JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was doing RO duty tonight at my local range. We had five people join tonight, which is unheard of. I wonder if ranges are going to start seeing a large increase in business too.

Kate Brown started running her yap about gun control last week - and the supermajority pant wetters have banning on the brain. Pretty sure that semi automatic magazine fed firearms will be non-sellable in Oregon by say, May 15th - sooner if they "emergency clause" it through. You can still own them - if you register them. You just won't be selling or transferring them in the state though. 10,20, heck 60 day waiting periods could be on the horizon. One gun a month. Restrictions to places you can carry with a CHL. Maybe an open carry ban statewide. No Fly No Buy bill. Ending the "gun show loophole" by banning gun shows. Lead bullet ban for all hunting. At least they haven't talked about a NJ style ban on hollowpoint "cop killer" ammunition... probably will ban body armor, "assault clothes" (aka BDU's, load bearing gear, and any clothing with a gun pictured on it...)

Gin-swilly Burrrrdick and Phloyd Prozacneeds are creaming their jeans and Kate can't wait to sign it. I can see a local run on guns. I don't see much happening on a national issue. Congress may find their collective balls if Big Oh takes executive actions to further restrict gun rights and maybe, hopefully, they'd impeach the SOB. But I don't see his nonsense doing much right now to spur a nation wide run on guns. Other than the sleepy minded waking up to the realization that the world is a scary, dangerous place and the police cannot and will not be there to protect you when things break bad. My bosses wife is a hard core Bernie supporting liberal - she has been talking about getting a gun and learning to use it. (He has guns, that I guess she doesn't use or has never shown interest in learning to use). Oddly enough the Walking Dead got her thinking along those lines, and that made her think about real societal break down, and now the terrorism. So there may be hope. MAYBE.

Kate Brown started running her yap about gun control last week - and the supermajority pant wetters have banning on the brain. Pretty sure that semi automatic magazine fed firearms will be non-sellable in Oregon by say, May 15th - sooner if they "emergency clause" it through. You can still own them - if you register them. You just won't be selling or transferring them in the state though. 10,20, heck 60 day waiting periods could be on the horizon. One gun a month. Restrictions to places you can carry with a CHL. Maybe an open carry ban statewide. No Fly No Buy bill. Ending the "gun show loophole" by banning gun shows. Lead bullet ban for all hunting. At least they haven't talked about a NJ style ban on hollowpoint "cop killer" ammunition... probably will ban body armor, "assault clothes" (aka BDU's, load bearing gear, and any clothing with a gun pictured on it...)

Gin-swilly Burrrrdick and Phloyd Prozacneeds are creaming their jeans and Kate can't wait to sign it. I can see a local run on guns. I don't see much happening on a national issue. Congress may find their collective balls if Big Oh takes executive actions to further restrict gun rights and maybe, hopefully, they'd impeach the SOB. But I don't see his nonsense doing much right now to spur a nation wide run on guns. Other than the sleepy minded waking up to the realization that the world is a scary, dangerous place and the police cannot and will not be there to protect you when things break bad. My bosses wife is a hard core Bernie supporting liberal - she has been talking about getting a gun and learning to use it. (He has guns, that I guess she doesn't use or has never shown interest in learning to use). Oddly enough the Walking Dead got her thinking along those lines, and that made her think about real societal break down, and now the terrorism. So there may be hope. MAYBE.
Zombies are the PC metaphor for the real BGs and thanks to Hussein there are far more BGs in the world now then there were when he started in '08. Even PC Liberal women are terrified of what's happening to the Feminist Utopia of Sweden and can see what's coming to their underwear. Just don't expect them to admit ito_O

Senior congressional aides and sources in the gun-control community expect the White House to use its executive powers to tighten federal gun laws shortly after President Barack Obama returns from a Hawaiian vacation in early January.

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said Thursday he anticipates a legal review to continue through the holidays

Since the deadly shooting in San Bernardino, Calif., White House officials have been, as Earnest has put it, "scrubbing through the law" to determine whether and how Obama can use his constitutional authorities to make it harder for terrorists and other potential mass shooters to legally obtain firearms.

