JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 703193

And how to use. POTS
I still recall the first phone number I learned, but not the area code, cause we only dialed 7 digits. ( 5 in college but that was Klamath Falls)
Long distance could be hourly wage per minute, you didn't call long distance often.

View attachment 703194

Ash Trays - were ubiquitous.

View attachment 703195

The NIIN system had a standard - you had to drop the sample on to maple from a certain height and have it break into x number of pieces or less. NIIN is the military number system for supply - probably all of the GSA used some of it.

View attachment 703196

View attachment 703197

View attachment 703198

View attachment 703199
Expensive long distance- yup- we only used long distance to inform of a relative's death, or serious hospitalisation, and usually didnt talk long.. People actually wrote and READ somewhat lengthy letters in those old days... Our extended-family was part of the post-ww2 farm-family diaspora.. had family around Michigan and around the country and the folks did try to stay in touch, as much for the kids, I think, as for themselves. BIG FUN was meeting up at the Grandparents farm for Thanksgiving or less often, Christmas..!

Last Edited:
I used these until I was around 8 or so.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

We had great fun when one of my cousins got some water rockets. These were great fun but somewhat dangerous. My uncle had a large back yard so it was fine most of the time if you shot them straight up. Occasionally someone would launch at less than upright so we had to get permission for the next door neighbor so let us go into the backyard to recover the water rocket.

We had great fun when one of my cousins got some water rockets. These were great fun but somewhat dangerous. My uncle had a large back yard so it was fine most of the time if you shot them straight up. Occasionally someone would launch at less than upright so we had to get permission for the next door neighbor so let us go into the backyard to recover the water rocket.

Rocket Wars, another great aspect of childhood :D

Yeah, I know it's a zombie thread. But rather than create a new one just for this...

IMG_5537.jpg
Every kid on my street chewed stale Topps or Fleer bubblegum and carried a dog-eared stack of baseball cards in their back jeans pocket, bound with a rubber band. Boys and girls. We traded off our doubles, creating a sort of homogenous neighborhood pool (that, had we known and preserved them, would've left all of us quite well off today). It was just a fun hobby for a few years. I know my sister and I had:
- Mickey Mantle
- Roger Maris
- Willie Mays
- Sandy Koufax
- Don Drysdale
...and countless others I can't recall right now. Football too!
- Johnny Unitas
- Bart Starr
- Paul Hornung
- Gale Sayers

Extra cards, and those that didn't feature big heroes, wound up buzzing in bicycle spokes.

Last Edited:
Yeah, I know it's a zombie thread. But rather than create a new one just for this...

View attachment 808256
Every kid on my street chewed stale Topps or Fleer bubblegum and carried a dog-eared stack of baseball cards in their back jeans pocket, bound with a rubber band. Boys and girls. We traded off our doubles, creating a sort of homogenous neighborhood pool (that, had we known and preserved them, would've left all of us quite well off today). It was just a fun hobby for a few years. I know my sister and I had:
- Mickey Mantle
- Roger Maris
- Willie Mays
- Sandy Koufax
- Don Drysdale
...and countless others I can't recall right now. Football too!
- Johnny Unitas
- Bart Starr
- Paul Hornung
- Gale Sayers

Extra cards, and those that didn't feature big heroes, wound up buzzing in bicycle spokes.
I know I had one from somebody I never heard of pressed against the spokes of my bicycle for a while. Pretty sure my older brother had a Sandy Koufax. I definitely did not use it on the bike.

"Livin' the dream in the 60's... I think we were very fortunate, considering how it is for kids today..."
Yup. I was fortunate enough to know what it was like then. Can't say that things have improved. I think it is a lot harder to get established in life now than it was when I did it.

BTW, when I graduated in 1965 the average price for a Panhead chopper was ~$500.
That's $4178 in today's debased fiat money.

After playing electric guitar in occasional hard rock cover bands for decades, I've actually been digging Music Choice Solid Gold Oldies on cable TV, way up on channel 930.

Born in the 50s, I recently started re-visiting Top-40 tunes I haven't heard in 55-60 years. I leave it loud in the living room and cruise around the house doing other stuff. Occasionally, I'll run in to check if I correctly recall the name of an artist, or see their picture and read the accompanying factoids.

In a 1960 house filled with more traditional fare, how did I imprint pop music onto my DNA at age 5-6? I kept a Regency transistor radio under my pillow and listened for hours every night, careful not to drift off lest I wake up to a dead Eveready (they didn't last very long back then). And it's all been rattling around in my head ever since.

I looked up that shiny plastic radio on the Interweb just now and found some fair-excellent examples on eBay in the $599-$1199 range. Wow.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top