Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

anyone who has owned a Rem 700 CDL...

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by japcraplover89, Dec 26, 2012.

1. japcraplover89

japcraplover89 Orting, Washington Member

Is it worth the price? Sure is a comfy rifle. But is it worth the $800+?

2. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

with reasonable care it will last you a lifetime, to me that makes it worth the money.

3. japcraplover89

True, but that will go with most firearms. Im wondering if people who have owned id were happy with the performance and shooting ability after spending almost twice as much say on a standard rem 700.

4. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Price sounds a little on the high side to me, does it include a scope?

5. sheepdip

I bought a 700 sps a couple years ago, ditched the composite stock and topped it with a leupold v-x 2 3x9x40 scope. it is a real good looking rifle, shoots 1 inch groups when i do my part. took an elk with it in october. I have just over $1000 in it as it sits. I know that the laminated stock isnt for everybody but I like it.

6. japcraplover89

That is a very nice rifle, kudos to you Sheepdip. I myself am also a fan of laminated stocks on some guns, i like it. And no, right about $810 is MSRP for a CDL, without glass.

7. sheepdip

$800 is about what msrp was for my rifle, got it at sportsmans for $660

8. japcraplover89

Unfortunately all stores ive checked, sportsmans, wholesale sports, federal way discounters, and sportco are all sticking right about MSRP +/- a few bucks. The .270 is actually $805+ tax. Im going to check out cabelas today, not expecting much different however, since cabelas has always disappointed me with higher prices on firearms.

9. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

I believe I paid around $500 for a left hand model 700 SPS in 30-06 at Fishermans back two years ago. The rifle came with a scope.

After sliding down that hill over in Unit 46 this year I am darn happy that my rifle has the synthetic stock. Sorry, purdy and hunting don't always go together.

I guess prices have gone up a lot since I bought my rifle. But do watch for the sales that Fisherman's Marine will run before hunting season.

This buying panic may have changed the gun market like it did in 2008 when ammo doubled. I hope when things settle down we don't see another doubling of prices.

10. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

A very timely inquiry. As a 700 fan (I think there's seven or more here: if you count them, you have a problem), I have taken in two Rem700 .270's within the year to wring out, load for, mount scopes and accurize for close friends. The first was a plain Jane ADL Synthetic, currently in the hands of a fine young hunter in Montana. The second arrived here about a month ago, and it is indeed a CDL, picked out by a ranch foreman's wife who resides in Prineville. She looked at everything on the shelf, and this was her choice. Her taste is impeccable (at least toward her first rifle: what she's doing with my ne'er-do-well Cowboy buddy seriously challenges that assessment).

With ADL's, BDL's, Classics, etc., etc., etc. here, I must say I think Remington really hit the nail on the head with this CDL stock design. It has the straight comb of the Classic, but with a cheekpiece (but no Monte Carlo rise) like the BDL. The forearm is very trim: perhaps not as steady as a BDL on the sandbags, but a hunting rifle should see the sandbags once a year only. Gone are the Weatherby-inspired white lines of the BDL, and the checkering is very sharp, very deep, and better than most recent examples of machine-cut seen. Understated oil-appearing finish as opposed to the epoxy glare of yesteryear.

There has been some criticism lately of the new "pro-mark" trigger, but I have yet to see criticism that is analytical rather than emotional: some people just don't like change. Working with these new triggers, I find they reliably and easily adjust to about 2.8lbs. Perhaps the valid criticism is that a guy who knew his way around the old 700 trigger could actually get them down to less than 2lbs (carefully tested for full function and safety).

This CDL has yet to hit the bench, but I will expect it to do at least as well as the recent "Econo-Grade" ADL Synthetic of recent acquaintance. Out of the box, with garden-variety factory ammo, they usually produce 1.25-1.5" AVERAGE groups. Carefully assembled handloads nudge the average close to the one-inch mark. Glassing and Floating and trigger work almost without exception produce an honest MOA gun, and often much better (with some dependence upon caliber). These claims are real-world and documented AVERAGES. Beware the man who says his hunting rifle "shoots half-inch groups all day", or "continues to punch cloverleaf after cloverleaf". Somehow when invited to my range (heated cabin, benchrest tripod, earbags and hard bench), excuses seem to propagate more bountifully than such groups. Please note: in order for a gun to be "MOA", it must regularly produce a helluva lot of groups of LESS than one inch to achieve the coveted average.

If the gun appeals to you as it did this lady of taste (and as it does to me), then pay what you need to pay to get it. Life is too short for ugly guns. This one's a gem.