JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's been a while since I've been interested in any new weapons or facelifts of of tried and true platforms. The last weapon that showed real promise in my eye was the Kel Tec RFB.

What am I missing? The firearm industry is boring me lately.

Keltec does seem to be an innovator with the bullpup pump shotgun coming out as well. A lot of the new ideas seem to have price tags that put them out of reach for me. The only thing new that I want is the PS90 and that isn't even new. I'm actually developing an interest in older weapons that have a bit of history in them.

What happened to that company making STG44s?
I heard they lost some war or something like that :)

Bushmaster bought the Masada from Magpul and made the ACR which is a seriously watered down version of the original. FN made the SCAR light and heavy which seem pretty nice. Both of them are overpriced but they are new so hopefully they'll get down to reasonable levels eventually.
I don't know if the long barrel RFB is out yet but I'm kind of interested to see what kind of accuracy it can do. The weapon is already so compact even with a long barrel you are still probably around the length of an M4. I really like the Desert Tactical SRS, but again. $$$$$$

They're been "new" for like 5 years. I've given up.

Besides, I've heard really bad things about the ACR. Horrendous build quality.

With all this demand, why so little new choices? The market must be weak.

Guns are like cars. You can make the "same old" with some minor changes and sell a lot of them or you can come up with something "exotic" that will appeal to a select few and sell a relatively small number.

Those who stick with "same old" usually have to sell for very little margin because of the market saturation. Those who produce the "exotic's" have to charge more because the market area is limited.

When your interest is "fun" then that fancy new auto-loading rifle might be OK. When it comes to having a rifle that one can rely on, repair with ease, have parts just about everywhere you go, then the good old AR or AK is pretty much "the market". When you get right down to it, look at the Bolt Action Rifle. Not a whole bunch has changed from Paul Mauser's design over 140 years later.

I'm still waiting for one of these:

No ammo, just plug it in overnight to "rearm".

With all this demand, why so little new choices? The market must be weak.
I think the majority of companies that build rifles shifted all their capacity into churning out more AR-15s around 2008 to cash in on the EBR frenzy. Now that it's settled down maybe we'll see some new stuff. I'd really like it if magpul would produce that FMG even if it's just for semi-auto glocks and had to be registered as a SBR. Good excuse to get a 10mm glock.

Guns are like cars. You can make the "same old" with some minor changes and sell a lot of them or you can come up with something "exotic" that will appeal to a select few and sell a relatively small number.

Those who stick with "same old" usually have to sell for very little margin because of the market saturation. Those who produce the "exotic's" have to charge more because the market area is limited.

When your interest is "fun" then that fancy new auto-loading rifle might be OK. When it comes to having a rifle that one can rely on, repair with ease, have parts just about everywhere you go, then the good old AR or AK is pretty much "the market". When you get right down to it, look at the Bolt Action Rifle. Not a whole bunch has changed from Paul Mauser's design over 140 years later.

I'm still waiting for one of these:

No ammo, just plug it in overnight to "rearm".

5966202_3_l.jpg

I am holding my breath for the imminent release of the Boberg compact pistol (BobergArms.com) It's just an old machine gun design from 1900 or so converted into an ultracompact rotary barrel 9mm pistol by a fairly brilliant designer/machinist from Northern Minnesota. His website has lots of videos of the design in action. I'm on the list begging for a used, scratch and dent, demo model, tire tracks are no problem...............can't wait...........................elsullo

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top