JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you see another pandemic coming?
I made that comment back in July, 2020. Almost a year ago. At that time, the general election of Nov. 2020 had not yet occurred. To date, the election seems to have had less to do with shortages than several other causes. However, the potential full impact of the outcome of that election has yet to play out. The Dems haven't had enough time yet to put any of their anti-gun plans into play. My feeling is that will come about sooner or later. When it does happen, we may see an aggravation of the guns and ammo supply problem. The supply situation has been pretty dire since my post in July, 2020. I don't know that it's gotten much better in the past month or so but I have read some reports here that a few things have started showing up again. I don't know that you might expect any meaningful relaxation of prices as things start to fill shelves again. Now manufacturers / distributors have the inflation angle to work for elevated pricing.

I don't have any way to foresee another pandemic coming - or not. These things just happen. It was a little over a hundred years since the last world-wide pandemic. That was the Spanish Flu in 1918-1919. Plus there have been some lesser epidemics on smaller scale. Like Hong Kong Flu, SARS virus, MERS virus, Ebola virus, Zika virus, etc. These are just some in recent times. I'd say as the world population continues to grow, the danger will increase.

A few days ago, I was watching a movie that was filmed in Japan in 1955. You could see some people here and there in the background wearing masks. Not because there was an active epidemic, but as a precaution against routine infectious agents out and about in a crowded-up urban environment.

Only a few boxes of 06 this week but no big cases online yet though I check a few caliber prices almost every day. It does seem more choices in make/model/bullet weights are showing up.

Been seeing a lot more ammo available online and even some slight price drops. Also noticing the guys whose financial plans consist of scalping their Bi Mart finds on here aren't selling it nearly as fast. There may just be a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel.

Last Edited:
Been seeing a lot more ammo available online and even some slight price drops. Also noticing the guys whose financial plans consist scalping their Bi Mart finds on here aren't selling it nearly as fast. There may just be a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel.
Some scalpers do not "get the memo" and keep asking high prices - saw one just yesterday - "walked on by" 'nothing to see here'

Some scalpers do not "get the memo" and keep asking high prices - saw one just yesterday - "walked on by" 'nothing to see here'
Wish I could keep a list of some of these mugs. But it's not worth the time or energy. Just like to fantasize a bit that some day they'll be without and not be able to afford the price. They shoulda' kept their ammo instead of selling it for a few bucks, that will be looong gone by that time.
I load most of my own calibers, and have decent stocks of those I don't. It's the loading supplies scalpers that would be on my list.

Getting an e-mail from bulk ammo and it seems someone is trying to take advantage. .45acp at $730.00 a 1000rnd and 10mm for $660.00? Isn't 10mm always more money than .45? $590.00 for a K of 9mm?

I've found the best place to buy ammo is right here through the forum classifieds. Being retired, I'm often able to check the listings several times a day. Patience pays off, whatever caliber I'm looking for, and even brand, eventually show up. It beats driving from store to store and wasting time and gas, plus I don't have to pay WA 10% sales tax and/or shipping costs. I have found a couple of great online sites though that don't charge sales tax and offer free shipping for nominal orders.

Last Edited:
I've found the best place to buy ammo is right here on the forum. Being retired, I'm often able to check the listings several times a day. Patience pays off, whatever caliber and even brand eventually show up. It beats driving from store to store and wasting time and gas, plus I don't have to pay WA 10% sales tax and/or shipping costs. I have found a couple of great online sites though that don't charge sales tax and offer free shipping for nominal orders.
^^ This
Before the pandemic I bought more online because there would be some online sources with good prices on bulk ammo (e.g., PSA was where I bout 80% of my 5.7 ammo), but then CV-19 hit and after last summer those prices went up a lot and availability went down a lot.

Since then I have bought most of my ammo from NWFA members - sometimes at reasonable prices, sometimes at very good prices.

It seems I don't go more than a month and someone offers something I could use, at a decent price. I do tend to only want to buy in bulk (100+ rounds, preferably 500+ rounds) to make it worth my time/effort to drive into town.

I can afford to be patient because I have most of what I need now, but if someone offers a good deal I tend to jump on it even if I don't need more of that caliber. I will probably have to wait a while to get more 9x19, 5.56, 7.62 ammo, but I can wait until the prices return to "normal".

I saw bricks of .22lr at the recent show in Rickreall for 7c/round, and plenty of 9mm for $30/box. That's still high, but definitely on the downward curve.

I put some ammo on the trader here, for a friend who doesn't do internet (though some of it is mine). 9mm doesn't move very fast even at $25/box now.

Yes I know even that's high, and I was concerned that some will think me a scalper for posting the ads. I've even had some low-ball offers, and that's fine. I buy ammo to shoot, not to sell, and the ammo my friend has was purchased before the craziness started. He says he doesn't need to sell it and will be thrilled if it doesn't sell because prices drop, but he doesn't want to dump it cheap to someone else who's going to flip it.

BiMart, NE Halsey had a bunch of Frontier .223 at $11.00 and change today. Some Winchester for $14.00+, and 200 packs of green tip for $179.00.

Ammo shortage is 100% over. There is, and was, plenty of ammo floating among distributors. Just have to wait out the price. For reference, 7.62x39 was ~ $190/1k rounds pre-covid, held its price pretty well, hovered up to ~ $250/1k during fall 2020, spiked one last time to $420/1k during winter, now back down to $290/1k.

Side note: thanks to great members here instead of hoarding/rationing my ammo I was able to jump into my new favorite caliber (5.45x39) for cheaper than pre-covid pricing so theres that. Thanks guys, yall know who you are.

Getting an e-mail from bulk ammo and it seems someone is trying to take advantage. .45acp at $730.00 a 1000rnd and 10mm for $660.00? Isn't 10mm always more money than .45? $590.00 for a K of 9mm?
I only watch one place, SG, only to see the "trend". They have for months now always had some 9mm. Often they have some other than the Russian stuff, for .50 a round. Often its there for days before it sells out. It's only been a little over a year since I was buying this for half that. The panic before this one was IIRC a couple years before it ended.
When I bought a 10MM rifle it was a couple years ago and all the 10mm ammo was pricey. For some reason the S&B stuff was the one exception. Was buying cases of it for about 1/2 what the others went for which was higher than .45 ammo.
So yes a lot of people must be buying 9mm for $500 a case still but, it does take longer to sell for that. :s0092:
Hell 6 months ago the $500 a case stuff was gone is seconds. You could click on the site showing it. Come back in a short while and it was showing sold out. So since it takes days now instead of minuets? We are going in the right direction.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top