surprise me though was that the firearms had not even had a basic field strip and wipe down. I field stripped them, and it was obvious no one had been in there for a long time. I popped the grips off (a very easy task) and noticed no one had probably EVER been in there.

So, what's the norm for this? Do you expect a used firearm from an FFL dealer to at least have had a cursory cleaning (field strip + wipe down with a towel) before it arrives, and give them a 4 star if not... or is the norm if it's used, expect it to be dirty?

I'd take a dirty unmolested firearm any day over a clean one that someone mucked up with the wrong tools and lack of gunsmith skills.

I'm not going to give some one 1 star for guns i'm really happy about. I was just thinking of docking them a star because they didn't at least give it a basic cleaning. Some one did bring up a good point though, they'd prefer nobody else monkeyed around with it... which is a sentiment I can relate to having seen the geniuses at some of these pawn shops...

Hey everyone, got a quick question. Recently picked up some S&W 3913's on Gunbroker. Very happy with this firearm, but that's another story in itself!

So, what's the norm for this? Do you expect a used firearm from an FFL dealer to at least have had a cursory cleaning (field strip + wipe down with a towel) before it arrives, and give them a 4 star if not... or is the norm if it's used, expect it to be dirty?

Assuming no rust or such? I would not care. If "I" was selling them I would have cleaned them but would make no difference to me buying them if not. Both of the Kel-Tec rifles I have came dirty from the factory. They said they test fired them at that time and it was easy to see they had. Neither had been cleaned after. Did not bother me any since I take down, clean lube, and inspect any gun new or used before I start firing it.

Was there anything in the ad that they completely went through the gun? Was there anything indicating or hinting that they completely cleaned and checked anything?

As you mentioned, it was a used gun. So long as it wasn't falsely advertised why not give them everything they deserve?

I purchased a "LNIB" "never fired" pistol off GB. Got it and it had been shot and never cleaned afterwards! I notified the seller (the FFL). He claimed he was selling it for a friend. Didn't know the status. Didn't realize. Etc. I asked for a percentage of the price be returned. Was told "No. How do i know you didn't take it out and shoot it and now your trying to blame it on me?"

I gave them a "D" rating for it and explained why. I don't know why I was so generous.

(Sorry for the rant, it still irks me to today.)

Basically, just because a used gun wasn't cleaned before selling/buying, it should be a reason to downgrade a rating. Especially if it is how it was described, and the pictures weren't photoshopped.

Just my $0.02.

There weren't photos of the internals. I guess it comes down to should a "good condition" or "excellent condition" firearm description include it being clean.

I would personally assume that "condition" means physically - dents, scratches, wear marks, etc. Not how clean it is.

Your vehicle might be in excellent condition (no mechanical problems, excellent interior, doesn't leak of burn oil, etc) but is currently dirty because of the weather the past few days. Would you still say your vehicle is in "excellent" (or "good") condition? Or, would you downgrade it because it's dirty?

Ultimately your call.

GL ;)

I would personally assume that "condition" means physically - dents, scratches, wear marks, etc. Not how clean it is.

Your vehicle might be in excellent condition (no mechanical problems, excellent interior, doesn't leak of burn oil, etc) but is currently dirty because of the weather the past few days. Would you still say your vehicle is in "excellent" (or "good") condition? Or, would you downgrade it because it's dirty?

Ultimately your call.

GL ;)

If I was buying a car I'd judge the heck out of it if the owner didn't at least CLEAN it, haha. Who doesn't pop the hood to see if the air filter was at least changed? Reflects maintenance, and thus actual condition!

It wasn't a new gun......

It was used, unless ad said it was super clean, still a used gun.
If it functions and looks good except dirty then their end is upheld.

I really don't get why some guys get so concerned over a dirty gun they buy used - yes, it's nice if it's clean - but really - you're probably going to clean the damn thing anyway even if it was spotless, and relube it - because that's just what we do. You're going to take the thing apart and inspect it - cleaning during the inspection won't take that much extra time/effort. If it wasn't rusty, if it wasn't broken, and you are otherwise satisfied with the price and physical condition of the gun and they were quick to ship it - no reason to dock stars. If they were incommunicative, if they were falsely advertising the mechanical condition of the weapon, if they took forever to ship, etc - sure. Otherwise what's the point beside being passive-aggressive? Rate 'em what you want, or don't rate at all - it's not compulsory. I have purchased a number of used guns from gun shops that were dirty as hell - so long as the gun passes function test - it's a non-issue.

If they were selling the gun as mint, never fired - THEN I would be pissed because they falsely advertised the gun as never fired/mint condition, when it was not. Kind of like buying a 95 Honda Civic with all 000's on the odom, but the oil is black, there's dents in the fenders, and random bodily fluid stains on the back seat.

I can't recall a single private party purchase I have made where the gun had been cleaned since the last time it was fired. It makes me think most of those folks in those "How often to you clean your gun" threads are flat lying.

If I tried to only buy clean guns I would not own most of my best ones.

That's awesome you are happy with it. Why let a little dirt sully the experience?
It's common courtesy to clean a gun before sending it off. That said, no harm, no foul. I have received dirty guns before. No biggie - on the positive flip side, the guy did you a favor in forcing you to get familiar with your firearm more intimately than you might have at first.

Clean is relative too. My clean is spotless compared to my wife's, and yet most people I know think of me as a slob.
If I were to knock a star off, I'd explain why. ("The gun fit and finish was as advertised, but delivered filthy..."). No offense meant, but if I were to read that, I would think the person doing the rating was a tight a$s.
What has chapped my sphincter were claims, "never been used" or "perfect condition" or NIB and it's obviously been thrashed or is even broken. That's why I try to keep all my transactions local and FTF.

Funny how many guns I've cleaned 60 year old cosmoline soaked grime off of and did not think of leaving a bad review :)

But I also was out in the rain with a pressure washer cleaning my car that I was trading in recently. That's after the dealer quoted me the trade in price. I would feel like an bubblegum for selling a dirty gun

First thing I do when I get home with a factory new gun is clean it. Same thing I'd do with a used gun.

If you shoot a gun, it gets dirty. If you guy a used gun, it will be dirty and need cleaning.

I turned down a dirty gun on consignment at a LGS, because it was a private person/ owner who presented the gun dirty' It wasn't a bad gun or a bad price and maybe I should have bought it ($500 for a 20 year old Para 14-45.) I am leery of used guns I can't inspect.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top