JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another powder that's relatively new and doesn't have a million "followers" yet is CFE223 from Hodgdon. If you see any of this, and not your old favorite, go for it. It's great powder for both .223 and .308 loads. I'm now using it for all my .223 loads and .308 where I use 168 gr, 175 gr, and 178 gr, bullets with great results. More speed without compressed loads. Same sub .200 groups at 100y as I got with varget with more speed to reach out to the longer ranges.

Also, after 200 rounds through the .308, almost NO copper trace on the patch when cleaning.

Since it's new on the market there might be more available due to the unfamiliarity.

Good point, deadshot. It might be possible to stumble across CFE 223 in local shops, but good luck finding any 8 lb kegs of it at a reasonable price. I hate paying $25 or more for a pound for powder, so I tend to look for deals on line and purchase in volume when I find one. I still have about 15 pounds of Accurate Data 86 Extruded left from a 24 pound purchase a few years ago. It is very close to Accurate 3100 in burn rate and works very well in my .243 Win., 6.5x55, and .270 WSM rifles. I agree on the CFE 223, I tried it and it is a very nice powder, and had it been available last night, I would have definitely gone that direction. Another one to consider that is fairly new for the .223/.308 is IMR-8208XBR. It might still be available at local shops and is an outstanding flexible powder that is our favorite for my son's .338 Federal and also works very well in the .223. The store where he works still has a couple of pounds left (the CFE-223 sold out weeks ago) so he was planning to pick up another pound or two today, just to be safe)

Just remember that there are two kinds of .223 rifles. Bolt actions can shoot just about anything that doesn't "banana peel" the barrel or turn the bolt into an unwanted projectile.

AR-15's and other gas operated rifles are a different matter. Only a few powder/load/bullet combinations will provide proper gas pressure spikes at the gas port that will cause the bolt carrier group to function properly. Failures to extract or failing to lock back on an empty mag are often caused by this.

During the last powder shortage I made a list of "Good AR-15 Powders" based on both my experiences, and reports of others, and carried it around. When I saw a pound or two of the powder actually on a shelf, I bought it.

Just remember that there are two kinds of .223 rifles. Bolt actions can shoot just about anything that doesn't "banana peel" the barrel or turn the bolt into an unwanted projectile.

AR-15's and other gas operated rifles are a different matter. Only a few powder/load/bullet combinations will provide proper gas pressure spikes at the gas port that will cause the bolt carrier group to function properly. Failures to extract or failing to lock back on an empty mag are often caused by this.

During the last powder shortage I made a list of "Good AR-15 Powders" based on both my experiences, and reports of others, and carried it around. When I saw a pound or two of the powder actually on a shelf, I bought it.

Would you mind sharing this list either by post or pm? :)

Thanks,

Richard

Got everything set up for 45 ACP right now.. I load 223 when I don't have anything else to do...I loaded ammo commercially for years and honestly IMO there is no money in loading 'Standard' Cartridges/ammo even if the client supplies all the components...
It's hard to figure labor for prep and load time and come up with a reasonable price that doesn't exceed Factory Ammo prices

I made some money loading small custom lots of ammo or wildcats

My profit was in excess components...( and I don't think you or I could do it today)

Just an example....You want 1000 223 loaded? OK...
If you handed me a nice bundle of prepped primed brass to load up we could work a deal there...Hand me a paper sack full of brass that has to be prepped, checked for crimped pockets..etc. etc....You would pay for 2000 primers, 1 extra lb. of powder over what was needed..and depending on where I got bulk bullets an extra 200- 500 at least...

This is just an example.. adjust accordingly depending on the situation

I closed and packed up my shop due to divorce 3 years ago and I'm still using my 'profit' components....

No...I won't load anything except for myself today

Thanks,

Richard

I tossed the list a year or two ago. Started buying powder in case lots so don't have to make the daily early morning run to Cabels's to see what they just put on the shelf.

I would suggest just getting a peek at a Lee's "2nd Edition", purchasing one of those fairly inexpensive "Single Caliber Reloading Data" books, or just visiting the websites of the powder manufacturers and compiling a current list of your own.

For example, you can go to Hodgdon.com, enter their reloading data guide, then enter the type and caliber of the cartridge you are loading for. For "manufacturer" of powder leave the choice as "all" and likewise for bullet weight. Then print the chart for every powder Hodgdon makes (Hodgdon, IMR, & Winchester).

Do the same for Accurate, Ramshot, Alliant, and even Vihtavouri if you want. Those are pretty much all the powders you'll see on local shelves.

Personally, I believe that the powder shortage will be somewhat alleviated after a few loads make it from the manufacturers to the distributors. This whole panic caught pretty much everyone by surprise. The pipeline is dry because the rate of fill hasn't kept up with the wide open tap at the retail end. Pretty soon cabinets will be full, credit card limits reached, and wives hollering "NO MORE" will slow the demand. Patience will pay off.

Thanks,

Richard
So far, I have successfully loaded Ramshot TAC, Accurate 2015, Varget, Hodgdon CFE-223, IMR-8208-XBR and Accurate 4064 in my AR-15. I also have some H-4895 that I am very confident will also work fine. Granted, for the AR, I suggest using the 55 gr bullets and up, particularly with the slower powders. Sure you can load 40 gr bullets with Varget or IMR-4064, but their velocity might actually be slower than the 55 gr bullets and they may or may not reliably work the gas system. I have loaded 40 gr bullets with TAC and Accurate 2015 and they functioned fine in my M&P 15 Sport. YMMV

I would recommend setting up to reload your own brass. It might take a while to find components, we didn't much in the way of bullets or primers here, before the craziness started. Once you're stocked up, you won't be so subject to the market fluctuations. I do hope things calm down...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top