JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Open carry is not a great idea, especially in today's hyper sensitive anti gun civilization! While it may be legal to do so, expect to get flicked a bunch of crap for doing it! Doing this is just asking for trouble, is it really worth it, do you really need to push it!

FYI, to folks whom may be reading this thread.

OP states he open carries because he lacks a CHL.

Be aware that in Oregon, cities and towns may have laws prohibiting open carry WITHOUT a CHL.

Regardless of how one feels about open or conceal carry, please be mindful of being lawful. It's well not worth risking future RKBA, employment, legal hassles and whatnot.

Makes me glad I own my property. Though I still try pretty hard not to draw attention to myself, especially the black rifles. Neighbors from apartments are the worst.

The wording highlighted in the contract does not expressly condemn carrying an open weapon, but only doing so in a way that alarms others. I believe you are right to continue open carry, particularly as you are not in possession of a CHL. If they want to remind you again and push the issue, perhaps they can use more specific wording at the time.

So, the contractual obligation is to not carry a gun in the common area in a way that "will alarm others."

Unfortunately, this is appears to be some undefined legal mumbo jumbo that gives the complex the ability to make any decision they want, case by case, on into the future. Since even the mere sight of a gun has the power to raise the heart rate of those most fragile of snowflakes...open carry could "alarm" someone.

At which point, you're in violation of your contract and, I assume, they'd have the full right to evict you. Could be worse, I lived in a place that said "no firearms in the common areas, period." So, every time you hit the range, you violate that one.

You're living in their house, you got to follow their rules. Even sending you that email seems to me to indicate their stance on the issue: they're not going to stand up and back your gun rights. "Alarm" enough people and you are suddenly the squeaky wheel...

Have that wording looked over by a lawyer and let the lawyer send an appropriate answer. Displaying it in a manner to alarm others is not what you are doing. And the real meaning behind it would be "brandishing". A firearm carried in a holster, or case, would be not be assumed as alarming by a reasonable person. That would be my approach, I like picking those fights just to educate stupid. I would not put my tail between my legs if I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong.

My 2016 copy of Kevin Starrett's book "Oregon's Gun Laws" says:
Localities may not regulate open carry; they may regulate loaded carry in public places.
and
If a person does not have a CHL and he wants to transport a gun but he is either walking or taking public transit ... the only legal way to do so is to carry the firearm openly.
Edit: the regulation of loaded carry doesn't apply to CHL holders. Hopefully we can keep it that way.

Last Edited:
Except this is private property. An apt owner can prohibit guns in your own apt if they want.
Thats a whole nother issue in and of itself. If they were prohibiting you this and something happens where a firearm could have saved the situation, the property owner makes themself liable and open to lawsuit. I researched this extensively. Most Landlords are simply silent on the issue. Just like for him,its not prohibited, but possesing and displaying it in a manner that's alarming is. Like... waving it around or having it in your wasteband like a gangbanger for example. A regular person, gun in a holster, is none of that. They wouldn't put that in there if it hasn't happened in the past. Look, I'd simply seek the conversation with the Office and explain to them that its not threatening and not intended to alarming but the only legal way for your self protection. Given they only send that email, if you explain yourself, they would probably just dismiss further complains...

Last Edited:
Have that wording looked over by a lawyer and let the lawyer send an appropriate answer. Displaying it in a manner to alarm others is not what you are doing. And the real meaning behind it would be "brandishing". A firearm carried in a holster, or case, would be not be assumed as alarming by a reasonable person. That would be my approach, I like picking those fights just to educate stupid. I would not put my tail between my legs if I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong.

He will be there for one month more. He'll be on his way to CA by the time the letter gets written, navigates the mails, and gets read by anyone (and long gone before the response from their lawyer comes back), plus out about a grand or two. If I was about to throw away that sum in righteous anger, I'd stop, count to ten, and buy a firearm that lasts a lifetime. Or ammo. Or a fancy progressive Dillon. ...

Oh for example I cleared up an issue I had right away. My lease says I have to move my car every 3 days or its considered stored and gets towed.... lol...look up the definition of "stored" means "put away for future use".

Applies to any and every car ever parked anywhere. So, I have a classic car that's driven mostly in nice weather. I told them, its a classic, its common that Its not driven as much, its operable. If this gets towed, we'll be in court. Never even had the hunch of a tow sticker on it. They do that so people don't dump old broken junk in their parkinglot. Just be assertive but polite lol

We should have a national open carry day where everyone open carries for a day. Even if they have a CCP or don't usually carry at all. That would be awesome!

They don't care for OC in Commiefornia either.

Carrying a loaded firearm openly in public has been prohibited since 1966 when the Black Panthers invaded the state legislature. Of course, this doesn't count concealed carry. Unloaded, open carry is mostly prohibited as well. County sheriffs and chiefs of police in less populated areas have a legal basis to issue permits for open carry. My reading online gives me the impression that these are not commonly issued.

do you know for certain this holds true in kommiefornia?

OP said he had a CC permit lined up for a northern California location. Just for information, the CC permit density map in Calif. is linked here:

CC permits are granted at the discretion of the county sheriffs. So the likelihood of obtaining such a permit varies from county to county. I love to look at this stuff. This data is from five years ago but it's probably still representative. The data includes CC permits that have been granted and those that are "pending." One wonders how many of those pending have been in that column for quite some time.

Look at SF, 2 permits granted, 4 pending. A great, big, populous county like LA, only 560 granted, 210 pending. Up north in Shasta County, much smaller population but 5,906 granted and 210 pending.

One of my best friends from school days and later made a career as director of finance in a southern California city. His department processed expenditures for public safety, such as the police. The police chief made special requests of my friend from time to time. On one such occasion, the chief said to my friend, "Anything I can do for you, just let me know." My friend said, "There is one thing you can do, and that is get me a concealed weapon permit." The chief replied, "That's the one thing I can't do for you."

County sheriffs and city police chiefs have the say as to who gets these permits but they are usually under pressure from above not to issue them.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR