JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OregonCHLTraining.com offers concealed handgun license firearm safety training required for your Oregon CHL.

I just paid these guys their $39, passed their test, and submitted the certificate that they generated to Multnomah County for a CHL. I want to buy a S & W Night Guard, if I am successful. Preferably the .357 variety.

I am starting work as a PI, so I do not want to get f*cked-with when doing surveillance, or otherwise hurt. When I was working as a Process Server, I got by without a CHL, but I am upping the ante some now, and it is now important to me. I also do not want to run away, scared, when in the field, and will feel much more confident carrying a loaded gun.

good for you, Walter. It is good that you can "prefer" to retreat, and not leave because you're scared. I hope to provide myself with that latitude. I think the job warrants the CHL, if not the sheer fact that it is my right to carry a loaded gun.

I have missed out on $100's of dollars as a Process Server for no good reason. I hope to change that, in so obtaining the CHL.

I was just like, this guy is rude, hostile, angry, etc. and now I'm going to leave. I hope to stay in the game better in the future. I am supposed to spend like 8 hours camped-out waiting on subjects, and if I feel threatened by dumb things, then I will do a bad job, but if I am confident, then I will probably put in my time.

Face it, if the law tells you that you're not ok to carry a loaded gun until you are licensed to do so, then you feel unsure of yourself some, unless you have the license. I can't afford to be unsure of myself on this job.

And, I never indicated that I was looking for fights.

no, i wasnt suggesting that i was better than anyone. i was just sharing the way
my own brain thinks. if you're on a job, you may not have the flexibility to run
fast enough for the threat to disappear. it may be moving towards you rapidly.

cool. you are definitely further down the line in that respect. the CHL thing is new to me. I'm from California, so the CCW/CHL is like a forbidden fruit.

I am starting work as a PI, so I do not want to get f*cked-with when doing surveillance, or otherwise hurt.
You need to seriously rethink carry if this is your mindset. First get some training. OAF has a good rep on the forum. This should help you get the right mindset and basic skills to carry.

many people have wrong impression of CHL.

it will give you confidence, but it does not make you a warrior or tough guy. ;)

be safe and good luck!

cool. you are definitely further down the line in that respect. the CHL thing is new to me. I'm from California, so the CCW/CHL is like a forbidden fruit.

I applaud your wish to take care of yourself, I only wish everyone else would like to do the same. I only have one suggestion.....please, Please go to Oregon Firearms Academy and get some training. I grew up here and around guns my whole life, but the training has made all the difference. You can read all you want about how to do stuff, but actually doing it with those that have "been there, done that" is worth 10x what you pay for their classes. Escpecially when you are choosing professions that put yourself at risk. It's some of the cheapest insurance you can purchase.

Just remember you are not LEO. When you initiate contact self defense laws can get murky. Dont be overzealous or overconfident just because you are armed.

In your profession you should always try to retreat. Shooting somebody in their porch because you felt threatened will not go down well in court. Remember they have the right to self defense too and they can claim you were intimidating them because they saw you had a piece that accidentally showed or printed

Just use good judgement thats all. Not saying dont carry, just dont be cocky either. I would still pass up a job than put myself in a situation where i likely will get shot or have to shoot. The ensuing legal cost is not worth a few hundred bucks... Also make sure you have good insurance for when they sue you...

I guess I have a different take on" confidence". The only confidence my CHL gives me is knowing that I am legal in carrying concealed. As far as actually doing so, I have more responsibility than confidence.
Just my thought process!
Wifey

I have missed out on $100's of dollars as a Process Server for no good reason. I hope to change that, in so obtaining the CHL..

there was a good reason... it was dangerous and likely not worth it... having a gun does not make it less dangerous... just more likely to end in trouble, the expensive kind...

I was just like, this guy is rude, hostile, angry, etc. and now I'm going to leave. I hope to stay in the game better in the future. I am supposed to spend like 8 hours camped-out waiting on subjects, and if I feel threatened by dumb things, then I will do a bad job, but if I am confident, then I will probably put in my time.

this is a very dangerous attitude... you are an instigator by your profession. you will get fried in court... how many process servers have you heard shoot somebody and get away with it...

now if they shoot you first, you just gave them a self defense justification... you were the armed threat invading their private space.

Face it, if the law tells you that you're not ok to carry a loaded gun until you are licensed to do so, then you feel unsure of yourself some, unless you have the license. I can't afford to be unsure of myself on this job.

