Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Appendix Carry

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by 2A2Dend, Mar 18, 2016.

1. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

I'm 5'-11", 160lbs. Looking for a comfortable AIWB. No fat roll (sorry all ) to flop over. Looking for a holster configuration that pulls the grip in to the belly for less print. Pistol is a G19. I've considered modifying (adding a pad) to push the bottom of the holster out.

Currently looking at the INCOG. What else is suitable?

TEDD2K likes this.
  2. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

3. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

I'm a fan of having an appendix carry rig that has its clip on the slide and not on the right side under the trigger. I personally own a Concealment Solutions ASP 2.1. I like the holster, but I don't carry AIWB very often.

4. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

Urban carry makes an interesting option http://urbancarryholsters.com/ Can even be carried with a tuck in shirt. Only down side, it's a 2-handed deployment (and someone who knows might recognize them).

Another option are trigger guard (only) holsters with a lanyard that automatically pulls the holster from the trigger guard as you pull the gun. Example http://aegisarmory.us/shop/kydexholsters/the-guardian-kydex-trigger-guard/

I am not 100% comfy with appendix carry - just the idea of muzzling my privates or femoral artery makes me slightly uneasy. Maybe less of a concern with a revolver with 12 lbs 2 mile trigger travel. But with a striker, not so sure ;-)

5. R3dundantC

R3dundantC Roseburgish Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've carried a FNS-9 in an INCOG for about 2 years. The only downside is that it doesn't protect the ambi mag release and on a couple of occasions I found that my mag was released so I am sure to give my mag a periodic tug. Carrying a Glock, that shouldn't be too big of a concern for you as I think that is less apt to happen.

2A2Dend likes this.
  6. 2A2Dend

The Bravo Concealment Acer DG2 looks to fit the need. No longer available? They seem to have went over well. I wonder who bought the design?

I like the looks of the ASP 2.1. Bookmarked for further viewing.

Nope, neither of them are to my liking.

I'm looking for something similar in design to the RH, INCOG. Preferably with a clip/dual clip, and option to add a mag holder. The INCOG is a nice design, however, the potential of catching the spare mag with the front sight, and dislodging, is a deal breaker. I might resort to adding a mag carrier, or DBL carrier w/clip above the left pelvic bone.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions everyone

7. Reno911

They still make an AIWB similar without the suede. I have one. It is exactly the same. Just the feel isn't there.

The link for Jason Allen I sent you. He made me basically a DG2 for me since I couldn't get another from Bravo. Trust me I begged Bravo over the phone too. Just as good. So hit him up. His holsters are extremely comparable to the bravo holsters. I'm likely going to send him a request for a few more soon.

I'm 5'11" #150. 32/30. I wear the DG2 or Allen right above my 1 o'clock. I also wear it at my 4 o'clock. Both positions are comfortable as hell. I usually carry a 19 or a 43.

2A2Dend likes this.
  8. CHLChris

These are two very different pistols, right? I mean the 43 is like the 26 but a hair thinner and the 19 actually has some barrel to it. Do these two pistols feel different at 1-o'clock? On the hip they're probably very similar-feeling I bet. But AIWB I am thinking they'd be very different.

I've even read that some people prefer the G17 length for AIWB, but I just don't get it. Tying my shoes or crouching down are quite uncomfortable for me when carrying a G26 AIWB. But then I have a slight tactical shelf going on around my gut. (5'10" 200)

9. Reno911

Huge difference between the two. The 43 is much more comfortable in both positions. Especially appendix as there is less muzzle sticking into my leg. I have sort of given up on the 19 for carry. Just depends really on whether or not I feel like carrying it or not. At the 4-5 o'clock the 19 is not bad so I can bear it. But anything more than 8 hours and the 43 wins. I truly have been carrying the 19 in an outside the waist rig more than inside. Especially if we were going out and I could wear a coat or sweatshirt. I try not to switch my carry routine up too much, mostly two guns and three holsters.

Medic! likes this.
  10. 2A2Dend

More comment to the two above posts later. For now, just a quick comment concerning the G19 vs the G43.
    I would like to see Glock release a single stack type. Say a G43 slide width, with double stack grip of the G19.
    The best of both slender and stacked :cool:

11. CHLChris

Yeah, and the 2011 is sweeping the nation. What difference does a slimmer slide make when the frame is full-width? At first I thought you were on the track of a 19-length/height single-stack. I was right with you until you started down the path of the super-popular G30S (36 slide on a 30 frame...actually not very popular, BTW). To each their own, of course. I'm not disagreeing with your idea, per se, just that it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

12. 2A2Dend

No, everything the same size as the 43, with just the grip, the size of double stack.
    It was something come to mind given the two different frames, vs caliber.

13. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

It can make all the difference. With the poly frame guns, the slide is where a majority of the weight of the gun is, besides a loaded mag. Any weight you can remove from that just makes it that much more comfortable. I carry the the 30S and every little bit off the slide is noticed after a couple hours out and about.

14. 2A2Dend

I'm derailing my own thread.
    This is an ugly example of my thoughts. G26/43 on left, the same frame on right, double stack, G19 grip.

Glock_26_what_if.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  15. CHLChris

You mean a G26 grip. The G26 is the exact same height as the 43, just double stack. Well, that would follow the model of the G30S for the 9mm round, I just don't see Glock doing that.

Good, quick photoshop work, BTW!

16. Reno911

I'd probably still be rocking a 26 if I'd been more patient and tried it with a +2 finger extension.

I carry a spair mag if I carry the 19 or the 43. I carry a full 17 rounder when carrying the 19 though. Something I wish I would have thought before offloading the 26 when I did.

You live and learn.

17. 2A2Dend

One can wish anyway, huh. :D
    I'm happy with my 19.
    ..........I look at all the different model/calibers, and get to thinking, what if. The next thing I know, the STD flares up again. HA!!

Lets see..the subject was appendix carry, wasn't it? :oops:

18. Papa

Papa Oregon New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I'm about your same size and I carry appendix. I've been using the Phlster access holster one for my shield and one for my g23/27. I've had troubles with the grip printing at times, but I've solved the problem and am very happy with my modification.
    This is the video that got me thinking...

So I rumaged through my junk/parts bin and came up with this very simple fix.

It's a door stop the hinge pin type. I just bent it in my vice a hack sawed off the spare bits.

Now my grip is tucked in tight and I don't even know it's there.

19. 2A2Dend

Haha, I'll pass on that! :rolleyes:

20. corsar66

corsar66 Clackamas Member