JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am getting so many good suggestions, I had no idea there were so many .380 ACP's out there! I'm still favoring a breech lock system, but blowback is certainly more prevalent.
Good while back when most states decided to go with CC the .380 market really took off. VERY popular due to size. As mentioned most of the compact that are blow back do have some stout recoil for such a light round. There are several nicer full size that tame the recoil by weighing as much as many 9mm's. The locked breach is the way to go if you want small. They cost more to make though so you see a LOT of blow back action. One really good way to go is if there is a range with rentals around you. Try a couple small blow back. The recoil is for some no big deal. A lot depends of course on how much you want to use it. I have a Ruger LCPII in this caliber that is an always with me. It when new and running several boxes of ammo through was brutal even though its locked breech. Hand was bleeding in one place from the little dragon. Now just shoot a mag or two now and then to make sure and its fun for that little bit and a DREAM for carry since you can forget its there. They make one now that's a 13 shot in almost the same size package. Probably not a lot of "fun gun" but, great for carry for those who do not want a lot of size and weight.

Go with the Smith 380 EZ...soft shooter, easy to operate. (I got mine, tried it out, and put it in the safe for when I need a slide that's easy to rack. The blowbacks usually have a pretty stout recoil spring and that makes 'em a bit of a challenge to operate.) My other 380s are a Beretta 85F, Star 380, and CZ 83. The Star is only ok, but you won't go wrong with any of the other 3.

I have a star 380 and it is locked breach. I find it shoots very soft, do you not like the way it shoots? Or are you talking about it's somewhat lack of dependability?

I have a star 380 and it is locked breach. I find it shoots very soft, do you not like the way it shoots? Or are you talking about it's somewhat lack of dependability?
Not sure which post but, your Star is an old one then. They made them locked Breech a LONG time ago and they were GREAT little pistols. They went to blow back since it's of course far cheaper to produce them. Don't see the old style much any more since its been a good while.

Yes, my 380 ACP is a nickel plated star SS from the 1970s. It's 95% reliable all the time, so it's not a self-defense gun. I'm thinking about buying another one, under $500, because they shoot well and my wife seems to enjoy it.

Yes, my 380 ACP is a nickel plated star SS from the 1970s. It's 95% reliable all the time, so it's not a self-defense gun. I'm thinking about buying another one, under $500, because they shoot well and my wife seems to enjoy it.
The locked breech was how KT and later Ruger managed to put the .380 in pistols that were the same size as .22's and .25's used to be. Of course these are getting the pistol to the point were few if any will shoot it for 'fun". Those old Star's were just plain fun to shoot as they were so mild. Have always been a 1911 fanboy I of course loved how they were the same controls. With some probably minor work yours should be able to be 100%. Only downside now is if you wear something out replacement parts might be a chore any more. Shame they stopped importing them but I have to guess the market was just not there anymore sadly. Enjoy that little piece of history.

It has been around since 1908 and had always been very popular. Most are blowback for a reason.
The simple reason is ease of manufacture. The easier it is to make the cheaper they can sell for. Its all a trade off. The blow back design does cause more felt recoil but, as long as they sell people will make them. Ever shot one of the KT's or Ruger's? They are locked breech and are not what many would call fun. My current always carry is a Ruger LCPII. Its fine now for a couple mags now and then. When I first got it and ran multiple boxes of ammo through it to test it it managed to draw blood it was so rough on me. They could I am sure make these blow back and make them cheaper. Problem would be few would buy one or recommend one to someone else after trying it. :D

I have a "Baby Rock" .380. Like Gunnut says, it is a blowback, but it's a neat little gun that feels good and is fun to shoot. I haven't looked recently, but BiMart had them for $309, as I recall.

Compared to other concealed-carry models, it's big and heavy for the caliber, but again, it is fun to shoot. :)

I looked at the Colt Mustang Plus II for a while and may still get one, but the price kind of put me off for a while. They are a Mustang slide on a Government frame and feel really great in my large hands. The Plus II refers to the extra two rounds they carry in the extended magazine.

I ended up buying a Springfield Armory 911 .380 and I'm very pleased with it. Feels great in my hands with the extended mag and is built extremely solid like all Springfield Armory products... picked it up at a pawn shop for around $400 ...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top