JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to start adding to my collection of firearms by getting a solid rifle safe. I've been looking into the cheaper end Stack-On 8 gun or speding a bit more for the "vault style" safes.

Found these guys in the local Seattle craiglist and was directed to their homepage. They have a Liberty Centurion 12 Rifle going for $400 + $100 for delivery.

Anyone have experience buying from these guys?

Anyone have some tips, advice, or opinions of specific safes I should look at?

Thanks guys!

I don't have any experience with nwsafe.com, but the Liberty safes, while not top tier safes, are certainly better than the stack on safes.

Just remember that most safes aren't really saying how many rifles they will hold, but how many "positions" they have. Instead of a true 12 gun safe, you are getting a 12 position safe. The realistic capacity of a 12 position safe is probably 6-8 long guns max unless you want to stack them in there like they're on a slave ship and get them all dinged up knocking into one another whenever you try to take one out.

I have a Liberty Centurion 12 safe that I purchased from Lowe's during the holidays. Each year it seems they go on sale after black Friday for $279.00, then tack on the postal coupon that takes off another 10 percent and you have a great priced entry level safe.

It's not very heavy for a safe, around 260 pounds. So it is fairly easy to maneuver with a dolly. If you have access to a truck and dolly you can save that $100 unless you are putting it upstairs and need the extra help.

The safe is not the best, but it will stop a stupid burglar who is more the grab and go type. I anchored mine down in a corner in the garage so they can only get to one side, but that side is still pretty venerable as the steel is pretty thin.

As far as the inside it is very nice! Carpeting is good, and lots of availability to change out the shelving. It does have some fire protection with like a 20 minute timer. I keep an Eva-Dry in mine and so far I've only plugged that in once as I wanted to make sure the thing was working as it had not turned pink. So it seems to be pretty tight as the moisture is not getting in there. But then again at the moment I'm in a dryer climate then WA.

I bought my Liberty Centurian Fatboy Jr. from them about a year and a half ago. I'm very satisfied with it. The crew that installed it in my house were great. They will get my business again when all these firearms reproduce to the point I need another. They have my recommendation!

A 260 pound long gun safe is not really a safe. It's UL rated as RSC - a residential security container, which will resist entry for no more than 5 minutes. Basically, a crackhead with a crowbar can open it in a couple of minutes if they know what they are doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

By comparison, my safe is UL rated TL15 and weighs nearly 800 lbs. You need power tools or a blowtorch to open a TL rated safe, and 15 minutes.

Guys...thanks for the great tips and advice. I think I'll take a trip down to Enumclaw and check those guys out. Maybe do a half-day at Crystal too!

Yea, I noticed that about the different safes out there saying "12 rifle" or "18 rifle" - but in reality, that number is more like cut in half.

I guess I have to do some more research on the type of safe I want to get into. A part of me has trouble spending $500+ on a safe. But then again, I guess it doesn't make sense to have a collection of fire-arms worth thousands of dollars being protected by a cheap safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top