JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
it's a fun little rifle.... bolt action. it was the first marlin i've owned since i was a kid. i can burn hundreds of rounds in my ruger 10/22, but with my .17, i tend to only target shoot with it and am conscience of what i spend on ammo.

what experiences have you guys had with them?

--c

it's a fun little rifle.... bolt action. it was the first marlin i've owned since i was a kid. i can burn hundreds of rounds in my ruger 10/22, but with my .17, i tend to only target shoot with it and am conscience of what i spend on ammo.

what experiences have you guys had with them?

They are he.ll on small creatures like squirrels and crows, also make short work of coyotes.

Last Edited:
Carlos, check out rimfirecentral.com. More .17 stuff on there than you can easily digest. As for the .17HMR being "more accurate" than a .22, I (and others who have extensive experience with both) would strongly disagree

.17HMR ammo is still relatively in its commercial infancy, and no effort has yet been made to produce match-grade cartridges. .22lr on the other hand has countless such offerings, which, in the right gun, and at ranges compatible with the cartridge (and even at ranges generally considered incompatible) is light-years ahead of .17HMR consistency and accuracy.

I am very happy with my .17HMR, and in my study of it, I can offer one solid hint: Find some Winchester ammo (BiMart sells it). A bit more expensive than the other offerings, but in my Savage it shines above all the rest for accuracy, as well as consistency from chronograph readings. Dismantling of the cartridge reveals this make of cartridge to utilize a different powder than all the rest, and puts to rest the contention that "all .17HMR ammo comes from one or two assembly lines, and differences between brands are merely cosmetic."

I just got some of the Winchester offering from Midway, we are going up this afternoon to try it out...
I also have the Marlin BB in stainless, I was surprised to see that a binary target could be set off by such a tiny pill.

i'v spent many days with the "dirty fast" 17, and i'v found that if the wind is up to about 5 to 10 mph....your shots at 100 yds. are going to vary by about 6", witch is enough to miss sage rats completely.....excuse me , but i'm going to stick with my 22 mag.....2000 to 2200 fps & 40 gr. it will get to were you are aiming, even with a little wind !

just my thoughts ........ steven

rusobr2: Bingo!

I prefer the .22WMR as well. Friends have been bringing their .17's out for our sage rat excursions for over 5 years. I shot their guns a lot, and found exactly what you did: My Contender carbine, with the 22" Bullberry custom barrel would do much better even in a 5mph wind. I got the .17 Savage as a Christmas gift last year, and spent almost all my gun time for the next 4 months with it. On a calm day, I really like it. When the breezes kick up, I grab the WMR (or the Hornet, which I can shoot cheaper than either of the rimfires).

I haven't shot my new Marlin XT-17V yet. Tomorrow.........Tomorrow....... then back to the killing fields for ground squirrels. Until now i've been using my marlin 22lr with yellowjackets in it. Now i'm looking to r-e-a-c-h out and touch something. I'll try to give a report on how this .17 shoots later.
shawn

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top