JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mica went thru 2 surgeries one for fatty deposit under his arm and a tumor. Hardest part was going to the vet to be laid. 18.5 yrs

Joe sorry to hear this, its never easy

vB1E39j.jpg

About 2 years ago we lost our Golden Retriever Sadie. I think it was cancer. She had a nice walk with my Wife on Friday and Saturday would not eat or drink. We took her to the vet on Monday and blood tests revieled that her liver and kidneys had stopped functioning. For about another $500 dollars I could have found out for sure but it wouldn't have made a difference. She was only 8 years old. It was very painful, but necessary. Two weeks ago Monday I put my Rat Terrorist Freddie down after 14 years He was great killed about 50 rats and quite a few squrills to. He could barely walk or control his bodily functions anymore.
When we all get to Heaven we're al gonna have a bunch of dogs. We are better off for having loved then and they us.

There is a recent study about female dogs that have been spayed and the increased risk of cancer.
The alternative is to tie the fallopian tubes and that lets the canines natural female hormones help ward off cancer cells.

Lost mine just a few weeks ago. I'm pretty convinced she had a brain tumor (tumors?) that was causing the occasional seizure. I witnessed a couple pretty major episodes but I'm sure there were others that I wasn't around to see. It didn't seem to affect her quality of life beyond a few seconds after she came out of it. So cancer, yes. But in the end it was heart failure that beat her. It happened pretty quickly. I noticed that she was a bit unsteady on her feet one morning and by the end of day 2 she was falling over. Her temperament never changed though and that's what made it really tough. Morning of day 3 on our way to the vet I was 99% sure it was her last car ride. Vet told me it was cardio myopathy and that treatment was not recommended on a 12 year old dog. She was sweet to the end but I just couldn't be in the room with her. It was quick and Companion was very respectful. I brought her home and buried her in a grove behind the house.

Nota' I'm very sorry for your loss. It's a tough time! SRG

About 2 years ago we lost our Golden Retriever Sadie. I think it was cancer. She had a nice walk with my Wife on Friday and Saturday would not eat or drink. We took her to the vet on Monday and blood tests revieled that her liver and kidneys had stopped functioning. For about another $500 dollars I could have found out for sure but it wouldn't have made a difference. She was only 8 years old. It was very painful, but necessary. Two weeks ago Monday I put my Rat Terrorist Freddie down after 14 years He was great killed about 50 rats and quite a few squrills to. He could barely walk or control his bodily functions anymore.
When we all get to Heaven we're al gonna have a bunch of dogs. We are better off for having loved then and they us.

Marty, I'm sorry for your loss, also! I hope we get to reunite with our pals too! SRG

I've lost 4, in my lifetime. Cried over each one. Never put them down myself, except for giving consent to the vet. They are family. And a best friend. They never hold a grudge. Always happy to forgive and forget. You are all they've got. And they give you their all.

Each past dog holds a special place in my heart. And each place will never be re-placed by any other. And once again, I have a new family member that is truly a joy in my life. She's currently developing her own special place and one she will one day reside in. In a special place of peace, joy and comfort in my heart.

There's unlimited places in our hearts for those who touch our lives. Don't worry about making room for them. And don't worry about ever forgetting them. They will live on.

I lost Maggie May - a Australian / Lab mix. She was laid to rest on November 23 , 2012 at 5:30 PM at Halsey East Animal Clinic. She had a double whammy - Melanoma and Lymphoma - I lost a little of myself that day. I am not a religious person but if there is a god maybe he is teaching me a lesson - enjoy the time with those you care about because the time is limited. I still miss her.

Seriously, put your best friend down!

In my house its out of the question, I let my best friend keep waggin till he or she cannot no more. Last one I had got full bore hit at 30 mph. Huge hemotoma, Dove Lewis came to my rescue, I paid, he recovered.

One before that stayed with me until the end, last 2 days were his only bad ones. I cant do that to someone I love.

And just because you can afford it does not mean it really is the best or right thing. I had a good friend who lost his lab Tuba to cancer. He spent close to five grand in treatment, In the end it prolonged his life about 4 months which where all miserable. I understand having to do all you can and you never know but in his case at least treatment was the wrong call.
Agreed. We had an Irish Wolfhound who at age 8 or 9 started bleeding from his nostrils. He had malignant growth in his brain, sinus, and nose cavities. 2 surgeries, 5 grand, and not a single good day during these months. Heartbreaking. Dogs are unconditionally faithful and loving. We tried to return that commitment.

The dog hasn't been eating for a few weeks now, took him in when it first began. Spent this evening in a follow up appointment, where we found out his white blood cell count is too high for them to measure. Specifically, the lymphocyte count, making it pretty clear he has canine leukemia. People talk about putting them down themselves when the time comes, but I know I won't be able to do it.

Anyone else been through this with their pup? Tough time.

View attachment 213706
We lost our Redbone Coonhound "Aggie" to cancer. She was just 3 yrs old. We chose not to treat the cancer because of the cost. We did treat symptoms to keep her comfortable. The vet said we would know when it was time to put her down. The vet was right, and when the time came it was pretty fast. A bad day turned into an all nighter and the next morning the family got to say goodbye as she went to sleep for the last time. This was at the Vet's office. I couldn't have done it myself. This was in 2007 and I still occasionally miss Aggie.

2014 saw the passing of Huckleberry "Huck". Huck also passed at the vet's office. Another Redbone, she was with us 14 years. Quite a character and the best dog that I've had in my 60 years. She is irreplaceable and has left us with an abundance of memories. She loved watching fireworks, and was scared of just one thing, the ironing board. She wasn't just a coonhound, skunks (poor me) it seemed, were her favorite game to catch. I will miss that trashy girl the rest of my life. Thank you for this thread.:)

Good luck with your dog's cancer, my hope for you is that the process proceeds as well as can be expected with as little pain as possible for all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top