JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Magazine "count" all depends upon Department policy and just how much the Officer is willing or able to put on their Belt/Vest. When I was active as a LEO I carried a revolver and Two speed loaders for my primary and Two more for my BUG. I felt that was enough.

I carry a total of 6 for my duty pistol. Three on the vest, two on the belt, one in the gun. Total of 103 rounds.

For EDC, I carry one magazine in the gun, one in a magazine/flashlight carrier.

Glock 17. And one in the chamber. Nice. Is that standard issue with your department?

Summer time I carry 8 rounds. Totally hidden with jeans/shorts and a T. Winter I carry 16 rounds with one mag in a mag pouch on the belt. IF you've ever met me during a classified ad deal or whatever I was carrying. :cool:

Glock 17. And one in the chamber. Nice. Is that standard issue with your department?

Actually, M&P. Just about every agency in my county has gone M&P.

Mostly for me, its not because I believe I'll have to fire and maneuver through 100 rounds, its the ability to reach magazines with any hand. That, when sometimes the outer carrier isn't going to work, I keep two on my belt.

Actually, M&P. Just about every agency in my county has gone M&P.

Mostly for me, its not because I believe I'll have to fire and maneuver through 100 rounds, its the ability to reach magazines with any hand. That, when sometimes the outer carrier isn't going to work, I keep two on my belt.

Huh, good choice as well. Do you personally own one as well? I own Glocks and a Shield and think both are fine choices.

And as far as the number of rounds/mags, I get it. The ability to get to another mag quickly is more relevant than the actual number of rounds which more than likely and I sure hope you will never need.

Not LEO, but considering that I carry a single-stack 1911... my normal practice was a total of nine: one 7-rounder in well plus the one in the pipe, four 8-rounders on-body (two for active reloads, two as Equipment Failure spares) and four more ("have a backup, and a backup to the backup") in the briefcase/laptop case/day-on-campus textbook bag. (My textbook-carry pilot case was big enough I coulda been packing an M4 around and nobody would've ever known...)

The past few years, not under as active a threat, I've downsized to 4+1.

Last Edited:
I used to carry a couple, then when I downsized to just a single mini mag. When I moved to Seattle and had interesting encounters with road rage type people I immediately started carrying two extra mags again. I was surprised by how aggressive drivers in Seattle had become. I've been carrying three spares on person lately. Noticed a lot of cops doing the same. I started to do it because of all of the civil unrest going on.

Before I retired my normal load out was four extra 8 round mags for my 1911, model 60 J frame with two speed strips and with half dozen more mags and speed loaders in my patrol bag, an AR 15, and a 12 gauge pump with buck in it and extra buck and slugs in the car.

I usually carry 8 19rd mags plus 1 in the chamber......unless i have my AR in the truck, then its the 100rd drum in the gun plus 2 mag pouches with 7 30rd mags each....you can never be too careful

I always carry one extra magazine, regardless of the pistol. With my 380 that means a load-out of maybe 14 rounds, and with my G19 that means 31 rounds. The only reason I carry a spare is for the exceedingly rare occurrence that I may have a failure of some kind and need a new magazine.

Cops have a very different reason to carry extra ammo. One may be for the reason that I do...a failure reload...but they may also have to deal with the extra 3 bad guys in the back seat. That sort of multiple BG situation is possible for all of us, but incrementally higher odds for our police friends.

Massad Ayoob recently interviewed a LEO who carried a Glock 21 with 2 extra mags (40 rounds). He went through the first 2 mags and only ended the fight with 3 to the head of the perp at the end of his third mag. He now carries a G34/17 and a load-out of over 100 rounds.

Huh, good choice as well. Do you personally own one as well? I own Glocks and a Shield and think both are fine choices.

I have a 2.0 9mm that I will carry once Safariland gives their holsters the OK and we order some. At home, I am more of a Glock guy. A G22 by the bed, G23 for EDC. I could also go P226 by the bed and edc the P229. I've been on a metal frame kick lately. I'm out of the 1911 business all together. If I buy another, I'll probably go with something more classic and simple.

Depends on the pistol I have on my that day and what I am wearing. For travels into the urban areas it's a double stack 1911 10 mm with 4 mags of 17 rounds! For more normal carry it's a single stack 1911 10 mm with 10 rounds and 2 10 round mags! I also carry one of three back ups, depending on the area I am going to be, a compact 1911 .45, a Beretta Cougar 9 mm or a Walther PPK 9 mm Kurtz!
Before Obummer was elected potus, A single stack 1911 rode the belt and had 1 spare 8 round mag as a total!!! For hot summer times, I usually carried a Smith Stubby .38 but those days are long gone!:(

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews