JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at refinishing a a very well aged shotgun. Since I want this gun for hunting I have decided to go with a Duracoat finish. I already have both airbrushes and detail guns and a bunch of experiance with them so thats a no brainer. I have worked with a number of two part paints in my Flying Model Airplanes hobby.

What I don't know about is this product. Has anyone worked with the Duracoat filler material to smooth rust divits etc. Is it similar to a sandable auto primer? In that you spray a couple thin coats on to build up some thickness then sand it back to the bare metal height? leaving it only in the low spots? or is it something different?

I already have a sand blast cabinet I can use either glass beads or silica sand in. So that step is covered. Of course I can't sand blast after the filler coat.

Will it hold up to a chemical degreasing?

And last question... With 7 different BLACKS hows is a guy supposed to chose???:huh:

I have done some filling but just used the hardener for the paint since I had some extra. I have a Papoose that someone did a number on the side. Looks like the tried to gouge the side of the receiver out for a scope ring to fit on. I put a few drops of the hardener in, let it dry, sanded then painted. Worked well for me. Used it on a couple other small spots with good luck.

I personally like and have used the HK black. It is not so flat it is flat yet not glossy either. I think it comes out a nice color. The magazine shows it real well in the pic.

DSC06723.jpg

thanks. I don't have the shotgun in hand that I'll be doing but looking at photos it appears to have rust dimples on most of the barrel and smaller ones on the receiver so I figure it will be a complete body and fender job.

After 14 years as a Custom Knifemaker I'm pretty good at sanding stuff LOL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top