And, I never indicated that I was looking for fights.

glad to know you are not looking for fights on purpose, but you are going into harms way which is passively asking for a fight...
when you mean less unsure, you are basically saying you can be aggressive knowing you can rely on shooting somebody when it gets ugly...

very bad strategy.... at least LEO's get paid administrative leave if this occurs... you will get unpaid, jail time most of the time.

also if you work for anybody other than yourself, make sure the company knows you are carrying so they can get an insurance rider for the lawsuit that follows...

There are going to be 100 people disagree with this, for every one that agrees... but my 2 bits...BTW: I've carried since 1970 and have never taken my carry from it's holster in anger or self defense.

I Open Carry unless the weather dictates otherwise. Cops Open Carry for their job. Both LE and I OC for the purpose of informing those that would do us harm that we can defend ourselves, and it works. OC is not an aggressive "display" of a weapon according to the law. That takes a specific threat that is being addressed. This does not mean that my carry has never defused a specific threat, just that it has never needed to come out of the holster to defuse that threat.

In Portland you need that CHL to OC a loaded weapon and also to keep the local LEO's from going ballistic, but loaded OC is 100% legal under ORS 166 no matter what the city of Portland (or any other local government entity) thinks, if you have a CHL.

Now, to the second part of this missive: KNOW THE LAW. Study ORS 166 and know it backward and forward....then follow it. If you OC or CC, you still have to know the law, and I do not mean a cursory knowledge...I mean in depth. You do NOT want to voluntarily go into a situation with the attitude, "if this turns ugly I can defend myself..."...that is not the purpose of the carry. If you personally generate an ugly situation, you cannot claim self defense,,,OK?

There are two classes of people that carry:...

one says...I do not want any trouble, I will OC to put those that would do me harm on notice that I can defend myself...an informed person can make an informed decision. The major reason to OC is to deter an encounter that might end up in needing that carry. It can defuse a bad situation before it ever gets started,

The second type of person that carries says, I am going to CC so I have the tactical advantage of surprise if I encounter a situation where I may need my carry. CC will not deter any action by an adversary, because the adversary has no reason to know you are armed. Again, if you initiate the contact, self defense can be a tenuous claim.

Oh: one other thing. doesn't a PI need a Portland PI license too????

Duldej:

You need to do a bit more research. Private Investigators, Bail Bondsmen, and Armed Security Guards need more than a CHL to carry on the job. CHL is a first step, but there's actually an 8 hour initial and 4 hour annual refresher which requires live fire of your specific duty weapon in order to carry on the job.

It sounds to me like your head is in the right place but you need to learn to articulate very clearly the narrow and specific rules about use of deadly force. A mis-statement could land you in jail for a very long time.

I'm glad I brought it up. You are a hospitable bunch. I am all for training. Somebody mentioned Oregon Firearms Academy. I plan to look into that school, or any others that are reputable and good.

I'm still new at this, so my conceptions of how to go about concealed carry are not set in stone. I am a good student, though.

At a certain level, however, I am merely asserting my rights. I think that most would agree that the CHL is a testament to those rights.

I am somewhat surprised that nobody seems willing to acknowledge that if you are putting yourself in the line of danger, and sometimes even going grocery shopping is putting yourself in the line of danger, that it is an unnerving feeling to think that others are carrying and you are not because it is illegal; and before anybody jumps to conclusions, by "illegal," I mean simply "without a CHL permit."

If something bad happens, and one is unarmed and therefore unable to protect oneself, then that person has got twice the amount of problems. First, s/he has got problems because s/he is not legal to carry, and second, s/he has got problems because there really is a threat. It is so much easier to take care of the permit ahead of time, and thereafter to adjust one's attitude.

Some of you rightfully boast 20-30 years concealed carrying without resorting to using a firearm. That is good practice.

Comparing it to driving, there are no good drivers that do not have practice driving.

I had a license since the early '80's have ony had to show I was armed once, in '04 in Wyoming when I stopped at a truck stop in my motorhome. My father had a license many years earlier but he was a tax collector for WA state and the loggers didn't really like him showing up at their house!

Oregon PI.

Good advice on knowing the law (ORS 166 and others that apply).

State of Oregon: Department of Public Safety Standards and Training will get you started in the information you need for PI work, Click. Private Security/PI/Alarm Monitor tab

PI needs a CHL if they carry a handgun(s) or HR 218

The BASIC 3-4 hour Oregon CHL Handgun Safety course is the lowest ammount of training required to get a CHL in Oregon.

Many instructors offer this course (and more) YYMV.

Respectfully,

ORSECTRAIN
"Be Safe Out There!"

I just had my appointment. Wow, that was a breeze. There is something to be said for "shall issue," counties/states.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top