JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Although its nice to know I could sub another type of oil if I had to (perhaps some kind of survival situation) I just don't see the point for normal use. Some very smart people with degrees in chemistry and engineering have been developing and selling specific gun oils and cleaners for eons now... why not use them?

There are many examples across various industries where the same item is labeled differently and sold for a much higher profit.
About 15 years ago there was a "scandal" in the contact lens industry. It came to light that those high price extended wear contact lenses were exactly the same as the daily wear. Additionally two of the lens care solutions were the same, yet one came in a small bottle that cost more than another which came in a rather big bottle (same manufacturer). I don't remember what these solutions were anymore, as I don't wear contact lenses, but my girlfriend did and so I remember the story. You could even pickup the two bottles and read the ingredients (they were identical, including percentages)

There are many examples across various industries where the same item is labeled differently and sold for a much higher profit.
About 15 years ago there was a "scandal" in the contact lens industry. It came to light that those high price extended wear contact lenses were exactly the same as the daily wear. Additionally two of the lens care solutions were the same, yet one came in a small bottle that cost more than another which came in a rather big bottle (same manufacturer). I don't remember what these solutions were anymore, as I don't wear contact lenses, but my girlfriend did and so I remember the story. You could even pickup the two bottles and read the ingredients (they were identical, including percentages)

Yeah, I hear ya. With marketing being what it is its hard to know for sure you are getting real value.

This thread is proof that any "what kind of oil should I use?" thread in any forum is bound to go at least four pages or more. I am surprised we haven't gotten into the dino versus synthetic debate yet! :s0114:

I use "Royal Purple" when I want to use an automotive oil for a gun lube - it's a full synthetic that's even better than Mobil 1. And like folks say, a single $7.50 quart of it lasts forever.

ATF is not made for a hot, dirty environment, nor is my gun in need of high levels of detergent. The coking temperature of a full-synthetic oil is the highest your money can buy, unless you go to a solid lube like moly disulfide. Temp extremes and blowby are the enemies, which engine oil is designed to withstand, unlike ATF.

If you clean your guns obsessively and like to run them wet, then go ahead and use WD-40 if you want to. If you run a neglected Glock bone dry like I do, then the durability of that tiny bit of persistent lubrication is a very big deal. In cooler areas like the slide rails I might go for white lithium grease, but in the hot zone I want the highest coking point I can get.

I use ATF in my nail guns it works great I have been doing it for years. A bottle of tool oil is to expensive and just gets to thick in the winter in Oregon. I rely on them to make a living so I would have stopped right away if I noticed any adverse effects.

I used ATF in all my pneumatic tools as a mechanic and machinest. It's a common practice in the automotive repair industry. I won't use it on guns because it will stain anything it touches red.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top