JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was left a nylon 66 rifle by my family member and besides the online info I was wondering if anyone on here owns or ever had a nylon 66. Mine is about flawless and is from the 60s. I've never shot it yet as I first thought it to be a collector type rifle. Figured I'd let y'all learn me bout this ol girl. It's the brown/white diamond model. Is it a keeper? Something somebody might want? Let's hear what yall have to say. Or even better let's compare pics. Mine won't load right now so gonna try again in the morning....

I've got one in Mohawk Brown. IIRC, the Seneca Green is pretty valuable.

No idea how many rounds have been through it but I get the feeling it's a lot. Still operates flawlessly. Very accurate for it's age. They're really neat guns, you should shoot it.

As for pictures, I'm flying in tonight so I can probably take a pic tomorrow.

Love mine, I have several. Supposedly a pain to work on, but none of mine have ever needed anything more than a cursory cleaning. I have found them to be very reliable and very accurate. The Mohawk brown such as yours are the most common and least valuable but still bring a couple hundred dollars in good shape. Keep it, shoot it, enjoy it!!

They are great little .22's! One of the best in my opinion also. After you take it apart a time or two they are quite easy. The barrel comes right out for easy cleaning. I have one that I have put probably 20,000 rounds thru, and it keeps on working great.

Something kind of interesting on the Remington Nylon 66, is the thin sheet metal receiver cover is actually the serialized part of the rifle. I've seen people selling them on ebay and not realize that is considered the receiver on firearm.

nylon.jpg

I had one once. Only to make money on it.

Not my flavor but some love them more than life itself.

WP_20160514_001.jpg

Picture time!

Top to bottom;
Mohawk Brown, Black Diamond, Seneca Green, Apache Black, Apache 77 and Model 12
The Seneca Green is really a brownish color.
The Apache 77 was a K-Mart exclusive with a much brighter green color, olive-colored metal, and a detachable mag.
The Model 12 is a bolt-action with a tubular magazine under the barrel instead of in the buttstock.

I would love to find a Trailrider lever-action version. It was Remington's only lever gun.

I wouldn't want to spoil you! Seriously though, you 've got me thinking about what to do with them eventually. I think it is a topic for another thread. Thank you!

Though they don't seem to bring the resale prices that they deserve, the Nylon 66's carry a lot of sentimental value for a lot of us older guys. For many, the Nylon 66 was the first rifle... and they are really reliable, shoot almost any ammo, and last just about forever.
I had one of the sierra green ones as a kid. Like an idiot, traded it in on some dang thing I didn't need. So it goes.
Anyway use and enjoy that one, I'd recommend you never sell it.

I remember seeing a lot of these as a kid.
It was one of the first non-wood stocked firearms to really catch on with the shooting crowd.
I wish I would have bought one years ago , they are getting harder to find around here and prices are climbing.
As others have stated , they last forever .... enjoy your rifle.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads