Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Apparent fraudulent contact in response to NW Firearms WTB ad

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by aasbra, Apr 29, 2015.

1. aasbra

aasbra Portland Active Member

I wanted to provide a heads up to other members on an apparent fraudulent contact today. I received email notification that someone started a new conversation with me here on NW Firearms. The contact was from a "new member" without feedback who represented that they knew of a seller who they thought had the gun I was seeking. They wrote that they had purchased several firearms without any issues encountered from this "seller" in another state. They provided the "sellers" information, including a name, email address, and city, state, etc. of the "seller". First red flag was a "new member" here providing a distant lead, but I thought that I would follow-up and email the "seller" to get more information. After all, each of us were a "new member" when we first joined the site, right?

I asked the "seller" via email if they still had the item, and inquired as to condition, price, and if they had photos available. They quickly responded to my questions via email, and provided photos and informaiton about the handgun. More red flags: some of the language in the email response "$5ooUSD" price which includes "delivery". Payment via Western Union or Money gram. Asking what my shipping address was before I responded. At this point, I dropped it.

This afternoon, I went back to look into the matter a little further. A quick google search revealed that the images provided by the "seller" via email were lifted from an expired image on armslist. The email notification link to the NW Firearms site conversation now leads me to an error message, stating "The requested conversation could not be found." The user account for the "new member" now also leads to an error - "This user's profile is not available".

Hopefully this is a result of an administrator here catching onto the fraudulent contact and disabling/deleting the "new user", rather than the apparent fraudster going back and wiping away the trail of the contact in the event they were successful in fulfilling their intended purpose. Not sure which is the case.

Serves as a good reminder to keep an eye out for dishonest people. Unfortunately they are out there...

NoFlinch, Ant, BoonDocks36 and 3 others like this.
  2. Talin

Talin Hwy 30 Active Member

Agreed and somewhat on the topic there has been an "explosion" of sorts with new members recently. Seems like every other add I look at the person has no feedback, no likes, 1-2 messages and joined "today" or "yesterday". Personally don't mind it but with the 941 coming down to the wire, I presume that some of them arn't in fact what they say they are .... paranoid or not stick with your logic and deal carefully..... especially now!o_O

ocarolan, NoFlinch, Ant and 3 others like this.
  3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thank you for sharing this. We always encourage members to let us and others known when they encounter anything suspicious.

Please message me with whatever information you have and I'll handle it.

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I believe that that member had been reported this morning and they were banned. Was it a member by the name of bretneslson?

Ant, BoonDocks36, oknow and 3 others like this.
  5. Sicko360

Sicko360 Oregon city New Member

I had the same experience. With a bretnelson.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  6. aasbra

aasbra Portland Active Member

Yes that is correct. bretneslson was the new member who contacted me. Joe I will send you any additional info I have on the situation.

Thanks guys; I really appreciate your efforts to make this site the great resource that it is!

7. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

So what kind of sidearms do the Northwest Firearms police force carry?

Go get em guys!!!!!

Nightcrawler likes this.
  8. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

IMG_0464.jpg

:D

9. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Is that standard issue? If so I might consider a career change.... are you guys hiring???:D

Ant, U201491, Sgt Nambu and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Meh. If you're into that sort of thing. o_O

J/K Joe. Sweet piece!

Joe Link likes this.
  11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Very nice Joe! Looks both businesslike and beautiful! Little jealous here!;)

BoonDocks36 and U201491 like this.
  12. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

You running Wilson mags in that :) Hope so.
    Too nice for cheap mags. Wilson combat never fails.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  13. ruggdogg87

ruggdogg87 Tigard Active Member

I had the same experience with the same new member. I was puzzled when the user or conversation was not able to be found. But now you have answered my questions!

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  14. Joe Link

That's actually just a stock photo from the net. I'm running the factory mags, which I believe are Chip McCormick, but I agree :)

BoonDocks36 and U201491 like this.
  15. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I also had the same e-mail from Mr. Bret Nelson and didn't pursue his kindly offer to help me find that elusive HK P9s .45 acp pistol that I want, but don't really need.

16. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

BRET!

I'm still waiting for that shipment of a hundred military surplus HK P9s you promised me! I wired $500.32 to General Mbotu in Nigeria just like you said! He sounded more like a 15 year old kid on the phone, but I held up my half of the deal!

PS Sorry HK pistols were inferior quality for the Nigerian armed forces. I'm willing to keep buying them.

PPS Please send 'em soon 'cause I took out a second mortgage on my mom's boat to finance the deal. K thx bye

NoFlinch, Sgt Nambu and BoonDocks36 like this.
  17. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

I was trying to sell a motorcycle trailer, the pull behind kind, and received a similar type of message. They are pretty easy to stop as their grammar is not how I say most american's speak. I went along with it for awhile just to see when they were going to ask me to send them money. Sure enough they wanted me to pay for shipping the trailer. a little over 900 dollars, before the money would show up in my account.

18. shootnscoot

shootnscoot Wa Well-Known Member

" Payment via Western Union or Money gram"

When you see that, it's nearly always a scam.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  19. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

20. tunus

tunus PDX, United States Active Member

I'll go as far as saying it's ALWAYS a scam. I've never ever seen a legitimate post asking for Western Union or Money Gram.

BoonDocks36 likes this.