JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have thought, as how I dont have any kids, about leaving some .22 rifles to Appleseed when I die. But I am thinking they would not accept them, or they would and then sell them? Some of these are rare, and nice. I would want to see them used by kids who have parents that can not afford them. But kept as property of Appleseed. Any thoughts on this?

Appleseed is a great organization and it's a good thought on your end. It's good to leave a legacy. That being said, there are no guarantees that Appleseed will be around for a long time. I've been slowly giving mine away to youngsters as I come across them and see the need. This way I can take my time and select who will get them.

I could do that, I just thought it would be cool to see the guns get used by kids. To see a kid on the 22 range with a Marlin 39, Winchester 69A and the like, would be neet. However I guess I would be dead. To bad there is no such thing as a gun library where you could go check out a gun for a range day and return it. The librarians would be armorers! They clean repair and restock to the shelf till the next kid came along.

I could do that, I just thought it would be cool to see the guns get used by kids. To see a kid on the 22 range with a Marlin 39, Winchester 69A and the like, would be neet. However I guess I would be dead. To bad there is no such thing as a gun library where you could go check out a gun for a range day and return it. The librarians would be armorers! They clean repair and restock to the shelf till the next kid came along.

Playing the "devil's advocate"...... Do you think that any youngster would appreciate a Marlin 39, Winchester 69A, et al? My guess "Oooooo this is old. Does it still shoot? WOW! It does. Can I try the _______ one now?"

That being said, it may be something totally different with the youngsters parents. THEY might appreciate it and want to try and buy themselves.

You have a big heart and good intentions. I wish you the best in your dilemma.

Playing the "devil's advocate"...... Do you think that any youngster would appreciate a Marlin 39, Winchester 69A, et al? My guess "Oooooo this is old. Does it still shoot? WOW! It does. Can I try the _______ one now?"

AMT, I've seen this when I take young folks out, but then occasionally I have a youngster who just admires a certain firearm and seems to appreciate the quality and vintage. It's clear to see that they are able to admire and appreciate it as I am. This is a good donor candidate in my eyes.

Yes, in your case as you have stated. But in OP's case, maybe not so good to just cart-blanche donate to Appleseed. As with what you do, go there and participate and bring a few. See if there are any "candidates" for a donation.

BTW, good heart and good intentions with you too! (lookin for a "thumbs-up" icon but cannot find one)

I am the Oregon State Coordinator for Project Appleseed. I appreciate that you are thinking about AS and would like to donate your firearms so the program has loaners rifle available for youth shooters.

However, due to the liability associated with the ownership of firearms, AS has decided that it will not take legal possession of any firearms. As Project Appleseed is a non-profit corporation, the organization could not afford a potential liability claim if there was an accident with any equipment that it owned.

It is great that you are thinking of the program and want to continue your legacy to the next generation of shooters.

I concur with Rick Benjamin. Donate your rifles to a well established club with a juniors program and who donates facility time to other junior type events such as Boyscouts, Young Marines and church groups.

The club in Clark County where I am a member does all of these.

I sure as hell would. I have been trying to get my hands on a m39 since I was 14. At 23 now my lowly college budget still does not allow me to get one. One of these days

Pshh, half the kids I take out tell me that the lever action .22 was their favorite;).

I would go with selling them and donate the proceeds.

Who knows, in 20-30 years they may just be wall hangers with no ammo to feed them lol.

That being said, it may be something totally different with the youngsters parents. THEY might appreciate it and want to try and buy themselves.

You have a big heart and good intentions. I wish you the best in your dilemma.

That was my thought exactly

I can see little Billy out on the range ...
"Why does Tommy get the cool plastic gun? Mine is old and dumb and looks like it was made out of a tree!" :(:(:(

I think this is a wonderful idea. i wish i afford to by even a single shot 22 to teach my kids about shooting. I am going to wait till there ten to send them through hunters ed. I may just borrow one from a friend to take them plinking

I am looking constantly for opportunities to teach marksmanship to young shooters, I got my start in the Junior High Rifle Club sponsored by the American History teacher, who happened to be the High School Rifle Team coach.

I have been asked about what to do about my rifles when I am gone, and I am thinking of having them sold on consignment by an excellent gun store in town, hadn't thought about the money going to the Appleseed project, although I have my Amazon.com Smile purchases all going in that direction, and Amazon.com really likes me.

Working in the RWVA and being an instructor and shoot boss for Appleseed events I like the idea of giving my rifle to a deserving young man or woman that would continue the heritage. The latest initiative would be slowing it a bit, but that is a fine idea and a living gift while I can see immediate results - that would make me happy.

I saw that American History teacher again after my Vietnam tour to show him a Stevens 414 Armory model target rifle and he grabbed a jar of 22LR for me to shoot with it. Good memories.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top