JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just saw info about a Lee press that's mostly intended for sizing and swaging brass, and sizing bullets ( including poly coated!) and it looks really useful for $110 new.
I was just wondering if anyone here has one, yet, and what they think about it? I'm planning to start casting and powder coating my own bullets for USPSA and Speed Steel,
mostly 9mm stuff, so I'll need to be able to size them, and I'd like a good easy way to swage primer pockets.

Thoughts?

APP Automatic Processing Press - Lee Precision

I have one, originally bought it for swaging crimped primer .223 brass, but it's become my favorite for loading pistol ammo. That did require adding the Lee Universal Case Feeder and Collator, but it's tripled my production rate vs. my Rock Chucker, enough so that it's worth reloading 9mm. Yeah, a Dillon or other progressive would be faster, but for what and how I load, this is a better option for me. Considering the price, it's hard to go wrong. Looks like Vinnie is right, current price for the deluxe kit is around $75, guess this is one of those cases where being an early adopter didn't pay off :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

First I've heard of it and it looks interesting. I just watched a couple of Youtube videos showing it in operation. Here comes another set of special Lee shell holders, though. I'm trying to limit the number of new gadgets being bought, will try to resist. The automatic case sizing feature is tempting.

I have one, I also started the "Lee APP Fan Group" on Face Book to explore its possibilities.
It seems to fit in as an "odd job" press.
You certainly can use it as a single stage machine.
The feed mechanism will speed things along, once you get it tuned to the task.
I've used mine as a bulge buster, bullet sizer for pan lubing, decapper, and primer pocket swager. That last task is still in need of adjustment for 9mm.

This machine was just released in late January so we will have to see what it does best.
Come join us, if you like.

David Sherman

What all comes in the deluxe kit? The picture on Lee's site shows what looks like black metal legs, which aren't present on the one I saw on closeout at Midwest for 54.95. Who has a good deal on the deluxe kit, and the swaging dies?
I already have a decent progressive, just looking for ( like David Sherman said) an "odd job machine". Tried an RCBS benchmount swager I got used on Amazon for $70, but I don't much like it... was supposed to be in useable condition, came with a busted swage head pin. I temp fixed it to try it, with another hard steel pin, but not super impressed. Thinking that's going back, and I'll put the money towards an APP.

Last Edited:
the case feeder is just a tube, and the mechanicals to cycle brass or bullets through the machine? I mean, I read the blurb Lee wrote, but the ones I'm seeing online don't seem to identify whether it's the deluxe version or not.

( wonder if you can put one of those motorized case feeders with a big bowl on top on there?)

The deluxe version includes a single tube bullet/case feeder and the automation parts, which is the shuttle and jaws that grab the cases. At least, that's what the setup was when I ordered mine in January. It didn't take me long at all to realize the single tube feeder was a major bottle neck, so I ordered Lee's Universal case feeder and Collator (don't understand why these are sold as separate pieces), which has 4 tubes. Major increase in productivity, I can load all 4 tubes in about the same amount of time it took to load the single tube one case at a time. Even with the case feeder, you're still only looking at about $100, I got mine from Titan Reloading. I've never seen one of the motorized feeders in person, so I don't know if it would work or not, but I suspect something could be McGivered :).

I'm using mine as an automated single stage press. Still only doing one operation at a time, but I can run a PILE of brass through each operation quickly, then switch to the next. Have even figured out a technique for seating and crimping bullets, I still have to load each one by hand, but I don't have to unload it, so it goes way quicker than my Rock Chucker. If I didn't crimp as a separate operation, it would go even faster, I can prep about 500 cases an hour up to being ready for primers, then I prime by hand while watching TV in the evening. Adding powder, bullets, then crimping is about 300 rounds per hour, and if I seated and crimped in one operation, that would probably go up to 400-500 RPH. All of which equates to a start to finish production rate (less priming) of 250-300 rounds per hour. Obviously not on par with a true progressive, but if you're someone that gets frequently distracted or pulled off projects, the likelihood of a loading error goes way down, which I like. And then there's always the price issue. My only question to date is durability, there's a lot of plastic, although it seems to be pretty durable so far. It takes a little tweaking now and again, mostly just a quick wipe down with a silicone cloth, but once it's set up, it's a workhorse. As to the special shell holders, I just keep the proper one in the box with the dies for whatever I'm loading. Of course, that's pretty easy, I'm only using it to load 9mm and .45 ACP. Would be more complicated if I loaded multiple cartridges that used the same shell holder. All in all, I'm liking it a lot. Any other questions, let me know. Later.

