JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Before i get jumped for fear mongering, I'm just asking a question based on my observations. And here they are.

I have an ammo budget and rarely go looking for it, i wait for sales and buy when the price is right.

I went to the Hillsboro Bi-Mart about a month ago for other stuff and stopped by the sporting goods counter to check prices. I asked the Woman working there if they had any of the M855 cans left? (For those not familiar, they are new production LC, 62 grain AP rounds, 420 count, in a USGI 30 cal ammo can.) She said if they did they would be on isle, blah blah. I checked and they were out. I asked if they would be getting more next week? She said; i doubt it, not sure if we will anytime soon.

Was in the same Bi-Mart, Friday with the MRS. As she went shopping i decided to check out the gun counter. I found plenty of .22, .380 and 12 gauge but no 9MM, 40 S&W, .45 ACP, 5.56/.223, or 7.62X39 to speak of.

Just curios.

Lefty.

I'm more suspicious than that. I think some people are buying them up, bumping the price a bit, and selling it at gun shows. Might not be as cheap for a dealer as wholesale, but it can supplement your inventory.

Oops. Tin hat slipped a bit... B-)

elsie

The few times I've looked for things at Bi-Mart they've been running a sale so they were out of some items. Maybe people are stocking up some too. I haven't seen any widespread outages.

Bi-Mart had a great sale the last week on ammunition. I went in the week before the sale they were fully stocked. I went in last Wednesday and they were pretty stripped out. The sale had stripped out their inventory.

Ammo supplies and prices tend to ebb and flow. The Sportsmans Warehouse in Medford still has about a half a pallet of the m855 ammo cans at 149$, but their xm198 has gone up by 2$ a box recently. They still have pretty good prices on Tula 7.62X39 and Remington Low Recoil 00 Buck.

I have not noticed any big open spaces at bimart in their munitions section.
Only thing I noticed is when they no longer stock the 12Gauge shells that my particular shotgun likes, Federal Heavy field#4'S.
I have also noticed that there is no shortages of bulk pack 22's today.

I hope that BiMart doesn't start the stupid limit that they had before, because my wife and I do regularly shoot 1500 rounds of 22 most weekends, and i like to have a months supply on hand at all times.

I'm having flashbacks to the great ammo shortage of 2009. Most shooters probably saw it coming in early 2008 and took steps to ensure they had enough ammo to continue shooting knowing that panic buying will happen if a Dem is elected. However, who could have predicted a year later that people that don't own firearms, would be lining up to buy 4 boxes of ammo for a gun that they do not own?

I'm not sure what or if there is anything going on other than supply issues.

Looking for other members input and opinions.

Lefty.

Only seen shortages at Bi-Mart after a sale, Wholesale Sports on 82nd never has anything at a price worth buying. Still a good supply at the gun show this weekend in Portland. Also seems to be a ready supply on line at a decent price even with shipping if you're patient and shop around.

The irony of it all was in the latter part of 2010 I started noticing ads in the local advertising papers with people trying to sell ammo for more than what it was selling for in the stores (when they had it) and some were ever trying to sell it by the ROUND. I am thinking part of the ammo shortage was non-firearm owners buying it up thinking they were going to make money on it or gun owners buying it up and realizing they had overbought or never shot as much as they thought and there was a closet full taking up space.

I think it's mainly because people just got their tax money back and so are stocking up. It's also an election year, so that has to be a factor as well. I did notice a big shortage at my local bimart as well though.

Hopefully those that bought huge amounts in the previous run are still sitting on it, lessening the blow of the upcoming ammo run. The last one really started in the summer of '08 in my opinion. As soon as He Who Shall Not Be Named was obviously the next President, people started making runs on guns and ammo. That start is what created the "crisis" in '09/'10 because by that point, even if you had the $50 to spend on 1000 primers, they weren't there to be bought in the first place. No matter the price you were willing to spend, the stock simply didn't exist. There will be another run, but I don't think it will be as severe as the last one. Kip

Hopefully those that bought huge amounts in the previous run are still sitting on it
Judging by the prices people were asking for the ammo I previously mentioned they most likely still have it. With any luck you are right since all the fears that caused the run on ammo were unfounded.

BI Marts supplies ebb and flow with their sales and the time of year. They also buy deals like some of the spam can ammo and may not be able to resupply due to their wholesalers supplys.

I avoid most of this by making my own ammo pretty much as I need it. SO I always have a big supply of componets. With 4) different .30 cal rifles I can chose which to use the supplies for. And not have to have a huge pile for each.

Granted shortages of Primers and Slugs are annoying but a few good pay checks this spring and I'll be well insulated from that problem.

All I notice is that handgun ammo is not stocked very deep, one sale usually wipes things out at Bi Mart and quickly. I try to pick up ammo every week regardless if I plan on going shooting. I dont think we are going through a hoarding ammo period. Just small amount of supplies are being delivered to create better sales. Cause I doubt that the huge ammo manufactures cannot keep up with the demand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top