JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rules that are not legally enforceable arent worth the paper they're written on or not written on. Tenants have a wide variety of rights in their homes that rival what home owners enjoy. The question being common areas. Rule or no rule my guess is their prohibition of dispayed firearms in common areas is not legally enforceable. Having been a landlord for quite some time, and never again, I got to see how most of what I put on paper was just me straining my hand typing stuff.

I have been a landlord too. Can't say I liked it much. Threads like this remind me why I sold and moved on........

Rules that are not legally enforceable arent worth the paper they're written on or not written on. Tenants have a wide variety of rights in their homes that rival what home owners enjoy. The question being common areas. Rule or no rule my guess is their prohibition of dispayed firearms in common areas is not legally enforceable. Having been a landlord for quite some time, and never again, I got to see how most of what I put on paper was just me straining my hand typing stuff.
I think it's the same as any legal agreement. If it's very specific then it's easier to see if a rule is broken or not. If it's vague it's subject to interpretation and can be argued by both sides and lawyers become richer.

IMO this is simply a case of do u want to try to get along with managers and your neighbors or do u want to fight?

Some people are predisposed in one direction or another. I would suggest picking ur battles carefully because of potential unintended consequences such as references for future living places but everyone has to decide for themselves when it's time to fight or time to try to get along.

Hello? Are you new?

Total strangers on the street can't tell if you're a mouth-breathing psychopath or not. So how would a myopic anti-gunner apply common sense to ANYTHING you believe in? Likewise, you have no idea what sort of spiteful, political, vindictive, fiction such a narrow-minded stranger might choose to invent about you... that you "brandished" your gun or "threatened" them - just to "teach you a lesson."

And they're hardly a minority around here. Just look at the trash occupying das Kapitol.

Then, when Deputy Fife shows up to take the report (perhaps believing there might be an actual threat in progress), the burden falls upon on you to explain it all away. Your word against the panicky douche-canoe who reported you, and YOU'RE the guy with a rep for strutting around The Tombstone Apartments like Wyatt Earp.

Since that is exactly the kind of hassle I will NEVER need, I remain gray, anonymous and invisible to strangers. Nobody needs to see the slightest clue that I'm armed.

Last Edited:
"If"?

I know its possible but no where in Cali is it a "shall issue" condition.

I do find it ironic the OP is complaining about
Hello? Are you new?

Total strangers on the street can't tell if you're a mouth-breathing psychopath or not. How would a myopic anti-gunner apply common sense to ANYTHING you believe in? Likewise, you have no idea what sort of spiteful, political, vindictive, fiction such a narrow-minded stranger might choose to invent about you... that you "brandished" your gun or "threatened" them - just to "teach you a lesson."

And they're hardly a minority around here. Just look at the trash occupying das Kapitol.

Then, when Deputy Fife shows up to take the report (perhaps believing there might be an actual threat in progress), the burden falls upon on you to explain it all away. Your word against the panicky douche-canoe who reported you, and YOU'RE the guy with a rep for strutting around Tombstone Apartments like Wyatt Earp.

Since that is exactly the kind of hassle I will NEVER need, I remain gray, anonymous and invisible to strangers. Nobody needs to see the slightest clue that I'm armed.
I'm more graige because I'm hep.

Longtime Landlord in Oregon and a member of the Rental Owners Assoc.

While it is true that judges give landlords fits by letting tenants get away with all manner of rental agreement violations, I wouldn't count on getting a friendly judge after having an eviction filed on me for repeatedly strutting around while strapped in violation of the rental contract. (IMO, if it bothers or alarms others and they complain, YOU have disobeyed the rule. Just remember it's always the loudest/biggest whiners that get heard!)

As for the legalities of the clause in the agreement. How it is worded is very much like our state laws... giving the judge/jury the leeway to rule as they wish. What I do know is that it IS possible to contractually waive your rights... inexperienced landlords that don't use standard agreements that have been checked against the Landlord/Tenant laws do it all the time. And but for sympathetic judges Contracts may prevail except for when they violate the Landlord/Tenant Law. I don't see how that rule would be a violation of the law, and renters sign the contract freely and not under duress. Want to leave it up to the judge to decide, go for it!!!

I just don't see the overall point in the behavior. It's like loud cursing of the F word and the C word in public, or running around with your shirt off and your rolls of saggy fat and your manboobs hanging... it's legal, but obnoxious.

This whole concealed carry permit is outdated anyway. A relic if the wild west where "only bad guys conceal weapons". If anything it should be needed a permit to open carry. Or no permit at all. But yes, they aren't gonna kick you out because you are exercising a right.

Thems the rules. Remember its their property their right.

I know state law says its okay but you have to factor in general awareness and emotions towards it. Unless you are Pro gun and Pro 2A politically most will frown or worry at the sight of a weapon as often its associated too much with violence or violent people owning/using them. When I did an exchange at MK tactical not long ago I was asked by the owner to keep the item in question concealed or in a box/bag when leaving since they have received complaints from the neighbors in the area. Not on their property but by being in proximity to a gun store can cause concern for some (in which case i'd ask why do you live there still?)

These rules are likely also in place to legally protect them or their property. signing these big pages of rules and stuff is often over looked by the individual so to you its only a problem when you are made aware of it, even though you did nothing wrong by exercising your right it doesn't mean you cannot be infringing on private property and its rights or those around you.

I would suggest getting a CHL and carrying concealed from now to avoid any commotion. Save open carry for some place away from home or in the privacy of your unit.

Last week, I was at the gun counter at Bi-Mart. I had a technical question for the employee regarding wear on the pistol I bought there two years ago, so right on the counter he and I field stripped the twin guns (mine and the store's one) and compared wear patterns, determining it was a finishing matter and not wear.

In any case, after resolving the matter, he put the store's gun back in the display.

I assembled mine, load, charge and back in the IWB.

The woman standing next to me was OBVIOUSLY waiting for at least ammo. Nothing but guns and bullets within 10 feet.

I was still taken aback at her look of concern when I re-holstered.

Like, where the hell am I SUPPOSED to put it?

The fact that you got that email and nobody is talking to you directly, suggests to me that there ain't a damn thing they can do. Were you in an actual "common area" or were you just coming and going from your unit?

At any rate, the highlighted part says the following...

...displaying a gun in the common area in a way that may alarm others.

Walking to/from your unit with a holstered gun is not "displaying your gun". At least I sure don't consider that "displaying." If you took your gun out of the holster and fondled it, that could be considered "displaying." And if you did that, don't.

They, of course, might have a different idea on what constitutes "displaying." But again, they just sent you that dumb email. Nobody has come to you directly and I would ignore all this until they do. I would also stay out of the common areas while OC'ing except in as much as you may have to go through them to get to your unit.

I don't doubt, however, that some of the sheep were alarmed by seeing you do this. And I suspect you'll get more emails if you continue OC'ing.

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor! :)

A bit of a thread drift here, my concern with open carry in an urban area is gun grabbers, ones that come up behind you and try to grab the gun out of your holster. Granted one hopes to feel that happening and react with great force to convince the grabber how really bad an idea that was but I prefer the out of sight, out of mind idea better.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top