Dave

What all comes in the deluxe kit? The picture on Lee's site shows what looks like black metal legs, which aren't present on the one I saw on closeout at Midwest for 54.95. Who has a good deal on the deluxe kit, and the swaging dies?
I already have a decent progressive, just looking for ( like David Sherman said) an "odd job machine". Tried an RCBS benchmount swager I got used on Amazon for $70, but I don't much like it... was supposed to be in useable condition, came with a busted swage head pin. I temp fixed it to try it, with another hard steel pin, but not super impressed. Thinking that's going back, and I'll put the money towards an APP.
Those black metal legs is a press stand sold by Lee and is NOT included in the deluxe kit.
Read the text here, to see what's included in the Lee Deluxe APP Kit:
:D

Thanks for all the info! After the morning's range time, I set to reloading .380. That APP would have come in handy; I had separated the brass by headstamps for testing, so I figured I'd keep the major ones separated to load. ( lucked into a big trove of Starline, woot!) After loading the previously sized and flared Starline, I switched to the next lot, also sized and flared, and found the flare needed to be increased, the bullets were falling off. Not a huge big deal, but I had to pull all the powder/check/bullet drop/seat/crimp dies out, and stick the flaring one back in, and re-run the rest of the brass. Could have used that second press...

Will definitely check out Titan Reloading.

I initially had all my dies set up with LNL bushings, I long since converted my Rock Chucker. Of course, I had to change them to the Lee version, which I like better in some ways, but now I have a pile of LNL bushings I don't need. Always something, isn't it :rolleyes:? But yes, for the type of situation you mentioned, this would be perfect, assuming you had either an extra die, or had dedicated it's use to the APP. I currently have both the Lee and my RC on my bench, I have the Inline Fab quick change setup, just haven't installed it yet. But the APP with the case feeder tube removed really isn't in the way, having both on the bench at the same time isn't a problem, although I should pull the RC, I'm not using it right now, and don't expect to any time soon. BTW, you actually load .380 :eek:?! Later.

Dave

Okay, I'll bite. I have a Lee Classic Turret press. As I get deeper into reloading and "letting loose" on the range, I'd like to be able to produce more rounds of certain calibers quicker. I use a four-die setup for each of my calibers (generally).

What is the benefit of the Lee APP Press versus a Lee Load Master? I understand there are a lot of variable to consider, but I'm interested in a general top-level answer.

Now, I know there are the Lee detractors out there that are Dillon-ites, Lyman-ites, or Chucker-ites who are not supportive of Lee, but that's not what I'm interested in.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but if I can get a short answer or three, I'll resume my cyber-stalking of this thread and be silent....:p

What is the benefit of the Lee APP Press versus a Lee Load Master? I understand there are a lot of variable to consider, but I'm interested in a general top-level answer.

Less shell plates, turret heads needed etc. Simplicity really. You could use the same press and convert from doing mass 9mm to mass 40 and over to 45 really quick.

Easier for new people to get into the game cheap.

It's a "Processing" press, not a reloading press. I bet this will go through 9mm faster than the loadmaster on a deprime/size stage.

Okay, I'll bite. I have a Lee Classic Turret press. As I get deeper into reloading and "letting loose" on the range, I'd like to be able to produce more rounds of certain calibers quicker. I use a four-die setup for each of my calibers (generally).

Now, I know there are the Lee detractors out there that are Dillon-ites, Lyman-ites, or Chucker-ites who are not supportive of Lee, but that's not what I'm interested in.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but if I can get a short answer or three, I'll resume my cyber-stalking of this thread and be silent....:p
You might find your answer in this thread or my post here:
If you have seen that thread, never mind,
:D
Edit: I reread your post and determined your choice was between the Loadmaster and Lee APP.
The Lee APP was designed as an Automatic Processing Press (APP), not a reloading press, although it can be used as a single stage reloading press.:s0092:

Last Edited:
BTW, you actually load .380 :eek:?! Later.

Yeah, .380 is one of those calibers that doesn't sell as much, so I guess you're paying extra "shelf rental" at the store. Stuff costs about as much as .45ACP! So, it costs me about half as much to reload it, since the light projectiles are relatively inexpensive. My shooting partner has a Bersa in .380, and is looking at a pcc in the same caliber, so I'm kinda stuck dealing with it.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Lee APP with a bullet sizing setup for .356, and the swaging stuff. May be a while til the backorders get caught up, though. Gonna need a 2nd workbench... :eek:

A big one may be the Load Masters tendency to shake cases enough to spill powder on the shell plate, there a videos of people complaining and offering fixes for this.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top