JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FOund out the trick to tumbling media. Walnut shells are the media for parrot or bird scratch. You can get a 20 lb bag at your nearest country store for almost nothing, or you can buy it as "media" at a gun store. Try it, same stuff different packaging.

the 20/40 tumbling media is a semi-fine, it's all I use for tumbling, I buy all mine from a local vendor for about $16/bag, if you want something more coarse, you can get 12/20. I prefer the 20/40 as it tends not to plug the flash holes the way the thicker stuff does. If you want a deeper cleaning, use walnut media, if you want a better more shiny finish on the cases use corncob.

If you want a deeper cleaning, use walnut media, if you want a better more shiny finish on the cases use corncob.

And if you want a nice clean case, including clean inside and primer pockets, try the Stainless Steel Pin media. No dust, no replacement cost (it doesn't wear out), and the cases look like they just came from the factory.

It's a wet process and only works in a tumbler, not a vibrator but the results are fantastic. Even makes old military brass look like nice shiny commercial brass. Letting the cases dry overnight is worth the wait and no more primer pocket cleaning necessary.

And if you want a nice clean case, including clean inside and primer pockets, try the Stainless Steel Pin media. No dust, no replacement cost (it doesn't wear out), and the cases look like they just came from the factory.

It's a wet process and only works in a tumbler, not a vibrator but the results are fantastic. Even makes old military brass look like nice shiny commercial brass. Letting the cases dry overnight is worth the wait and no more primer pocket cleaning necessary.

Yea, I started using something called "jewelry mix" which is a mix of pins, kinda've a saturn shape, and balls all stainless, they use it for polishing jewelry oddly enough. It's kinda've a hassle to deal with, but gives me the same effect as the pin media. Problem I have is I want to do bigger lots, with faster cycle times which is part of the reason I do a wash->dry->walnut->corncob process, yea it doesn't remove all the junk inside the case or the pocket, but it removes most of the blems on the outside of the case, but it makes the outsides nice and purrdy. I think at some point, I should try buying another 30lbs of JM and throw it in a cement mixer with some scrap .223 brass to see how it turns out.

Oh yea, jewelry mix is a wet-process also. I usually add a little bit of vinegar and dawn detergent.

I should try buying another 30lbs of JM and throw it in a cement mixer with some scrap .223 brass to see how it turns out.

Oh yea, jewelry mix is a wet-process also. I usually add a little bit of vinegar and dawn detergent.

Go ahead and use the "good brass". You'll like the results. Also, rather than vinegar, try the "Lemi-Shine" that's sold at Wal-mart. $3 worth of that does a great job with brightness and shine as well as lasting a long time. Takes 1/4 tsp for a gallon of water.

I run large batches at a time so I always have nice shiny, dry brass, for when I decide to run another batch of ammo. The key to the wet processes is to think ahead. Not necessarily good for those who want to put 20 rounds in the "vibrator" and have it finished, loaded, by 2 PM.

I process brass by the drum, so speed is an important part of this, I usually run cement mixers for polishing which was the deal breaker for the stainless steel media that company sells, $50 for 5lbs is just a bit much.

I'll give the lemi-shine a try and see how it works.

I process brass by the drum, so speed is an important part of this, I usually run cement mixers for polishing which was the deal breaker for the stainless steel media that company sells, $50 for 5lbs is just a bit much.

I'll give the lemi-shine a try and see how it works.

Have you tried this company Stainless, Zinc, Aluminum and Copper Cut Wire Shot - Pellets, LLC?

They sell larger quantities for a lot less. Instead of $10/lb, I've heard of prices in the $3/lb range. It takes about 2.5 lbs per pound of brass and gallon of water so with larger quantities this Co. may have what you need. They handle other media as well.

I only use 20/40 corn grit for tumbling. I always deprime while I inspect and sort prior to cleaning brass. The 20/40 is just right. It doesn't pack in the primer pocket or get into the flash hole.
However, since my brass is NOT sized, any grit that was so trapped would be knocked out during the sizing step.
If you want like-new shiny brass, you can go wild, but 30 minutes in 20/40 corn is more than sufficient for any brass that is not corroded (and if it is, I toss it).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top