JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just looking for a couple quick bits of info -

Hornady 124gn XTP
r-p, fc, and win brass.
CCI SP primers.
hs-6 or longshot powder.

I am having trouble finding much load data including from Hodgdon.
Know of anywhere with data on the 124 XTP?
I found one set of max and min for each the longshot and hs-6 but I would appreciate atleast one other source so I can average them.

Been using 5.2gn of longshot and 6.2 of the hs-6, and they each have wonderful groups. Though I have not chrono'd (dont own one) them I can clearly feel it is much softer recoil than cheap fmj plinking ammo like blazer 115.

6.2 gr of the HS-6 is going to be about 1100 fps but cranking up the powder to the max of 6.8 will only give about 60 fps more. I've used 6.5gr of HS-6 with the 124 gr XTP's with OK accuracy from both a CZ75 SP-01 and a Sig P-229. HS-6 can be a real dirty powder and I've quit using it for that reason. If you continue I wouldn't load it much beyond the mid-point for this bullet to at least cut down on the amount of un-burned powder left in the bore and surrounding areas.

Thank you both.
I couldn't find the 124 on the hodgdon load data site so I'm suprised it was in their manual.

I would have guessed much slower than 1100 with how soft they shoot. I'm using them in a sig 239, and they are one of the best performing bullets I've loaded pattern wise for this pistol.

I've also noticed that hs-6 is pretty dirty, but longshot is right up there with it I'm pretty sure.
If you don't mind, what powder have you switched to?

Thanks for the data and advice!

Thank you both.
I couldn't find the 124 on the hodgdon load data site so I'm suprised it was in their manual.

I would have guessed much slower than 1100 with how soft they shoot. I'm using them in a sig 239, and they are one of the best performing bullets I've loaded pattern wise for this pistol.

I've also noticed that hs-6 is pretty dirty, but longshot is right up there with it I'm pretty sure.
If you don't mind, what powder have you switched to?

Thanks for the data and advice!

I've changed to Power Pistol for all my 9mm loads. I load 6.4 grains of PP under a 124gr Montana Gold JHP. Chronograph's at just under 1200 fps in my CZ 75 SP-01. Same load with GDHP's is just a fraction slower chronographing at 1160 average.

I worked up max loads of various JHPs earlier this year, just not with the powders you're using.

124gr XTP
CCI 500
6.6gr blue dot
1.060" OAL
1049fps

124gr XTP
CCI 500
5.7gr power pistol
1.060" OAL
1128fps

124gr XTP
CCI 500
6.2gr power pistol
1.150" OAL
1167fps

These are all max loads, chronographed out of a glock 17. Mixed brass too.

For comparison, doubletap 124gr gold dots chrono'd 1243fps.

I normally just shoot mid-level loads from 9mm though, as there seems to be very little difference in velocity, recoil, or accuracy.

115gr bullets seem more accurate for me than 124gr does, regardless of the load/bullet type, and I've been really happy with the cost and accuracy of plated 115gr rainier HPs and bullseye.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top