JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The family is looking forward to the Appleseed shoot in Moxie, WA next week. I decided to upgrade sights on all the rifles and ran into a snag. It seems that local retailers stock all kinds of scopes but no quality iron sights for the Ruger 10/22. sigh It looks like the girls are getting scopes for their 10/22s.

As for me, the rimfire rifle I shoot the best with is my Winchester 9422 and I refuse to put a scope on mine. Research led me to these hand made Skinner Sights.

I've ordered their Barrel Mount model and 2 sizes of apertures. This will give me a peep sight plus a longer sight radius. In addition to it looking like a solid product, I like buying from the guy who actually makes these :)

Photo from his website...
mi1_849.jpg

I don't know how much shooting experience or how old your girls are but my 11yo with 0 experience started out with iron sight. She couldn't find the cardboard let alone the target. After a while she got on the paper but still wasn't making any groupings to speak of.

On day two we set her up with sandbags and by 10a gave her a scope. She had a lot more fun with that setup.

Bottom line I wouldn't feel too bad about scopes on the 10/22's.

If you do want the 10/22's iron sight <broken link removed> is what they suggest. They are nice.

Have fun at appleseed. We are set to go again on the 11th and 12th.

My girls, age 15 and 49, are pretty good shots already. I've seen each of them break a chicken egg at 50 yards shooting off-hand with iron sights. I don't think either of them would miss a grapefruit at that distance.

Scopes are my problem. I just don't like them and never have but the girls will probably love them. LOL

They do not know that I'm reworking their gunstocks this week. I took the basic 10/22 wooden stock with the collar on the end, eliminated the collar, tapered the forearm, point and fluted the comb, thinned the comb, and have started carving them. The first is for my girlfriend. She used a .22 rifle for self defense when she lived in Texas, and didn't realize that the cops had to eventually give it back, so she lost it. :( I know that it had a squirrel on it so have started this stock for her. I'm new to bas-relief carving so this isn't quite up to my standards yet. Maybe the next one will be.

Squirrelgunstock-1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top