Anything new and exciting?

Reactions
It's been a while since I've been interested in any new weapons or facelifts of of tried and true platforms. The last weapon that showed real promise in my eye was the Kel Tec RFB.

What am I missing? The firearm industry is boring me lately.

Reactions
Keltec does seem to be an innovator with the bullpup pump shotgun coming out as well. A lot of the new ideas seem to have price tags that put them out of reach for me. The only thing new that I want is the PS90 and that isn't even new. I'm actually developing an interest in older weapons that have a bit of history in them.

Reactions
What happened to that company making STG44s?
I heard they lost some war or something like that :)

Bushmaster bought the Masada from Magpul and made the ACR which is a seriously watered down version of the original. FN made the SCAR light and heavy which seem pretty nice. Both of them are overpriced but they are new so hopefully they'll get down to reasonable levels eventually.
I don't know if the long barrel RFB is out yet but I'm kind of interested to see what kind of accuracy it can do. The weapon is already so compact even with a long barrel you are still probably around the length of an M4. I really like the Desert Tactical SRS, but again. $$$$$$

OP
CharlesAFerg
Reactions
They're been "new" for like 5 years. I've given up.

Besides, I've heard really bad things about the ACR. Horrendous build quality.

With all this demand, why so little new choices? The market must be weak.

Reactions
Guns are like cars. You can make the "same old" with some minor changes and sell a lot of them or you can come up with something "exotic" that will appeal to a select few and sell a relatively small number.

Those who stick with "same old" usually have to sell for very little margin because of the market saturation. Those who produce the "exotic's" have to charge more because the market area is limited.

When your interest is "fun" then that fancy new auto-loading rifle might be OK. When it comes to having a rifle that one can rely on, repair with ease, have parts just about everywhere you go, then the good old AR or AK is pretty much "the market". When you get right down to it, look at the Bolt Action Rifle. Not a whole bunch has changed from Paul Mauser's design over 140 years later.

I'm still waiting for one of these:

No ammo, just plug it in overnight to "rearm".

Reactions
With all this demand, why so little new choices? The market must be weak.
I think the majority of companies that build rifles shifted all their capacity into churning out more AR-15s around 2008 to cash in on the EBR frenzy. Now that it's settled down maybe we'll see some new stuff. I'd really like it if magpul would produce that FMG even if it's just for semi-auto glocks and had to be registered as a SBR. Good excuse to get a 10mm glock.

OP
CharlesAFerg
Reactions
Guns are like cars. You can make the "same old" with some minor changes and sell a lot of them or you can come up with something "exotic" that will appeal to a select few and sell a relatively small number.

Those who stick with "same old" usually have to sell for very little margin because of the market saturation. Those who produce the "exotic's" have to charge more because the market area is limited.

When your interest is "fun" then that fancy new auto-loading rifle might be OK. When it comes to having a rifle that one can rely on, repair with ease, have parts just about everywhere you go, then the good old AR or AK is pretty much "the market". When you get right down to it, look at the Bolt Action Rifle. Not a whole bunch has changed from Paul Mauser's design over 140 years later.

I'm still waiting for one of these:

No ammo, just plug it in overnight to "rearm".
5966202_3_l.jpg

Reactions
I am holding my breath for the imminent release of the Boberg compact pistol (BobergArms.com) It's just an old machine gun design from 1900 or so converted into an ultracompact rotary barrel 9mm pistol by a fairly brilliant designer/machinist from Northern Minnesota. His website has lots of videos of the design in action. I'm on the list begging for a used, scratch and dent, demo model, tire tracks are no problem...............can't wait...........................elsullo

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom