JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Normalized (percent) Ammo prices over recent time

2021-06-16_14-32-07.png

The Rise And Fall Of Ammo Prices

All calibers are still priced at a nearly 50% premium higher than their pre-pandemic pricing (

Prices are definitely dropping.
Yep, price is dropping and you can easily buy it now. For a good while the "normal" sources just had none. When they got it, even at shocking price it was gone in minuets. Price is still too high for me but, it is selling. Just takes days or even weeks now. Just like last time a lot of people act like they have never seen this before even though its just a copy of what has happened in the past.
The ones that will be interesting is the auctions. Have not looked for a while but they had TON's of the stuff. People selling at what the market will allow. When some of them start to try to get out from under they dump a LOT on the market. For a long time my range shop was all but out of guns. I never paid much attention just walk through on the way to the range. Noticed the other day the walls are again FULL of long guns. As always people can only pile up so many guns. Ammo is a lot easier to stack deep. :D
Just as last time though we will still get the posts swearing the sky is falling. :s0092: Last time I answered one of these kind of posts with a pic of a case of 5K CCI .22 ammo I had just had dropped at my door for $6 a sleeve. Asking so how is it there is none yet this place has cases for sale for this price?
I am sure this time will be the same. Price will bottom out and some will still go to the web to claim we will never see it again. :s0092: I often wonder if some of this is not people trying to wring out as much cash as they can from stock they are trying to unload but waited too long.

Yep, price is dropping and you can easily buy it now. For a good while the "normal" sources just had none. When they got it, even at shocking price it was gone in minuets. Price is still too high for me but, it is selling. Just takes days or even weeks now. Just like last time a lot of people act like they have never seen this before even though its just a copy of what has happened in the past.
The ones that will be interesting is the auctions. Have not looked for a while but they had TON's of the stuff. People selling at what the market will allow. When some of them start to try to get out from under they dump a LOT on the market. For a long time my range shop was all but out of guns. I never paid much attention just walk through on the way to the range. Noticed the other day the walls are again FULL of long guns. As always people can only pile up so many guns. Ammo is a lot easier to stack deep. :D
Just as last time though we will still get the posts swearing the sky is falling. :s0092: Last time I answered one of these kind of posts with a pic of a case of 5K CCI .22 ammo I had just had dropped at my door for $6 a sleeve. Asking so how is it there is none yet this place has cases for sale for this price?
I am sure this time will be the same. Price will bottom out and some will still go to the web to claim we will never see it again. :s0092: I often wonder if some of this is not people trying to wring out as much cash as they can from stock they are trying to unload but waited too long.
Don't discount the politics of the Big Boys' owners. Every time the market price per round drops below where the Hedge Funds want it, they have their political puppets gin up a Ban Scare to start anoth panic surge and get the cycle going all over again.

Just got an ad email from Recoil Gunworks - selling 124gr 9mm Gold Dot for 90¢ per round (+P is 10¢ more?).

Ditto with HST.

That is almost reasonable for "premium" self-defense ammo.

And the "standard" JHP "Hi-Shok" for 54¢ per round.

I bought a lot of HST and Win SXT .40 from RGW, at about 50¢ per round pre-pandemic, but it was PD trade-in, usually unopened. I see they have no PD trade-in ammo now.

definitely falling and usually in stock everywhere. for awhile people were paying the scalp prices because thats all that was out there. then manufacturing was catching up slowly, people were buying strictly to scalp. cabellas always had herters for around $16 for #50 of 9mm and people still are selling #500 rounds for $250 in the classifieds.

now that prices are dropping and manufacturing is caught up as well. people arent needing to pay scalp prices.

unfortunately this last year iv noticed the firearm community tends to eat its own just as bad as the idiots buying 3 shopping carts full of TP.

Last Edited:
unfortunately this last year iv noticed the firearm community tends to eat its own just as bad as the idiots buying 3 shopping carts full of TP.
It's hard to sell your ammo for what you paid when others are selling it for 2X what you paid, even if you don't need the $.

