JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A big one may be the Load Masters tendency to shake cases enough to spill powder on the shell plate, there a videos of people complaining and offering fixes for this.
Yes, an often posted gripe(spilled powder) for most all progressives even the big "D" versions.
Someone has posted a fix for the Hornady LNL AP over on the Emos forum, replacing the spring around the shell plate with and O-ring.
I just slow down the lever speed when the shell plate is indexing, it's less than a second, and works for me.
On my pro 1000, piggybacks(3), loadmaster.
:D
Edit: I'll confess to installing lighter index springs and nylon balls, not on the Loadmaster though, it doesn't have them. :s0131:

Okay, I'll bite. I have a Lee Classic Turret press. As I get deeper into reloading and "letting loose" on the range, I'd like to be able to produce more rounds of certain calibers quicker. I use a four-die setup for each of my calibers (generally).

What is the benefit of the Lee APP Press versus a Lee Load Master? I understand there are a lot of variable to consider, but I'm interested in a general top-level answer.

Now, I know there are the Lee detractors out there that are Dillon-ites, Lyman-ites, or Chucker-ites who are not supportive of Lee, but that's not what I'm interested in.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but if I can get a short answer or three, I'll resume my cyber-stalking of this thread and be silent....:p
The Lee Loadmaster is a progressive press. One round fully loaded for ever pull of the handle.
The APP is a single stage press with a case feeder. It does one operation at a time.

Yes, an often posted gripe(spilled powder) for most all progressives even the big "D" versions.
Someone has posted a fix for the Hornady LNL AP over on the Emos forum, replacing the spring around the shell plate with and O-ring.
I just slow down the lever speed when the shell plate is indexing, it's less than a second, and works for me.

I did the fix on my LnL where you use 1" id arbor shims to take out the slack in the shellplate, between that and making a small feed-in to the detent holes in the bottom plate, it doesn't shake powder out anymore. Very smooth operation, even running at a pretty good clip. Indexing works more consistently, too.:)

I did the fix on my LnL where you use 1" id arbor shims to take out the slack in the shellplate, between that and making a small feed-in to the detent holes in the bottom plate, it doesn't shake powder out anymore. Very smooth operation, even running at a pretty good clip. Indexing works more consistently, too.:)
Here's a link to the Eno's forum LNL/O-ring thread:

I'm pretty impressed so far with mine. I know the guy Vinnie mentioned as well and decided to try it. When it's running right you can decap cases very fast. I've also done some push through sizing and it worked great for that as well. For me doing 223 it seems like 4-5 cases is all you want on top of the slide for the spring to work best. Does anyone lube the plastic slide on the case feed? Plus getting this operation away from my Dillon allows that to stay set up for size/trimming. For the price I'm already thinking of getting another one.

F8B1C727-4091-40F7-9318-04A9D8506150.jpeg

I'm pretty impressed so far with mine. I know the guy Vinnie mentioned as well and decided to try it. When it's running right you can decap cases very fast. I've also done some push through sizing and it worked great for that as well. For me doing 223 it seems like 4-5 cases is all you want on top of the slide for the spring to work best. Does anyone lube the plastic slide on the case feed? Plus getting this operation away from my Dillon allows that to stay set up for size/trimming. For the price I'm already thinking of getting another one.

View attachment 681407

Good info, I've only done pistol brass so far, but I got it with the intent of swaging a bucket full of .223 brass. Yes, I do lube mine, just an occasional wipe down with a silicone cloth seems to be sufficient. Kind of an amazing little machine for the price, I cranked out over 150 9mm's in less than an hour tonight. Full disclosure, that was just charging, seating, and crimping, brass was already prepped and primed. Still, it beats the hell out of my Rock Chucker :cool:! Later.

Dave

A big one may be the Load Masters tendency to shake cases enough to spill powder on the shell plate, there a videos of people complaining and offering fixes for this.
that's interesting. I haven't spilled any powder. You'd think if it was as bad as described, I'd have had a few nasty messes on the last loading batch. Nope. :)
I wonder how many don't have a secure bench?

I keep my press lubed and proper forward stroke to rotate the carrier is important. So is making sure everything is broken in well.

Just updating a bit, now that I have a lot more rounds through the APP. Overall impression, is it's totally worth the low price. I use it for bulge busting .45ACP, decapping stuff sometimes before tumbling cases, and sizing bullets after coating with Hi-Tek. The swager works well, too, but I've taken to just chucking the 9mm cases that have a crimp. If I ever get around to loading 5.56, it will probably come in handy. Some things that I have found help make it run better:
1. spray some lemon Pledge on the workbench, and use a q-tip to apply it to the sliding surfaces on the press, including the top of the slide where the brass rests before it drops.
2. wash your brass first, ideally. less grit = smoother operation with less stopping. That being said, as long as it isn't TOO muddy, it will probably work, anyway.
3. If you are working with 9mm, you can cut the "lips" off the bottom of the feed tube, and it will work MUCH better, no tipping over of the cases. I think those are more intended for rifle cases, so if you need that feature, you might buy another automation kit for the parts. If anyone wants pics, let me know.
4. get the universal casefeeder setup, it's cheap, and about as fast as a motorized one, with about the same number of upside down cases.

For decapping a bunch of pistol brass, this thing flat flies with a Mighty "shorty" decapper.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top