JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow - 5 pages!

I don't use ATF for lubing guns - but I have used it as a great way to clean some horribly neglected guns before.

My step father inherited a 1920's manufactured Colt 1911 from his father, who had inherited said gun from HIS father, whom it was originally issued to. The gun was kept loaded and holstered in it's original leather holster for most of it's life, taken out and shot once in a while, but then it lived locked away in a drawer, in the holster, uncleaned for damn near a decade when my step dad got the gun. He is a gun owner, but not a "gun nut" and had no idea how to field strip (let alone detail strip) a 1911.

I got the gun apart (with a little help from a rubber mallet to tap out the slide stop - whatever "lube" had been used had long since turned to a gummy glue-like substance) and gave every part a soak for two days in pure ATF fluid. The gummy crap came off very easy and I was left with a pile of beautiful, old 1911 parts that got put back together into a functional gun, rather than a paper weight.

Used Mobil 1 to lube the thing when it was put back together.

I use a variety of lubes depending on which gun it is, and how it's being used. My ARs get lubed with motor oil or rem oil, my pistols get Tetra grease on the slide rails and barrel hood. Bolt guns get very little lube - and usually it's a light spray of rem oil.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top