Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone use a propane tent heater?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stick, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Stick

Stick Eugene Member

Thinking about getting one but I'm just a little concerned with turning it on and going to sleep. I'd like to wake up in the morning and wasn't sure if these are safe to run while your asleep.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366397725.501518.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366397725.501518.jpg

2. 01rednavigator

01rednavigator salem Active Member

I would be to freaked out to use it, just get an extra blanket.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

My wife uses the little Mr. Buddy on her tent excursions. Loves it and it does a great job. Only problem is it will suck down one of the little bottles in a hurry so I got her an adapter for a 5 gallon tank.

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I assume you are talking about a small tent. Would freak me out too much. Even if tip safe I would worry about knocking it over. There are still lots of hot parts and stuff that can get damaged. I have used a lot of the bigger heaters but they have been in big tents.

I have spent many nights out in cold weather, even below freezing. I know this varies by person but I sleep well when cold, getting out of the covers is the hard part. So it might be an idea to sleep bundled up and have this set up ready to light up in the morning. I know even in my enclosed trailer I have the temp set very low but program it to come on and start warming up shortly before I have to get up.

5. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

The Mr Heaters work good, and yes you still wake up the next morning.

On that note, sleeping bags are for warmth, the heater is for getting in and out of sleeping bags.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  6. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

My mom uses one just like you pictured. She turns it on a little before she goes to sleep and then turns it off right before. It seems to work.

7. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

+1 on the Little Buddies. Used it in our camper. Turns itself off if it tips :)

8. Stick

Stick Eugene Member

That's most likely how I would use it but doesn't mean I won't want to leave it on at some point.
    I'm not worried about knocking it over, my tent is plenty big.

9. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

They are safe...and tents have so much ventilation, even if there was a CO or CO2 problem, you would have enough air coming in so you wouldn't even get a headache.

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Catalytic heaters put out CO2, but you don't start to get "giddy" until about 150k/ppm whereas CO @ 45/ppm will prompt the firefighters to don the self-contained apparatus (SCUBA) before they go into a contaminated area.

11. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

I have used a heater in a 9x14 tent worked fine. I did leave the windows down a little bit to get a cross draft.

12. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

SCUBA stands for self contained underwater breathing apparatus, your thinking of SCBA:D

Yes my son and I have use the mr heater brand. 100% safe. Boy Scout winter camp trips can get cold.

13. Bacchus

Bacchus The Republic Active Member

My Buddy will shut itself off it the oxygen content in the air gets too low.

Bring a carbon monoxide detector along if you have doubts.

14. Stick

Stick Eugene Member

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to look at the mr buddy heater also.

15. parallax

parallax eugene, or-gun Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

hopefully not detouring this thread, but i use a sherperds stove( very small wood stove). and you can heat water or cook on it. runs the pipe up thru the roof, even has a spark arrestor.. everything fits inside stove for travel. its about 12" by 12". always have fuel laying around( unless its no burn ban).
    just my 2 cents.

16. nwbobber

nwbobber Longview, Wa. Active Member

I have both the wood stove and a mr. heater. I have used the propane heater, left on all night an some cold nights. There is a 6" triangle open on both ends of ny tent for the ridge pole for ventilation, we had no ill effects at all. I knew a guy who used one in his camper, he did not live. They do use up oxygen.