On both sides of the Capitol, sources involved in the guns debate say, as one senior House GOP leadership aide put it, "something is brewing on guns."

The hot-button issue returned to the front burner of American politics following the lethal Islamic State-inspired California shooting.

Since, however, Republican lawmakers have blocked Democratic measures on stiffening gun laws; and Democrats have kept a mental health bill the GOP has tied to mass shootings from passing, saying they would rather close loopholes in gun laws first.

A recent CNN/ORC poll suggests the American public is siding with GOP arguments. The survey found a majority (52 percent) of those polled oppose tighter gun laws. And a Washington Post/ABC News poll found 53 percent are against the assault weapons ban the White House has endorsed.

So far, the White House is keeping its plans — and the details of its legal review — under wraps. But sources say the administration is zeroing in on the definition of just who is in the gun sales realm.

"What we expect is that they are going to better define what it means to be 'in the business' of selling firearms," said a source with knowledge of the administration's thinking. Congressional aides say they are hearing similar rumblings.

Under current laws, only licensed firearms dealers are required to conduct background checks on those trying to buy guns. What's more, the only individuals considered "in the business" are ones who must apply to be dealers — but that leaves countless people selling firearms without registering.

"Currently many people, even those who sell tons of guns each year, just say that they aren't 'in the business,' or 'it's just a hobby,' in order to get out of the licensing and its attendant background check requirement," the source told Roll Call. "Because what 'in the business' means is so unclear, it's very difficult and thus very rare for people to be prosecuted under this standard.

A White House spokesman declined to comment on the status of the review and the expected coming executive action. Instead, he referred a reporter to Wednesday's briefing, during which Earnest called GOP lawmakers' resistance to changes the "central problem" in the administration's push to enact tougher gun laws.

"So part of our solution is to consider the range of authorities that are vested in the executive branch to try to advance some of those common-sense policies," Earnest said. "And we certainly do want to make sure that any sort of steps that the president would take have a strong legal basis in the law."

Congressional Republicans and the White House are at a standoff over access to guns. That's because GOP members hear "stricter gun laws" and process it as attack on their Second Amendment rights, while the administration describes tighter laws as "common sense steps" after a spate of mass shootings during Obama's tenure.

The White House has bluntly accused many Republican lawmakers with being too afraid of the powerful National Rifle Association to advocate for even modest changes. But, in the wake of San Bernardino shootings and revelations that the shooters were inspired by the Islamic State, it is clear Obama intends to do what he can with or without congressional backing.

"There are common-sense things that can be done that would make our country safer, that would make it harder for criminals and the mentally ill to get their hands on a firearm," Earnest said. "And we can do that without undermining the basic constitutional rights of law-abiding Americans."

Obama used a prime-time Oval Office address earlier this month to, in part, turn up the pressure on Congress to act.

"To begin with, Congress should act to make sure no one on a no-fly list is able to buy a gun," he said. "What could possibly be the argument for allowing a terrorist suspect to buy a semi-automatic weapon? This is a matter of national security."

But Republican members instantly rejected that call.

Speaker Paul D. Ryan, R-Wis., has countered the administration's gun arguments by saying anyone, including American citizens, "can arbitrarily be placed on the no fly list," adding officials must "respect due process."

Obama on Wednesday hosted former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg in the Oval Office, with gun control the topic of conversation. As the chief executive of the "Big Apple," Bloomberg was a major advocate of tightening access to firearms.

The White House said Obama and Bloomberg "discussed ways to keep guns out of the hands of those who should not have access to them and what more could be done at the state and local level to help address gun violence in America."

Obama also met on Dec. 4 with former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, R-Ariz., who was gravely injured in a 2011 shooting in Tucson.

Related:

Which Terror List Are Democrats Tying to Gun Control, Exactly?
See photos, follies, HOH Hits and Misses and more at Roll Call's new video site.

NEW! Download the Roll Call app for the best coverage of people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill.

