JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a little real world experience with BO and deer.

#1 - shot placement.

#2- be sure bullet will expand at the impact velocity.

CA222604-D0CB-4ADF-B0C1-D7CB91654F51.jpeg

If you want to use .300BO for hunting you need to ENSURE that you are using a projectile that WILL expand at the velocities.

Story to back this up:
I harvested a deer with .300BO using the wrong spire point round. Penetrated chest at a front angle, traveled through body and exited rear ham. There was NO expansion and no bloodshot meat. Clean through and through lengthwise on the animal. Turns out this bullet needed to be 2200-2800fps to properly expand. My rounds were at muzzle around 1800fps and at 100y they were estimated to be around 1500fps. Way below expansion point.

To my benefit, the animal ran 30y and dropped due to a direct lung puncture and not hitting any lower abdominal cavity guts. Chest cavity only and pink foam by the time I approached. I got lucky.

If I ever do it again, I'll hunt close and use subs for a clean shot that are designed to open up at those velocities.

Had the same problem with my .458 SoCom and 350gr RN bullets. At 1500 fps the ones that missed bones went right on through a bison, like armor piercing.
Two that hit shoulder bones bent, and pealed back the jacket.
Wrong bullet at the wrong speed. Bison Bullets.jpg

I just dont see the point of a 300 blackout :confused:

I totally agree. For hunting with a small frame AR rifle I think the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC are far better choices. You limit yourself with a .300 blackout. Although if you have ninja skills and sneak up close it enough to slap a deer on the butt then do it.

Ive never shot the 300 bk but if I'm reading the charts right it drops about 30 inches at 200 yards? If by chance I take an AR up for deer this year, I think I'll stick with the 375 socom. Not a bad brush gun.

I use Barnes Vor-TX ammo in the 110gr. Shoots amazing of all the factory stuff I've tried to date. I only wanted supersonic performance. If you're not shooting a MSR, there are better cartridge options. I personally limit myself to 150yds with the round.
If I were to do it again on a MSR platform in .30cal, I would do the 300HAMR. I do really like the 277 WLV.

20 yards to the boiler room. Game over.

This little guy succumbed to the .300 WM at 216 yards last year. Little far for the BO!

View attachment 617649
Ive never shot the 300 bk but if I'm reading the charts right it drops about 30 inches at 200 yards? If by chance I take an AR up for deer this year, I think I'll stick with the 375 socom. Not a bad brush gun.

Barnes Bullets 110 TAC-TX
BC = .289
mV = 2,300fps
Term Threshold = 1,400fps
MAX = 350yds

Barnes Bullets 120 TAC-TX
BC = .358
mV = 2,100fps
Term Threshold = 1,400fps
MAX = 350yds

110 vmax factory load
TEST BARREL (16")
good out to 300 yards
with a 200 yard zero +3" at 100 and -13 at 300

110 vmax factory load
TEST BARREL (16")
good out to 300 yards
with a 200 yard zero +3" at 100 and -13 at 300

Thats jackin the poor little guy up a bit.:D:D:D I get that it will work, I just dont see going out of your way to use it.. Had a buddy go on a hog hunt and took his "hog gun" 300 bk. He left his perfectly good 270 at home.:confused:

Why do people use bow and arrow to harvest game? Different strokes for different folks. The 300blk has limitations just like any other chambering or weapon, stay within these limitations and you will be fine.

Since I also have a bolt in .300BLK, I should see how fast I can get those little suckers moving.

See if I can get it up to 300WM speeds. That'll teach everyone if I live to see the results.

It also has advantages, such as in the AR platform where a barrel change is all that's required to shoot .300 blk. Even the same magazine can be used (5.56).

And yes, it does have its limitations, but so does anything else. I've left the house plenty of times with a "perfectly good" rifle/caliber sitting in the safe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top