The ammo I sold last year I mostly bought 5-10 years ago, so yeah, I sold it for a profit, but not as much as others were asking for the same thing, and I was flexible on the price - I usually sold most of it for less than I was asking, then I turned around and used that to buy better ammo. Some of what I sold, like 450 rounds of actual original Black Talon I bought decades ago, was collector's items and the buyer was going to turn around and sell individual boxes - probably for double what he paid. Whatever the market will bear.

It is as much the buyers fault as the seller - if nobody would pay the high prices then the prices would come down.

Just got an ad email from Recoil Gunworks - selling 124gr 9mm Gold Dot for 90¢ per round (+P is 10¢ more?).

Ditto with HST.

I bought a lot of HST and Win SXT .40 from RGW, at about 50¢ per round pre-pandemic, but it was PD trade-in, usually unopened. I see they have no PD trade-in ammo now.
Gold dot +P for .90

Bimart, 112nd and Halsey, potland, had 155gr 9mm Winchester whitebox for $65.00 a 200 pack! Wooo! They also had .40, .45acp, 7.62x39, Thunderbolt 500 .22lr (stoopid price, to me anyway) $70.00 I think? Also had Win white box 9mm at $17.50/50 I think it was.

I'm sure glad I'm not needing to grovel at those prices.

Ditto with HST.

Yes that is pretty much back to "normal". I use 124GD +P both the standard and Short Barrel. I stocked up on it right after I heard of it and tried some. This was pre at least 2 panics back. Pretty sure I was paying about $1 a round for what I have back then when there was no panic going on.

Bimart, 112nd and Halsey, potland, had 155gr 9mm Winchester whitebox for $65.00 a 200 pack! Wooo! They also had .40, .45acp, 7.62x39, Thunderbolt 500 .22lr (stoopid price, to me anyway) $70.00 I think? Also had Win white box 9mm at $17.50/50 I think it was.

I'm sure glad I'm not needing to grovel at those prices.
The .22 price is "odd" for them since its going for $55 a brick right now with no limits but maybe they bought from a supplier who was a little higher? It will come down of course.
The .35 cents a round 9mm is still too steep for me but, have to remember just a few months ago they could sell that same ammo for $1 a round and it would be gone the second it hit the shelves. The online places are never out of it any more. Used to hit for $1 a round for cheap "range ammo" and it was gone in seconds. Now its hovering around .40 a round and is selling but, no limits and its always there. May be a while till its .16 cents a round but if it was a quarter a round? I would still buy it rather than start rolling it again. If my supply gets too low I would probably even buy another case at .40 a round before dusting off the loading gear. Still working my normal hours and more so just don't want to spend the time rolling. Have been tempted a few times to buy a real nice progressive. Would probably never pay for it's self in my life time but, would be kind of cool. Say gee I need to make some more 9, flip a switch and watch rounds start falling out. :D :D :D

The .22 price is "odd" for them since its going for $55 a brick right now with no limits but maybe they bought from a supplier who was a little higher? It will come down of course.
The .35 cents a round 9mm is still too steep for me but, have to remember just a few months ago they could sell that same ammo for $1 a round and it would be gone the second it hit the shelves. The online places are never out of it any more. Used to hit for $1 a round for cheap "range ammo" and it was gone in seconds. Now its hovering around .40 a round and is selling but, no limits and its always there. May be a while till its .16 cents a round but if it was a quarter a round? I would still buy it rather than start rolling it again. If my supply gets too low I would probably even buy another case at .40 a round before dusting off the loading gear. Still working my normal hours and more so just don't want to spend the time rolling. Have been tempted a few times to buy a real nice progressive. Would probably never pay for it's self in my life time but, would be kind of cool. Say gee I need to make some more 9, flip a switch and watch rounds start falling out. :D :D :D
I'm really "Frugal". :D I liked reloading 9mm from the beginning in 2011

I'm really "Frugal". :D I liked reloading 9mm from the beginning in 2011
Sure as hell nothing wrong with that. If I was not working so many hours I would I am sure roll some more. I have always enjoyed it but, it's not my favorite way to kill time and time is short now days. Just pulled another 13 day strait work stint and then finally got 7 off. No idea when I will be able to take another week off and no end in sight for the extra shifts. Its why I have been sorely tempted to buy one of those fully automated machines. Damn things are amazing to watch running.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top