JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whats the difference between adding sights and adding a different trigger. Id like to see someone post 1 case of self defense that was lost solely because the person had put an aftermarket trigger in their pistol.
Better sights make a gun safer to shoot, better triggers make the gun easier to shoot....
I don't know if its fair to ask a common person to prove a court case exists, when most people don't have access to the thousands of self defense court cases and where to find them. But its not unreasonable to say the subject wont be used against you in court such as Santibanes v. Tomball, TX. I think the general idea is a custom trigger is fine as long as it doesnt lighten the trigger pull from the factory trigger.

The consideration to take here is the advice from lawyers and reputable trainers who will never suggest to lighten a trigger.

Heres a good reference from a legal expert on the subject,, including referencing cases where trigger pull was brought up in court.

Better sights make a gun safer to shoot, better triggers make the gun easier to shoot....
I don't know if its fair to ask a common person to prove a court case exists, when most people don't have access to the thousands of self defense court cases and where to find them. But its not unreasonable to say the subject wont be used against you in court such as Santibanes v. Tomball, TX. I think the general idea is a custom trigger is fine as long as it doesnt lighten the trigger pull from the factory trigger.

The consideration to take here is the advice from lawyers and reputable trainers who will never suggest to lighten a trigger.

Heres a good reference from a legal expert on the subject,, including referencing cases where trigger pull was brought up in court.
I would definitely argue that better sights make a gun easier to shoot. Not safer. Also that link is a long read so admittedly i skimmed through a lot of it and read a lot. The biggest issue I can see in there is people reducing trigger weight. Replacing a pistol trigger doesn't necessarily mean reducing weight to a "hair trigger".

Last Edited:
How many people put night sights on a pistol? Is that so we can all shoot people in the dark? Whats the difference between adding sights and adding a different trigger. Id like to see someone post 1 case of self defense that was lost solely because the person had put an aftermarket trigger in their pistol. I haven't seen it and I've threw that challenge out there a few times. If your worried about it dont do it but I seriously doubt it'd make a lick of difference. The most important thing now days is what color are you and what color is the person you shot. Unfortunately that's where we're at right now.
I understand and agree completely I was just stating what I've been told heard and read. And I agree 100% with the last part of your post as well.

How many people put night sights on a pistol? Is that so we can all shoot people in the dark? Whats the difference between adding sights and adding a different trigger. Id like to see someone post 1 case of self defense that was lost solely because the person had put an aftermarket trigger in their pistol. I haven't seen it and I've threw that challenge out there a few times. If your worried about it dont do it but I seriously doubt it'd make a lick of difference. The most important thing now days is what color are you and what color is the person you shot. Unfortunately that's where we're at right now.
Gunwriter Massad Ayoob champions that theory.
Many subscribe to it and recite it in self defense threads.
Supposedly he cited a particular case.

I'm not looking to lighten my trigger at all. Just have a much better trigger. And I will admit I've not shot M&P's enough to become proficient with them. But shooting the Gen5 19 for the first time ever I noticed and felt it was better than all my stock M&P triggers. As I described it had a much more positive reset. I was just surprised at how much more I liked the Glock trigger especially for never shooting a 19 before I've held many Glocks. But they just didn't feel as good in hand as M&P. So it's just kind of confused me on which way to go. And regardless of which pistol I go with, I definitely could use some formal pistol training. Been around firearms for years just never really got into shooting pistols until a few years ago. Thanks to all who have responded I great appreciate all the great input. Thank you! Oh and I definitely know it not the gun it's the operator.

Last Edited:
I'm not looking to lighten my trigger at all. Just have a much better trigger.
I think as long as you dont lighten it your fine with the upgrade. Its just worth knowing the possibilities so people can make their own decision, a lot of times people blindly dismiss the idea or dont realize their upgrade could reduce the pull.

I've installed them on both my M&P 2.0s both are range guns definitely worth it to me Cleaner break and reset. It not only makes the Tigger pull lighter all around better. I do have 2 shield 9mm and I won't put a aftermarket trigger on those as I don't want something that light of a pull when concealed. Apex just released a plastic trigger vs metal and its half the cost my go that route if your in the fence.

A broken popsicle stick is a good replacement trigger for a M&P. I carry a Shield and the factory trigger is right there with the SD9VE I owned, with having the worst mushy sh!tty trigger I had the displeasure of pulling. That being said, I know nothing of the Apex. I did replace the factory trigger with a Hyve trigger and it is like shooting a different gun. Just about zero take up and no mushy stuff

I've watching more videos on both the Glock 19 and M&P Compact. I just wondering if since the Glock trigger sits a little farther forward than the M&P. If that's part of my issue with the M&P. I'll admit I never really ever shoot any Glocks enough to get a real feel for the trigger and how they shoot. As I've said I had the 22 but only shot it maybe 4-5 times.

When the prosecutor asks you at your trial why you upgraded your trigger on your carry gun, whats the best answer to give?
I upgraded the trigger to improve the general accuracy of the gun, to help ensure I would hit the target and not send errant rounds down range where they might injure or kill an innocent bystander.

But you may want to run that by your attorney before you get on the stand...because I'm just some guy on the interwebz and what the hell do I know about self defense law? :)

I've watching more videos on both the Glock 19 and M&P Compact. I just wondering if since the Glock trigger sits a little farther forward than the M&P. If that's part of my issue with the M&P. I'll admit I never really ever shoot any Glocks enough to get a real feel for the trigger and how they shoot. As I've said I had the 22 but only shot it maybe 4-5 times.
I've owed glocks and after shooting my m&p I prefer the m&p. I know glocks are good but just don't like how glocks feel or shoot. Most guns are not a perfect match to everyone one might like the glock trigger one will hate it. Vise versa for m&p it's best to shoot what you like and ignore the rest. Like stated above a good trigger is always nice but better sights and practice will always make you a better shot. Most factoy guns will out shoot the operator and with practice one can be accurate with a bubblegum trigger but not bubblegum sights.

I've owed glocks and after shooting my m&p I prefer the m&p. I know glocks are good but just don't like how glocks feel or shoot. Most guns are not a perfect match to everyone one might like the glock trigger one will hate it. Vise versa for m&p it's best to shoot what you like and ignore the rest. Like stated above a good trigger is always nice but better sights and practice will always make you a better shot. Most factoy guns will out shoot the operator and with practice one can be accurate with a bubblegum trigger but not bubblegum sights.
Very valid points all the way around. Thank you!

I recently installed a full apex kit with the curved trigger on a M&P Compact in 9mm, and it completely changed my opinion about the gun. I really like shooting it now.

I cannot stand the factory hinged triggers.
I kept the original springs to obtain the lighest possible trigger with the apex kit. It is almost too light for a carry gun (but 100% reliable so far). I might play with other weight combinations in the future.
Reset is not quite as pronounced as the glock's, but better than factory and much shorter.
Installing the kit was super easy aside from drifting the rear sight. on this particular pistol I almost broke a very heavy duty sight pusher. On other m&p pistols it seems like you can drift the rear with a brass punch after removing the set screw. If you happen to have a tight fit like mine was, do not expect to finish this job without a proper sight pusher.

Overall really worth it in my opinion.

Last Edited:
Wow handled to Gen5 Glock 45 9mm it's super nice. The one I handled was a Red White and Blue version. I felt great in my hand. But the 19 feels great too. The positive trigger reset is really tug at the heart strings.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top