JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a fair bit of moss on my lawn that I want to deal with, was originally going to seed that area last Fall but I ran out of time and with the rain in winter, the area is now covered in moss. I'm going to try and remove the moss before seeding the area this Spring, I want to check with you guys does anyone here use soluble Ferrous Sulfate for killing moss instead of using Moss Out?

The Ferrous Sulfate is very cheap and I can also use it as iron supplement for my lawn. The bag does show me the application rate for using on lawn but I want to check if there's another rate for using to kill moss? The Ferrous Sulfate I'm looking at is a 30% type that is water soluble. Thanks.

Last Edited:
Vinegar works for me. You can buy it in different concentrations on Amazon, but simple white vinegar from Costco at 5% concentration has killed moss (turned it brown) growing on asphalt. I bought some 45% concentration and I am going to use that to double the concentration of what I use to spray.

Now bear in mind, the moss on my driveway is just thin stuff, not the thick stuff you find in lawns and I think it works better if you spray it when it is dry.

I have a fair bit of moss on my lawn that I want to deal with, was originally going to seed that area last Fall but I ran out of time and with the rain in winter, the area is now covered in moss. I'm going to try and remove the moss before seeding the area this Spring, I want to check with you guys does anyone here use soluble Ferrous Sulfate for killing moss instead of using Moss Out?

The Ferrous Sulfate is very cheap and I can also use it as iron supplement for my lawn. The bag does show me the application rate for using on lawn but I want to check if there's another rate for using to kill moss? The Ferrous Sulfate I'm looking at is a 30% type that is water soluble. Thanks.
works great, have used it for year. Rememebr to keep it offsrfaces or it will leave a rust mark

I decided to finally let the moss win and boy was that a great decision. Stays green year round and no need to mow. As an added bonus the dog poops sit on top and are easy to find. But to each his own. Good luck!

Moss growing in a lawn tells you that the pH of the soil is too acidic. Apply lime at 40# per 1000 sq ft per year. You may want to test your soil's pH. This may not kill the moss immediately, but it will in the long run, and you'll get healthier grass as well.

I decided to finally let the moss win and boy was that a great decision. Stays green year round and no need to mow. As an added bonus the dog poops sit on top and are easy to find. But to each his own. Good luck!
I finally did that after fighting haarrd for years.
I lived against the base of the sheer wall of the west hills with only morning sun. In the summer. When it wasn't raining.
Moss is pretty cool anyway.

Moss growing in a lawn tells you that the pH of the soil is too acidic. Apply lime at 40# per 1000 sq ft per year. You may want to test your soil's pH. This may not kill the moss immediately, but it will in the long run, and you'll get healthier grass as well.

Or the grass is in a shady spot.

I have moss everywhere - on the roof, porch, driveway, the private road, my vehicles, you name it, moss or mold is there. One of the downsides of living in a forest on the north side of a mountain with double the rain.

Thanks I'll look into doing a soil test. This part of my backyard though, is only temporary. I have a large scale landscaping project in the plan that will see most of the lawn replaced with pavers and a pool put in too. That'll be a little later though as I need to do a few other things first so for now I just want to make the grass look decent.

I used to think that, but it's only a tiny part of it. The question? Ever seen moss growing on concrete?

I used to think that, but it's only a tiny part of it. The question? Ever seen moss growing on concrete?

Yes, yes I have. Anywhere there is a surface rough enough to collect dirt, moss can grow if it is in the shade and there is moisture. If the surface is biological, then even more moss will grow on it.

I was just looking at my porch which I sprayed with vinegar about ten days ago and the moss is starting to turn from green to yellow. I need to wait until there is not so much rain - a week or two of relatively dry weather - and spray again. The nice thing about vinegar is that it is relatively cheap - about $2.50 per gallon of 5% concentration.

Yes, yes I have. Anywhere there is a surface rough enough to collect dirt, moss can grow if it is in the shade and there is moisture. If the surface is biological, then even more moss will grow on it.

I was just looking at my porch which I sprayed with vinegar about ten days ago and the moss is starting to turn from green to yellow. I need to wait until there is not so much rain - a week or two of relatively dry weather - and spray again. The nice thing about vinegar is that it is relatively cheap - about $2.50 per gallon of 5% concentration.

I've wondered if bleach would do it. Diluted of course. A couple tablespoons/1/4 cup/gal . I clean my coolers after I've had stinky (fish ,oysters, crab) in them. i usually just spill it out in the drive way where it runs to the road. Rather than going to the extra of spreading it around on the moss ON the driveway.

I've wondered if bleach would do it. Diluted of course. A couple tablespoons/1/4 cup/gal . I clean my coolers after I've had stinky (fish ,oysters, crab) in them. i usually just spill it out in the drive way where it runs to the road. Rather than going to the extra of spreading it around on the moss ON the driveway.

Bleach will kill mold, but then it can come back. I would guess it will kill moss, and it is less expensive ($1/gallon) than vinegar, but I am not sure what concentration is needed - if I were to try it, I would try it at the full concentration? I am not sure I want to put bleach in my battery powered sprayer though - bleach is rather caustic on metal and some plastics IME.

Bleach will kill mold, but then it can come back. I would guess it will kill moss, and it is less expensive ($1/gallon) than vinegar, but I am not sure what concentration is needed - if I were to try it, I would try it at the full concentration? I am not sure I want to put bleach in my battery powered sprayer though - bleach is rather caustic on metal and some plastics IME.

$1.00/gallon? Maybe the stuff that's WAY diluted. I even doubt that. No, no straight bleach. That would kill it for sure. And who knows what it would do to concrete, or in my case asphalt.

$1.00/gallon? Maybe the stuff that's WAY diluted. I even doubt that. No, no straight bleach. That would kill it for sure. And who knows what it would do to concrete, or in my case asphalt.

I could be wrong, but IIRC, I have bought bleach at Winco for $1/gallon? Or maybe that was water?

It is the same concentration (2.75%) as other brands. Bleach is bleach.

*shrug*

I could be wrong, but IIRC, I have bought bleach at Winco for $1/gallon? Or maybe that was water?

It is the same concentration (2.75%) as other brands. Bleach is bleach.

*shrug*

I bought bleach at the dollar Store, for a dollar! It was a quart and it barely smelled like bleach. I think I mixed it 50/50 with water. It was barely acceptable for the job. I keep the stuff in a spray bottle under the kitchen sink mixed w/water and a couple drops of dishwashing liquid. Use it on the dishrag, counter and scrubber sponge.

Iron kills moss.

Moss grows in poor soil where others cannot.
get any fertilizer with iron added.

Iron kills moss.

Moss grows in poor soil where others cannot.
get any fertilizer with iron added.

This is true. Moss turns black and stops growing. The iron makes you lawn a beautiful dark green, which is emphasized by the black moss. Without changing the other things that make moss do so well in your lawn you, will have the moss back, just the same, a year from treatment. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Moss treatment is cheap enough to do every year. And a lot of the time easier to do than eliminate what makes your lawn moss friendly.

This is true. Moss turns black and stops growing. The iron makes you lawn a beautiful dark green, which is emphasized by the black moss. Without changing the other things that make moss do so well in your lawn you, will have the moss back, just the same, a year from treatment. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Moss treatment is cheap enough to do every year. And a lot of the time easier to do than eliminate what makes your lawn moss friendly.
Yes. 100%.
You can build up better turf or just treat every spring.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top