624 Comments

Last Edited:
The shop I work weekends at has seen sales above average but not the major ramp up with ARs like after Sandy Hook more with handguns for canceled carry and a whole lot of new folks to the gun world. They are nervous after San Bernardino and their eyes got opened up to the fact that they are the first line of defense. They are asking about training and signing up within a few days of their purchase.

Yes AR sales are up but not a hundred in one day more like 10 a day over the last few weeks and many folks are speculators looking to up the price if they do try to ban anything.

Ammo sales are up but not in panic mode yet it's mainly the folks buying a new firearm are getting a few extra boxes to practice with and to have on hand.

He77, I was ahead last time!;)

I only got my CHL and first few handguns only a few months prior to last time. It was kind of fun though. Freedom munitions was putting up 100-150,000 rounds every morning around 8:10 am. It would sell out a few minutes later. that went on every day for 3 months straight. I had a website monitor checking their site every 30 seconds. I'd get 250 rounds of 9mm on order before it sold out. Then I'd sell about 1/2 of it to my staff at the office since they could not find any. Then rinse and repeat the next morning. I'd get about 3-4 orders a week. Luckily I didnt fall for any price gouging AR's though. Got a mechtech upper for my glock and messed around with that until everything calmed down.

I've picked up a few things recently but also I've found that you can get a better deal on new firearms than used ones at present.

CDNN has some nice stuff, and Keith's had some used P226R's at the show today for under $500! Plenty of cheap AR's too.

Gun show yesterday it was mare than 2 hour wait for a BGC at around 3:00. Saved me money as I was already tired and was going to pick up a lower, wasn't going to sit around for THAT long though.

When we got there just a minute or so after the doors open the line was about about 50 people outside. Of course these are firearms enthusiasts and not the general fishing population that all crowd to the front en mass at the last minute like at the Sportsman's Show, even though they just got there!

I dont see it. I bought two guns in December and 4 suppressors. All in stock and at fantastic prices. Picked up a new 9MM Tavor for $1630 and ordered me a PTR 91 for $650. Thought long and hard about buying a Barrett semi auto @ $6999 but they sold out before I made up my mind. (probably a good thing)

I think it's a combination of Christmas shopping / new owners.

Since the tragedy in San Bernardino and the recent talk of gun control / banning rifles by the Seattle Times, I've had 3 different friends who are all NON-GUN OWNERS ask me about the process of buying a gun and/or getting a concealed carry license. These are all regular folks who I talk to infrequently to, but we keep in touch over social media. I'm the guy who's not afraid to also post articles highlighting the hypocrisy of the anti-gun mass media too.

One of them even e-mailed me while on vacation right now in California and wants to go shopping / shooting as soon they arrive back in WA this week... so always be ready to help out your friends in joining the 2A community!

I think it's a combination of Christmas shopping / new owners.

Since the tragedy in San Bernardino and the recent talk of gun control / banning rifles by the Seattle Times, I've had 3 different friends who are all NON-GUN OWNERS ask me about the process of buying a gun and/or getting a concealed carry license. These are all regular folks who I talk to infrequently to, but we keep in touch over social media. I'm the guy who's not afraid to also post articles highlighting the hypocrisy of the anti-gun mass media too.

One of them even e-mailed me while on vacation right now in California and wants to go shopping / shooting as soon they arrive back in WA this week... so always be ready to help out your friends in joining the 2A community!
This is where being decent and polite in the past can really pay off. How many of them would be coming to you now if you'd been calling them libtards or whatever?

With the current wait on background checks... I'm 90 minutes from Washington and if I want a long gun it's almost better to drive to WA and do the purchase there then drive home.

Probably quicker. What Oregon don't know won't hurt them.

This is where being decent and polite in the past can really pay off. How many of them would be coming to you now if you'd been calling them libtards or whatever?

Very true, sir.

I think that's something that's sadly lost these days in discussions over politics / religion / etc here in America. People of conscience can and do agree to disagree over certain issues, and it's important that the 2A community keep reaching out to the "undecided middle" to convert more Americans to the idea that there's nothing wrong with gun ownership, just like there's nothing wrong with owning a hammer or a power saw.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top