Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anywhere I can quickly get my AR-15 A2 front sight removed?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by tkepongo, Jul 22, 2015.

1. tkepongo

tkepongo Portland New Member

So I'm hoping to get a new gas block installed by Saturday morning and I need to remove my stock A2 front sight. Problem is....that thing is a BEAST! I already tried using a punch set but they keep drifting since the pins on the A2 is not flat.

Does anyone know where I can take my barrel to have someone punch out those two pins by Saturday? I'm gonna call Curt's in the morning to see if they can quickly just punch those out for me on the same day since it should take a professional a couple minutes but who knows, they might take a couple days to work through their backlog first.

2. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

arent they taper pins and only can be driven out in one direction? might need something penetrating like kroil to get them started

3. tkepongo

Yeah, you have to remove them from punching from the left side. Problem is, even if I use Kroil on it I wouldn't have the taper punch by Saturday. I will still run into the issue of the punch drifting all over the place when I hammer it down. I'm hoping to get the new gas block installed by Saturday morning when I go out shooting.

4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Try heating the gas block up a bit with a torch (and not the pins) so the holes will expand a bit.

5. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I carefully cut mine off with a dremel. Might be an option if you have one.

6. tkepongo

I took it to J&B Firearms in Beaverton and they had it removed within a couple hours! Great service and knowledgeable staff :)

Norm0931 likes this.