JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last summer I was invited to a charity golf tournament and it was my first round of golf ever. The people I played with said I was a natural and did great for never playing. I figured it was beginner luck until playing in another charity tournament over the weekend. I did great for only being my second time ever playing. I am really liking the game and want to get more into it. That said its totally new to me and I have no idea where to get started. My first goal is to get a set of clubs. Which looking online is making my mind hurt. I can get a full set with a bag for less than $300 if I wanted to, or I can get one club for $300 if I wanted to. How much do I need to spend to be a casual golfer and keep the equipment for many many years without regretting my purchase and wishing I bought something better to begin with?? Would I be better off buying a new set or buying a used set thats cheaper?? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

I live in a more rural area, so there are no real golf shops that are within an hour or of my location, so I am not sure if buying anything online would be my best bet?

More important than the clubs, is take a few lessons. Most venues have a pro/instructor that can give you some pointers to at least stay away from forming bad habits.

Last summer I was invited to a charity golf tournament and it was my first round of golf ever. The people I played with said I was a natural and did great for never playing. I figured it was beginner luck until playing in another charity tournament over the weekend. I did great for only being my second time ever playing. I am really liking the game and want to get more into it. That said its totally new to me and I have no idea where to get started. My first goal is to get a set of clubs. Which looking online is making my mind hurt. I can get a full set with a bag for less than $300 if I wanted to, or I can get one club for $300 if I wanted to. How much do I need to spend to be a casual golfer and keep the equipment for many many years without regretting my purchase and wishing I bought something better to begin with?? Would I be better off buying a new set or buying a used set thats cheaper?? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

I live in a more rural area, so there are no real golf shops that are within an hour or of my location, so I am not sure if buying anything online would be my best bet?

I used to play alot but only once or twice a year these days. I reached a point where I hit a plateau in my progression because I couldn't dedicate enough time into getting over the hump. in order to get better, you need to play or practice at least 3 times a week. If you're serious, take lessons.

Golf isn't for the frugal but I'd look on Ebay for a set of 1 or 2 yr old clubs and if needed have them re gripped for you. I like Pings but TM and others are good too.

Buy used clubs. That way, when you get mad and break one over your knee (tree, rock, caddie, one of those g*&$&* GEESE that seems to infest EVERY course in the univer... sorry... where was I...), it won't hurt your wallet so much.

At least that's been MY experience.

Remember: It's called GOLF because all the other four-letter-words had been taken.

Haven't played in ages. For me things like photography equipment, golf clubs etc if the limiting factor is your skills and not the equipment then just get good but basic functional equipment.

Then when your skills get to the point where the equipment is limiting what you can do, and not your skills, you can upgrade. At that time your knowledge of what you want/like/need will have evolved so that when you upgrade you are getting stuff that will help you. Vs if you try to buy higher end stuff right off the bat you are going buy what other people are saying to buy, not what you like and have learned that you need to improve your game.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top