JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just a heads up for anyone thinking about doing Apleseed, as of 3:00am on 8/27/19, there are only three more spots available on the line for that weekend!

I'll be shooting rather than instructing that weekend, so I'm looking forward to seeing some new shooters and some old friends!

Here's the info and sign up page for the Dundee shoot:

Last Edited:
IMG_20190829_123534844.jpg
Got in some good Appleseed practice today at the range! Glad to see I can still shoot Rifleman score!

IMG_20190829_124706593.jpg
Finished off today's session with a Red coat target, and managed to clear it!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple weeks!

Last Edited:
Started doing my stretching this week. Practicing getting into positions and doing mag changes too.

Now I just have to clean the rifles completely and make a couple more mods to the new. 22 and I'll be all set!

So who else is going to join me this weekend in Dundee?

@Ironbar that's kinda what keeps me from doing an Appleseed event. I am extremely familiar with it and have done some AQT practice shoots with an instructor.

BUT....having to do stretches and such days before the event to keep from getting sore or taking Advil/Aleve (recommenced by an instructor) to counter act the pain many experience during the position shooting seems silly and impractical to me. Why does shooting have to be painful, and when are most people going to continue to shoot that way in those positions after the event? I'm not trying to be negative, but it seems to me "practical" "real" shooting positions seem to be more useful for most people that target shoot or hunt. Am I wrong?

I'm legitimately looking for your feedback here, as you mentioned doing stretches this week.

For me it's not so much the positions that are uncomfortable as it is the duration. Most of the positions are your standard prone and sitting/kneeling, but my last Appleseed ran from 8-5, that's a lot of hours of shooting prone and moving around. It also focuses a lot on position changes at speed, going from standing to a prone position and breaking shots on a timer. That ends up wearing on your knees and elbows. I think you are right though the focus isnt on target shooting or hunting necessarily, but more general rifle marksmanship and "militia" type rifle skills, if that makes sense.

For me it's not so much the positions that are uncomfortable as it is the duration. Most of the positions are your standard prone and sitting/kneeling, but my last Appleseed ran from 8-5, that's a lot of hours of shooting prone and moving around. It also focuses a lot on position changes at speed, going from standing to a prone position and breaking shots on a timer. That ends up wearing on your knees and elbows. I think you are right though the focus isnt on target shooting or hunting necessarily, but more general rifle marksmanship and "militia" type rifle skills, if that makes sense.

Makes sense. The prone position requires my elbow to be tucked in so much that it actually causes pain and makes me not want to do it. When I was practicing with the instructor I was told many times to tuck my elbow. It doesn't "tuck" that far without me feeling like a contortionist. I didn't enjoy it.

IMHO.....
Knowing/learning various positions helps to make one a better rifleman. And maybe that someone, may graduate into Hi-Power Rifle, Service Rifle, etc..... types of competitive shooting.

Remember it's Appleseed. So, it's about.....
"teaching every American our shared heritage and history as well as traditional rifle marksmanship skills".

Hint: you also shoot the various positions, to qualify, in the US Military.

Aloha, Mark

IMHO.....
Knowing/learning various positions helps to make one a better rifleman. And maybe that someone, may graduate into Hi-Power Rifle, Service Rifle, etc..... types of competitive shooting.

Remember it's Appleseed. So, it's about.....
"teaching every American our shared heritage and history as well as traditional rifle marksmanship skills".

Hint: you also shoot the various positions, to qualify, in the US Military.

Aloha, Mark

Yes, I'm aware.

@Ironbar that's kinda what keeps me from doing an Appleseed event. I am extremely familiar with it and have done some AQT practice shoots with an instructor.

BUT....having to do stretches and such days before the event to keep from getting sore or taking Advil/Aleve (recommenced by an instructor) to counter act the pain many experience during the position shooting seems silly and impractical to me. Why does shooting have to be painful, and when are most people going to continue to shoot that way in those positions after the event? I'm not trying to be negative, but it seems to me "practical" "real" shooting positions seem to be more useful for most people that target shoot or hunt. Am I wrong?

I'm legitimately looking for your feedback here, as you mentioned doing stretches this week.

I think Grapo sums it up perfectly. It's not the positions themselves, it's the duration! At Appleseed you're using a lot of muscles in ways you don't normally use them. Even the fittest among us will find Appleseed taxing to a degree. Hence, I like to stretch and practice getting into positions before the shoot. I've done Appleseed so many times as a shooter and instructor that I've lost count. I still get sore every time. There's no avoiding it.

As for shooting this way after the event is over- you bet I do! I still practice what I've learned all the time, and I love to land rounds on target offhand! Makes me feel great to know I can consistently hit a target without putting my rifle on a bench rest.

I'll see ya there again. Bringing my daughter for her first event. Pretty excited about it. I built her a custom cheek riser and cut down an old wood 10/22 stock to fit her. Should be lots of fun.

20190913_070732.jpg

The pain and soreness is nothing compared to the instruction and history. JMHO. And do I do a bunch of prone shooting now? Heck no. But I use a lot of what I learned on every shot I take now. Dont drag wood, leave the trigger back, riflemens cadence, NPOA...

YMMV

Last Edited:
I'll see ya there again. Bringing my daughter for her first event. Pretty excited about it. I built her a custom cheek riser and cut down an old wood 10/22 stock to fit her. Should be lots of fun.

View attachment 616781

The pain and soreness is nothing compared to the instruction and history. JMHO. And do I do a bunch of prone shooting now? Heck no. But I use a lot of what I learned on every shot I take now. Dont drag wood, leave the trigger back, riflemens cadence, NPOA...

YMMV
Awesome!! See you tomorrow. I'll be The 6'5" guy on the right side of the line!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top