JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got a 181 series Mini in a trade, so 1:10 twist. Any quirks to loading for the Mini, or can I just proceed as I would for any other semi-auto .223? Haven't checked it yet, but does anyone know what max length the mag allows, or is it pretty much the same as an AR? Thanks.

Dave

Just got a 181 series Mini in a trade, so 1:10 twist. Any quirks to loading for the Mini, or can I just proceed as I would for any other semi-auto .223? Haven't checked it yet, but does anyone know what max length the mag allows, or is it pretty much the same as an AR? Thanks.

Dave
Load to standard .223 specs. You will be fine just remember to full length size every case properly.

2.220" if I'm not mistaken is the target length. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go look in my books to verify.

2.220" if I'm not mistaken is the target length. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go look in my books to verify.

Close. Depends on the manual, but 55gr tends to be 2.20" (max 2.26"), with a trim length of 1.75" (max 1.76"). Some of the heavier loads go to 2.25". Hornady at least goes with that, and that's what I've been loading recently. Nosler, of which I have projectiles but haven't loaded yet, tend to be closer to the max side for both of those measurements. Those manuals typically are for 24/26" barrels, so you're going to have to experiment.

If you're accustomed to loading for your ARs, you should be ok, so long as you don't load to pressures for 5.56x45 with a .223 barrel. Modern minis tend to be chambered in 5.56, but older ones aren't (so check your barrel).

As to the Mini itself:

Some people complain about barrel whip on older guns, especially after the barrel heats up, and some go get an 'accu-strut' to combat this. Some say that heavier grain bullets (62/68) stabilize better in theirs. I have a more modern version in 5.56 and it shoots Minute-of-Man for me with either 5.56 or .223.

Full Disclosure: I'm in the Mini fan camp, as I like M14's and Garands and the same manual of arms, so I tend to overlook the (well-reasoned) complaints when comparing them to MSRs. If you find a good load that works in your rifle, you won't care what others think. Welcome to the Mini owners club. :)

I like my mini14, it shoots well enough for me and others who have shot it but then we don't go out of our way to abuse it, it is easy enough to maintain too especially in stainless. Never could understand the detractors, for what it is and the price I thought it was a good buy when I bought it in 2013. I added a sling stud to use the universal stud mounted bi pod with good results. My first "plastic gun" I must admit I miss the wood even though the lightness is attractive.
I shoot it less and less so thinking of moving it along some day if only because all my gun racks are full and don't care to make another rack and I'm sure I'll need another space sooner or later.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top