JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I checked the Appleseed website trying to find the next Appleseed event in OR, but site said none were scheduled for 2011 (couldn't make Estacada this weekend).
<broken link removed>

Does anyone know if there are any Appleseed events planned in Oregon for 2011 that just haven't hit the Appleseed calendar yet?

Thanks.

We are working out the schedules now...Some good folks came out today in Yakima and at Douglas Ridge...We received some good leads for ranges across the region and are contacting them..

If you know of a good range and want to help bring Appleseed to a range near you, just lemme know..

W44

Thanks Wheeler. Good to hear the wheels are turning.
I've heard good things about Appleseed and look forward to getting involved.
Thank you!

I wish there was one scheduled on the coast. Couldn't make last week's in NORCAL due to work conflict. I talked to the organizer who said last time he tried to put on an event in Eureka, CA that it was canceled due to low turnout.

Still nothing on the calendar for Oregon.
Based on the website, Castle Rock, WA, is the closest scheduled event for Portland.
Would love to attend something in the greater PDX area.
Any news for something closer would be great.

I went and shot as a guest in Roseburg at their Rod and Gun Club. I was really impressed with their facilities and was thinking the whole time: "I wonder who I could talk to about getting an Appleseed event scheduled."

I'm just a guy off the street, so wouldn't even know where to begin trying to initiate dialogue between the two parties. At first you would think an event would be great for a gun club to host: Publicity, community service, getting novices to see the advantages of shooting at a range versus a muddy clearcut, etc. Then again there are probably dozens of other aspects that I am wholly ignorant of.

Wheeler44 is moving even further North so I am going to try and help out with Appleseed info here on NWF. I am only an Instructor in Training so I can not make any promises about getting shoots setup at any range but I can pass along information about shoots to you and if you have any information to pass along to some of the shoot bosses I will see to that.

Blue Devil, if you have contact information for the Roseburg club I would be very happy to pass that along to RL, one the the Oregon shoot bosses to check into.

In the mean time there are a number of shoots scheduled for Castle Rock and we should have some for Stevenson on the schedule shortly.

If any of you have contact information for a range that would be interested in hosting an Appleseed event PM me the info and I will make sure to forward it to the appropriate State Coordinator.

Thanks for at least looking!
Here you go:

Roseburg Rod and Gun Club
28 Del Rio Road
Roseburg, OR 97471-9538
(541) 673-5616

Alternatively ( I have never been, but they have a nice website):
Physical Address
Siuslaw Gun Club
87227 Munsel Lake Road
Florence, OR 97439
(541) 902-7708

Here's a dumb question: The information on what to bring doesn't specify if rifles should have iron sights or scopes. I assume this is iron sight training, but I would hate to show up unprepared. Also, it sounds like a 10/22 or similar is a good choice for the .22; what about the centerfire? Hunting rifle or AR? I'm hoping to attend one of the Springfield events (unless they get Estacada added; website says "coming soon").

I talked to the organizer, Yan, for this event with the same questions. He said that the 10/22 scoped or not is fine and as far as center fire rifle "anything" was fine. I am going to be shooting 7.62 NATO on the second day, it is going to be an expensive day for ammo! Just another excuse to buy more! Yan was really cool and took time to answer my questions, hope the entire weekend goes as smoothly.

Most of the shooting is done at 25y so any .22 is perfect and cheap to shoot but you can shoot whatever you want (unless the specific range has limitations).

Most of the drills are 10 round and frequently split between two groups (2 shots, reload, 8 shots) so a magazine fed semi auto rifle with at least 2 mags is ideal. I've seen people use tube fed and single shot. The goal is to make you proficient with what you have; not to force you into buying a whole new setup.

The training is also geared to using a sling to build your support base so to get the most out of the training you need afront sling stud and a cotton M1 style sling. Leather and neoprean don't work very well.

The first time I shot 10/22 iron sight day one, AR15 iron sight day 2. Second time through I shot a scoped 10/22 both days.

Have fun. It's good stuff. Bring the kids. There were shooters as young as 8 on the line all 4 days I went.

If your going (or interested in going) you need to read 2011 Springfield, OR Appleseed Information

Saturday is listed as 25 meter RIMFIRE only and with the wording written the way it is I would expect that center fire rifles are going to be OK only for the longer 200 yard shoots to be held on Sunday afternoon. This sounds like range limitations.

As far as sights go, bring whatever you have. The idea is to be able to skillfully use any rifle but some (like me) do not have the eyesight anymore to be able to shoot that well with iron sights so they will teach you to use what you have. If you do bring a scoped rifle it's best if you have it sighted in before bring it.

Some further reading on preparation and what to bring with you
What Rifle to Bring to your Appleseed Event
What to bring to your Appleseed Event

I went this weekend to this Appleseed event. I have to say the training was very good, with an emphasis on the basic concepts of rifle marksmanship. For anyone who thinks they can shoot, give it a chance, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much better you shoot at the end. If you are not happy with the training then you are out a few bucks and some free time. There is a bit of history teaching to the weekend, but it is pertinent to why the founder of Appleseed thinks marksmanship was and still is important. In short, I highly recommend the Appleseed project and hope that people give it a chance.
I hope to go back in September to earn my patch.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top