JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm a fan of DA/SA's with decockers, I just feel they're a safer/better choice FOR ME than SFA's, especially the ones with fully tensioned strikers (most?). But was doing the "what next?" thing a few days ago, and stumbled across some info on the Canik TP9DA. Sounds like the perfect striker option for someone with my preferences, and as it's a Walther P99 clone, I already know it'll fit my hand well, from what I can tell, it shares about the same grip geometry/ergos as the VP9. BUT, there are almost NO reviews on this particular model, the DA just seems to get ignored. So, does anyone have one, and if so, what are you thoughts/feelings about it? Even better, do you also own a DA/SA with decocker to compare it to? I currently have a couple of CZ's, but have also owned a Taurus PT 92 and a Sig P220, as well as a few DA/SA's with safeties. Just interested in this particular model, although the other TP9 variants sound pretty nice, too, it's the decocker that really floats my boat. Thanks!

Dave

Following.

Had been considering them for a while, then the market went all wonky. So put on the backburner.

-Have "several" TP9SF's (the SA only), fantastic trigger & fits us well, so we shoot them well. The DA AFAIK is the same frame.

Have one of the Walther P99AS's, so if the trigger can come close on the Canik, it'd be a sure buy. Likely "several"...

Not exactly apples-to-apples, but l own a couple of P99s and a Canik TP9SFX. The Canik caught my eye a few yrs ago with the original TP9 because it was modeled after my beloved P99, complete w the decocker. The SFX lacks the decocker because its milled for OSP/RMR plates.

I give the Walther major points on the trigger, although the Canik is much better than one would expect, especially at the price point. It's just not quite as refined as the P99 (or PPQ, or VP9).
The P99's decocker is a great asset, IMO. I never felt particularly hinky about carrying a gun w a cocked striker, but the thought is always there... it's a mechanical thing and mechanical things sometimes fail. The decocker and subsequent AS trigger made for a great carry package and I'm more that a little surprised that no other manufacturers (besides Canik) ever even attempted to swoop in and encroach the patents on this. Maybe people view it as a gimmick?

I don't. A P99c was my EDC for several years and only got put aside for an HK P30sk... hammer-fired, but also w a decocker.

So basically, the Walther design is a good one. The Canik models based off of that design are also well-made guns, just without the German pedigree. You may give up a little in finish quality and attention to detail w the Turkish piece, but you'll also pay a helluva lot less (assuming pre-'Rona price trends are still valid... higher now, but similar) for a reliable gun with a lot to like.

Last Edited:
Thanks, guys. Bud's has the burnt bronze model for less than $400, I'm having a tough time NOT hitting the buy button :eek:. The only thing stopping me is I just don't know where it fits in my collection, it's not like I really NEED another pistol. Doesn't help that I have money burning a hole in my PayPal account, if they didn't have the restriction on using their service for buying guns, I'm afraid it would be a done deal by now. But my birthday's tomorrow, maybe I need to buy myself a present :D. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top