JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They got good reviews when they came out. Always wanted one but K Mart had the Marlin semi 995? in stock for $72.90, when I was in college. Used it for sage rats. Gave it to a girlfriend who I was teaching to shoot....unfortunately they both ...got away.:(

Brutus Out

My dad's best friend was an industrial hardware salesman in Portland. Remington at the time was selling other items in the 60-70's including chain saws. Could have bought one through him for around $45.00 but my dad said if I did I would have to sell my Winchester 1906. Kept the Winchester and years later ended up with a Remington chain saw that my dad had purchased through his friend at salesmen pricing. Still wish I had the gun but no way I was giving up my beloved Winchester 1906. Still have it today. The salesman friend of my dad bought one for himself, I got to shoot it a couple of times. After he passed away one of his nephews inherited it.

So I was left a nylon 66 rifle by my family member and besides the online info I was wondering if anyone on here owns or ever had a nylon 66. Mine is about flawless and is from the 60s. I've never shot it yet as I first thought it to be a collector type rifle. Figured I'd let y'all learn me bout this ol girl. It's the brown/white diamond model. Is it a keeper? Something somebody might want? Let's hear what yall have to say. Or even better let's compare pics. Mine won't load right now so gonna try again in the morning....
Yes it is a keeper. Very sought after today for it's light wait and tube fed feature. Very cheap in it's day now worth many times it's original purchase price, A no non sense .22 that is rugged and hard to find in good condition.

In the late 60's my G-pa got a Mohawk Brown. It was his jackrabbit gun. He lived in So Oregon, I was young and didn't quite get the jackrabbit thing. My dad and he would laugh about hunting them @ night. We moved down there for a while in the early 70's and I got to go out jackrabbit hunting one night (by then I'd figured it out). Dad drove, I was in the middle and G-pa sat in the passenger seat with the little Rem. The jackrabbits turned out to have horns and hooves. We lived out in the sticks w/a big extended family, we ate a lot of jackrabbits back then. That little Rem was a pretty good wabbit gun, kept a bunch of kids bellies full.

Here's mine:
20170110_165025_zpslewivc7g.jpg

Boy, google drive sure is annoying. I had to put this on photobucket to make it work.

Bought it with the scope already mounted, a Weaver B4. I've taped one of those tube loader thingies on the gun so it is a quick grab-and-run if necessary, heh. Got it from the old Gun Broker in Tigard.

I was crawdadding in a river north of Salem a few years ago and found a black one under the water! It currently resides at the Marion County evidence room,waiting for an owner to claim it.

My Hunter Safety handbook from the early 70s had what was basically a Remington catalog in the middle of it. The Hunter Safety handbook was newspaper like material, but the Remington catalog/ad was glossy print. I remember drooling over the Nylon 66s, especially that black and chrome one. (The ballistics tables of Remington ammo were pretty interesting, too) I didn't think there could be a cooler looking 22 on the planet. To this day I've never seen one in person, but I'd sure like to.

Let me be a voice of reality. The memories of a Nylon 66 are sometimes superior to their function.

They are a blast from our past, and everybody has fond memories. I've shot many of them, and some recently. Nice gun. Quite accurate for a cheap little plastic gun. But dependable? Not always. I have found them highly selective in what makes them work. So if a feller has one, and it's hit or miss on function, it would be wise to keep searching for the ammo that makes it work, every time.

I hate to be a name dropper, because as soon as I like or dislike anything, someone will profess that I'm all wet. But...What I've found, cheap unplated ammo like Thunderbolt, just has not worked. Neither has Remington Golden Bullets. But Mini Mags are definitely better. Is it slight velocity and recoil differences? Is it bullet shape? Who knows?

WAYNO.

My older brother, eldest in the family, had one as his .22* back in the day. He shot the hell out of that thing and then some. My vague recollections was it was fun little rifle.

* My father started us all with a Red Ryder BB gun and then we graduated to our own .22 when reaching early adolescence.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top