JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The pistol caliber carbine thread in the Preparedness section jogged my memory on this. From time to time, I find the SBRed version of the Auto-Ordnance Thompson tempting.* Looks neat-o. Price isn't anywhere near that of transferable. Ammo and magazines are available.

The problem? Auto-Ordnance. My experience them is limited to two firearms. One was good, albeit totally impractical (Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum), other than blasting away at the home range. It was fun, but didn't really fit any niche, and I sold it last year. The other was their M1 Carbine offering. It was, how do I put this, one of the biggest piles of goat excrement I ever had the displeasure of owning. It would not run for anything; two trips back to the factory, thorough cleanings, tried every type of ammo I could lay hands on (domestic and foreign), tried different magazines, tried a spring kit ... nothing could make it cycle through (literally) a single magazine. (The sporterized carbine I picked up last month was made like 80 years ago, during wartime conditions, and has yet to have a single malfunction with anything, ammo or mags, I've stuffed into it. Go figure.)

Anyone own and/or extensively play with one of this? Worth a go or forget it? Other options or not really? (Considering a real, transferable one is not a no-go, but MG research/shopping is in a different vein at the present.)

Thanks much!

* These.

M1SB_H0A5500-scaled.jpg

Parenthetically, my normal modus operandi on such a thing is to just give it a spin; keep if works, dump if doesn't, rinse and repeat. Works fine for Title I items. Title II it doesn't, with few exceptions. So, that is a factor.

Time changes everything so it's real hard to say something didn't work and now it does. Companies change over the years and so does their quality. If you want a rock and roll Thompson I know someone who has one and a competent class three dealer to get the paperwork through. PM me if you want one.

Two questions.

How hard is swapping a barrel on this type of rifle? As in, buy a title 1 and SBR it, swap barrel and or back to 16" ifyou don't like it.

Have your shot a Thompson? They are not the most ergonomic thing. The full autos have horrendous triggers, though you only need to pull once really and "ride through it". If the semis trigger is similar, I'd hate to have to pull it over and over again.

There is a lot o glitz and glamour around the Tommy guns. But, like that 21 year old girlfriend, she's fun to rock around with for a weekend, but the devil comes out the rest of the week.

If you're really into Thompsons look up Paul Krogh at Diamond K; 20 years ago he had a rep as the "TSMG Whisperer," and if he's still around he'd be the first guy I'd call for a checkup on one.

Do swap on a real GI mag catch so you can use stock GI mags.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads