JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I dropped by Fisherman's Marine in Tigard on the way to buy some ammo from a local forum member. Wanted to see if they still had the Sig P938 Nightmare. I was happy, but suprised, to find that they still had the 928 in the case for $699.99. So I got my hands on it for a short while and it felt just like my previous 238 in my hand. Makes the long wait for the one I have on order worth it :s0155:

For anyone wanting to handle a 938, call Fisherman's Marine in Tigard, it may still be there but I don't understand why,
Yeh I agree, I was also surprised to see one available in a store so soon after release and amazingly enough it really did feel just like my p238. I was tempted to pick it up but decided to wait and once again to my surprise I was in Corvallis on Tuesday and actually came across a shield 40 which I immediately bought. Man, maybe I better go buy a lottery ticket.

My local dealer called this afternoon to let me know he had his first Sig P938 in his hand. Not the Nightmare that I had on order, but even better, the P938 Extreme.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Comes with two magazines, one 6rd, and one extended 7rd, which is different from the Nightmare. All black, with wild tan/black grips. It came to him directly from Sig, not through a distributor, with a Born-on date of 08-June-2012, less than a week ago! Not sure I'm ready to sell my P238, but this looks like a keeper. I have a high opinion of my Kahr PM9 and am anxious to to compare these two (very different) 9mm's.

How do you like your pm9? I was thinking of either a cm9 or a p938 as my new conceal carry. Im not sure I can justify the price tag on the p938.

My local dealer called this afternoon to let me know he had his first Sig P938 in his hand. Not the Nightmare that I had on order, but even better, the P938 Extreme.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Comes with two magazines, one 6rd, and one extended 7rd, which is different from the Nightmare. All black, with wild tan/black grips. It came to him directly from Sig, not through a distributor, with a Born-on date of 08-June-2012, less than a week ago! Not sure I'm ready to sell my P238, but this looks like a keeper. I have a high opinion of my Kahr PM9 and am anxious to to compare these two (very different) 9mm's.

I've not seen a P938 SAS yet, but I have compared in detail the P238 SAS with other P238's and the differences, while subtle, are there. More rounded corners, but not even close to the so-called "melt" jobs seen on some guns like Kimbers from about 10 years ago. Sig's SAS is not even close to that extreme.

Having said that, I have a brand-new P938 Extreme born on 6-8-12 that I picked up last week, and for me it was not worth waiting for the SAS model. There is a difference, but not that much. This should make a fine carry gun, and is pretty snag-free, even without the additional rounding.

Your 938 Extreme is the first non Nightmare 938 that I have heard about reaching a buyer's hands. Nice to know that a few of the other models are shipping out to dealers.

Looked at a Nightmare today at Discount Gun Sales in the Lake City area. VERY heavy trigger pull for a single-action. Nice little gun but I think I'm going to pass. I was all set to buy one but this just doesn't do it for me.

Everyone seems to love their P238, including my brother. He uses it as a backup every day. I'm just curious why they're so much more popular than the p232, is it the size difference? I love my p230, it conceals well enough and still had an awesome grip and a blast to shoot. The convenience of being more concealable or cosmetics the reason? Just curious about peoples opinions!! I know the p238 is an awesome pistol

For me it's concealability pure and simple on the p238. I can wear shorts and a t-shirt and it disappears in my waistband. Had the 938 been out when I bought my P238, I'd have gotten it instead just for the extra stopping power over .380. That said I don't believe .380 to be as impotent as many others do...

Everyone seems to love their P238, including my brother. He uses it as a backup every day. I'm just curious why they're so much more popular than the p232, is it the size difference? I love my p230, it conceals well enough and still had an awesome grip and a blast to shoot. The convenience of being more concealable or cosmetics the reason? Just curious about peoples opinions!! I know the p238 is an awesome pistol

I've owned both the P230 and 232 and was very happy with both but
as you say the P238 is more concealable-that's main reason I favor it over the P230-and the P238 is lighter also and very comfortable to
wear-you hardly know it's there.

Cosmetics?-the P230/2 is one of the finest looking pistols out there, IMO, esp. the all stainless models-prettier than the P238.

BTW-I was surprised to see the P232 being used in the latest Oliver Stone movie Savages by one of the main characters who plays an ex-Navy SEAL. Surprised because you'd think he'd be carrying a larger caliber pistol.

Last Edited:
Well, my p238 HD is stainless and I find it to be beautiful. Rosewood grips, night sights... aefdc4cd-d61d-0321.jpg aefdc4cd-d639-f57c.jpg

I was at M&K Tactical in Hillsboro a couple of weeks ago and they had a 938. Don't remember which model but the fit, finish, etc was pure Sig. It was right next to a P238 and I didn't even notice the difference. I asked, "When do you think you'll get a 938 in?". He reached down right under my nose and handed it to me. Can't remember the price but it was well below what I thought it would be. M&K normally prices wholesale plus a certain percent, very reasonable. It was all I could do to give it back to him.

As to the question of Kahr CM9 vs Sig P938, I bought a Kahr CM9 about six months ago and couldn't be more thrilled with it. It's a double-action only trigger, but it's probably the smoothest pull of any trigger you'll ever have. It only comes with one six-round mag, but they're under $30 on line. Basically, the only differences between it and the more expensive PM9 are, 1) Conventionally rifled vs polygonally rifled barrel, 2) Etched branding vs roll marked branding, 3) the slide is not as rounded but more carved, but still very smooth and snag-free, 4) the front sight is staked in rather than dovetailed in, and 5) the slide stop is MIM rather than machined. I had one of the first model PM40s that flat out just wouldn't work so I was a bit leery, but man does it shoot well. Hides really well in an Uncle Mike's or Remora or other comparable pocket holster. I personally carry it in an old Kholster IWB tuckable holster that I originally bought for a PF-9 five years ago but a little attention with the hair dryer on the Kydex and it snaps the CM9 right in like it was made for it. It's essentially invisible, even when just wearing tucked in polo shirts and jeans. The CM9 is also specifically rated for +P rounds, per Kahr's FAQ, and shoots them with amazingly little recoil for such a small gun. I carry Speer 124 gr +P Gold Dot self-defense ammo in mind and it's snappy but easily controllable and comes right back on target. Even though the P938 is pretty cool, I still think I'd stay with the CM9. For half the price, you get a gun that'll serve you righteously whenever you need it. Parts are also very easy to obtain and their customer service seemed great, despite the initial design problems with my original PM40.

The P232 is a fantastic carry piece, and is a very thin gun. It is a little physically larger (longer and taller) than some carry pieces but is thinner than most of them. It is fairly lightweight as long as it isn't the stainless version. Personally I prefer the DA/SA P232 to the P238. I think people just like the short and squat size of the P238, but I personally would be more accurate shooting a P232 due to the better grip and more natural aim for me.

So far the Ruger LC9 to me is still a good choice; about the size of the P232 but in 9mm. If Sig made an alloy P232 in 9mm I'd probably be all over it.

Can't tell you why but I liked my 238 more than the 938. My hands have never been sore after shooting any pistol, but they were after 50 rounds through the 938.

also bought p229 sas gen 2 with short reset trigger. It redefines what a good trigger can be in both SA and DA.

I am trading in a Kahr PM40 on the Sig P938 for the same reason. The very small frame and the large caliber left my hand sore and at one point, my finger bleeding. I don't think the 9mm will come close to that. I have a philosophy that in a self defense situation, I would not be firing 50 or 75 rounds at a time.