Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone reload brass shotshells?

Discussion in 'Shotgun Discussion' started by ZA_Survivalist, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I have an old 16g winchester model 12

I found some 16g loads but Id like to start reloading for it so I can play with it a little more. I saw they have brass shotshells (though 16g wads are hard to find.. Or so I heard) and I wanted to start loading.. From what Ive gathered it seems like a little different process that with plastic hauls?

Any clarification would be GREATLY appriciated

Also, once I gather all the materials needed to make 25rnds, could I pay you for your time/expertise and for the use of your equipment (Beaverton to Forest grove)? I learn better when physically doing it while I am being taught, that too I would be greatly appreciative and like I said Id happily pay you for your time.

Reloading is a new venture for me, however Im also seeking to reload 44 special.

Anyhow, let me know! :)
    Thanks guys.

Sgt Nambu and Joe13 like this.
  2. zeppelin

zeppelin Benton County WA Active Member

My friend and I shoot a couple hundred rounds a week each at clays. We looked into reloading 12 guage, and if you figure in the cost of shot, shells, primers, powder and a reloader, it looked to us like it was not financially advantageous to reload given current prices for 12 guage target loads. Granted it might be for 16 ga, and it probably is if your loading higher end game loads which are going to be more expensive than target loads.

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  3. Wasniahc

Wasniahc Issaquah Member

Larry Potterfeild of midway USA did a little video of this thats on you tube.

Sgt Nambu and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  4. Wasniahc

Wasniahc Issaquah Member

5. ChefPaul

ChefPaul Pennsylvania New Member

Try looking at Buffalo Arms. I get my brass hulls and supplies there. I load them all by hand with no equipment, mostly black powder loads for an old gun.

It is a bit expensive, but worth it to me.

6. Model12boy

Model12boy Kentucky Member

Hello, Not for sure what year your 16 ga model 12 was made.. But a little advice before you purchase your supplies. They made 2 9/16 an 2 3/4 inch chambered 16 gauges if your gun is chambered for 2 9/16 a 2 3/4 inch shell will not chamber or eject out of the reciever port with out jamming up.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  7. Model12boy

If your gun was built prior to 1927 it will have the short 2 9/16 chamber build dates after 1927 are 2 3/4 inch chamber.

8. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

It's been some time since this thread was started - I have heard from a few people that they don't reload shot shells anymore because of the rising cost of the shot to put in them.

Did you end up getting your reloading components or did you just shell out the cash and buy a bunch of factory rounds?

9. Model12boy

I am a trap shooter an I reload all of my 12 an 20 gauge shells. As far as the 16 gauge goes I buy factory when needed.. I don't shoot the 16 gauge much.

10. Model12boy

Shot around here has dropped a little.. 8 years ago you could get a 25lb bag for 25$ And it got to 46$ a bag, now it's around 39-41$ a bag.. I shoot a lot of long range trap games.. It's a lot cheaper for me to reload a hot shell verses buying a magnum shell.. I can load bluedot an 1 3/8 load for around $6.25 a box verses 10-14$ for a high brass factory load.

Joe13 likes this.
  11. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Thank you man! Ill look at the date/serial number and find out.

Joe13 likes this.
  12. Model12boy

If your serial # is 510,693 or earlier it's a pre 1927 if your serial number is 510,694 it's built after 1927. Also some of those guns have been modified to accept 2 3/4 in shells. It may also be stamped on the barrel or around the serial # to what shell length it is chambered for.. Hope this helps a little.

ZA_Survivalist and Joe13 like this.